grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

0 I guess they didn't want to deal with the inevitable backlash of Black Panther got getting nominated.

cowards

Jimbo may actually be right on something here

2 minutes ago, 75Live said:

so basically the Oscars just turned into the People's and Kid's choice awards :P 

And people don't even watch that shit.

What the Oscars need to do is get the show down to 1 hour and stick the shit on YouTube Live.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Pretty much it’s a “Favorite movie over x DOM/WW” award.  I’d reckon it’ll be a 150m cut-off (potentially even 100m)

Other years would have looked something like this

1. Get Out

2. Dunkirk

3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

4. Logan

5. Wonder Woman

1. La La Land

2. Hidden Figures

3. Zootopia

4. Deadpool

5. Rogue One

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. The Martian

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

4. Inside Out

5. Straight Outta Compton

but wait la la land didn't reach your 150 million cutoff until after the oscars! if they use box office as a barometer then they'll screw over late releases. American Sniper, the highest grossing film of 2014 and a best picture nominee, wouldn't be eligible for this because it went wide the day after the nominations came out.

• Like 4

I do agree that this does feel like a pre-emptive way of saying "sorry not sorry" for when Black Panther doesn't get nominated for Best Picture so they could avoid backlash. Though the announcement of this category appears to have brought backlash anyway so lose/lose either way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

but wait la la land didn't reach your 150 million cutoff until after the oscars! if they use box office as a barometer then they'll screw over late releases. American Sniper, the highest grossing film of 2014 and a best picture nominee, wouldn't be eligible for this because it went wide the day after the nominations came out.

It’s just another reason why this award is stupid.  

They could maybe do something like “Best Large-Scale Production” or something like that.  Still stupid, but would be a way to award the typical blockbuster

I would be way more on board if this was like the French equivalent where they just flat out give the award to the biggest Box Office Earner of the Year/Eligibility Period. 

• Like 3

My thoughts on this:

1. This is a clear attempt to get ahead of the possibility of Black Panther getting snubbed and all the subsequent "WHY ARE THEY SO OUT OF TOUCH" articles

2. They're spending too much on shows that don't justify the budget with ratings.

3. Cutting the tech categories may be an OK solution to keep the show shorter but they really should aim for 2 hours cause 3 is still way too long for most people

Edited by Rebeccas

Is any potential new viewer seriously going to sit through 3 hours just for one category though? That's what doesn't make sense. I think cutting the length of the show is a good idea but they should start with the useless montages and musical numbers first.

• Like 3