sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

https://deadline.com/2018/08/the-meg-chomps-a-huge-4m-on-thursday-night-box-office-1202443644/

Warner Bros.’ big shark movie The Meg starring Jason Statham swallowed $4M last night at showtimes that started 7PM. Tracking has the movie bound for No. 1 with a a low-to-mid $20M take, which is not that far from other Hollywood co-productions that were built primarily for booming Asian cinema markets, read Skyscraper  and Pacific Rim Uprising which respectively did $1.95M and $2.35M in Thursday night previews before churning out opening weekends of $24.9M and $28M.

Meg, directed by Jon is largely financed by China Gravity, which is releasing the pic in the Middle Kingdom, with Warner Bros. having a 40% exposure on the production that reportedly costs a net of $130M.

• Like 3

Just now, baumer said:

@Sheikh....um....you might be right with the possibility of 40.  That's a fucking huge number for MEG!

I knew it would be huge, I don't know how high though, went with 35m in the Summer Game and Derby.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/the-meg-chomps-a-huge-4m-on-thursday-night-box-office-1202443644/

Warner Bros.’ big shark movie The Meg starring Jason Statham swallowed $4M last night at showtimes that started 7PM. Tracking has the movie bound for No. 1 with a a low-to-mid $20M take, which is not that far from other Hollywood co-productions that were built primarily for booming Asian cinema markets, read Skyscraper  and Pacific Rim Uprising which respectively did $1.95M and $2.35M in Thursday night previews before churning out opening weekends of $24.9M and $28M.

Meg, directed by Jon is largely financed by China Gravity, which is releasing the pic in the Middle Kingdom, with Warner Bros. having a 40% exposure on the production that reportedly costs a net of $130M.

It's going to blow past mid 20's with a 4 mill preview.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sheikh said:

I knew it would be huge, I don't know how high though, went with 35m in the Summer Game and Derby.

My guess is you are going to have the highest prediction in both games.  

A couple of comps....Ocean's 8 did 4 mill and did 41.6.

A Quiet Place did 4.3 and did 50.3

RPO did 3.75 and did 41.8

Not apples to apples for any of these, but just throwing it out there.  35 looks like it's the floor, imo.  40 is doable.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Shark movies are the new comic book movies.

Well, let's not get carried away.  47 Metres Down and The Shallows did well but nothing to suggest that shark movies are the new thing.  Without getting carried away here, if MEG isn't too front loaded, it will surpass 47 MD in 4 days.