grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The actual cool thing to do would be to add a Best Film That Made Under $10m category. That would cause them to actually watch/recognize/promote some good under-the-radar stuff. 

As soon as they nominated them though they'd probably make more than $10m.  The award buzz is what gets most of those year end films their box office.  They'd have to have a best film that made under $10m released before July category.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, jking123 said:

Honest question,did people really think Black panther had a shot at being nominated this year for BP?Havent seen it  but reviews don't seem  bad but arent their plenty of strong films out this year?

It definitely stood the best chance of any superhero film since The Dark Knight.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jking123 said:

Honest question,did people really think Black panther had a shot at being nominated this year for BP?Havent seen it  but reviews don't seem  bad but arent their plenty of strong films out this year?

Yes, absolutely. A lot of Oscar prediction sites had it high up on their list.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jking123 said:

Not sure, if not ranked 1 or 2 then it can get overlooked even if everybody has it in top 5

The film doctors at The Academy correctly diagnosed a problem: quality, popular movies being passed over for recognition in favor of lesser quality art house darlings. Unfortunately, the prescription (a new award) for the problem does more harm than good. Both Dunkirk and Get Out were far more deserving of Best Picture than The Shape of Water. Instead of giving the former films a ghetto award, those film doctors should devise a new prescription that prevents overrated and undeserving films like The Shape of Water and The Artist from winning or even being nominated.

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Instead of giving the former films a ghetto award, those film doctors should devise a new prescription that prevents overrated and undeserving films like The Shape of Water and The Artist from winning or even being nominated.

How does one could possibly devise something to make any movie not win (and we are talking in one case about a major MPAA studio movie, why would the industry make a device for is own studio movie not be available to win an Oscar)

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

For me, the ones I feel most bad for are the people who won't get to receive their awards during the commercial breaks (I think?) and not the actual show. It must feel terrible to work so hard for so long in the industry in a field that nobody really gets to see the making of only to be more or less told that "you're not going to be on TV because you're not instantly recognizable to the world."

Yeah, that sucks for them. It's a slap in the face at least on par with the select awards given at nominees' seats in the 2005 ceremony.

Really, it's just a maddening decision all the way around. Art and commerce aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, and making a token award for blockbusters and surprise hits sends a troubling implication that art doesn't have a place in the popular consciousness and popular films are on a different plane than less popular ones even when they're great.

• Like 2

Basic problem is still this - the people who would give a single shit about an Avengers or Fast & Furious movie showing up at the Oscars would still just watch the youtube clip of that award the next morning and not sit through 3 hours of stuff they don't care about just for 2 minutes of something they're interested in? If you're catering to that demo, then you need to do a lot more than just add one category.. and its not like the MTV Movie Awards have gotten more popular over the years either and they've done everything including add TV awards to the show lmao. People who only watch popular movies just don't care about any awards? You're not going to change that so why alienate your current fanbase by chasing a group of people who will never be interested.

• Like 5

Previously cared about 0 categories. Now I will care about, like, half a category. So for me I guess this is good, but not as good as nominating the movies that end up here in an old category like best picture.         

This will probably help help stem the decline of Oscar ratings. So for them I guess this is also good, but probably not as good as nominating the movies that end up here in an old category like best picture.         

Edited by Thanos Legion

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Previously cared about 0 categories. Now I will care about, like, half a category. So for me I guess this is good, but not as good as not as good as nominating the movies that end up here in an old category like best picture.         

This will probably help help stem the decline of Oscar ratings. So for them I guess this is also good, but probably not as good as nominating the movies that end up here in an old category like best picture.         

Nobody's gonna sit through a 3-hour ceremony just for one category.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The film doctors at The Academy correctly diagnosed a problem: quality, popular movies being passed over for recognition in favor of lesser quality art house darlings. Unfortunately, the prescription (a new award) for the problem does more harm than good. Both Dunkirk and Get Out were far more deserving of Best Picture than The Shape of Water. Instead of giving the former films a ghetto award, those film doctors should devise a new prescription that prevents overrated and undeserving films like The Shape of Water and The Artist from winning or even being nominated.

Undeserving is in the eye of the beholder.

Shape of Water was one my top 3 films last year.  Neither Get Out nor Dunkirk were near my top 10.

They just have to go back to the rating system from 2009/2010 which yielded far more variety because it put less emphasis on voting #1 for the most Oscary of films.

• Like 6

I would have much preferred if they changed the whole Best Picture landscape.

A. Have Five Best Picture Catogories:

1. Picture - Drama

2. Picture - Comedy

3. Picture - Genre (Hodgepodge for Action/Horror/Etc)

4. Picture - Animated

5. Picture - Limited (Films with only 1500 or Under Theaters for an Initial Run)

* Musicals would go in whatever category is their second genre 

B. The Top 2 Vote Getters From each category automatically become eligible for the 10 film “Best Picture” award. 

It might add add more time to the ceremony, but who cares. The length issue is a rouse. With less people in America owning traditional TVs and paying for traditional cable, you will never get the numbers back up. If they want more people to watch, they should stream it free on their website or have it available in Hulu or Prime. 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 8

Having a different animated movies category was already frustrating. Just nominate 10 movies. 5-7 most voted by academy member, 1 most popular, 1 animated, 1 under $10m or whatever. And choose the winner from among them. Also cut that pizza and theater shit which takes 15-20 mins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

I would have much preferred if they changed the whole Best Picture landscape.

A. Have Five Best Picture Catogories:

1. Picture - Drama

2. Picture - Comedy

3. Picture - Genre (Hodgepodge for Action/Horror/Etc)

4. Picture - Animated

5. Picture - Limited (Films with only 1500 or Under Theaters for an Initial Run)

Can we please limit this to the Golden Globes? Thank you.

• Like 1