sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

The Meg has 61% Audience score on RT, wom won't be great

But there's a definite curiosity factor here.  Not sure if audience scores are going to matter this weekend.  For the future, sure it will.  But for this weekend, it should do well.

• Like 1

PRU was a very front-loaded movie and a sequel. It did 12x the previews (2.35) in ow (28.12). But was out of summer in March. Even 10x for 40 ow would be great.

EDIT: PR1's July multi gives it 41 ow but with previews getting heavier over the years probably mid-high 30s is more realistic.

Edited by a2k

Just now, baumer said:

But there's a definite curiosity factor here.  Not sure if audience scores are going to matter this weekend.  For the future, sure it will.  But for this weekend, it should do well.

And even then this will still benefit from being an August release where there are slim pickings for audiences. Given WOM isn't complete shit, it should still come close to a 3x.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's going to blow past mid 20's with a 4 mill preview.

Yup. Even if the genre is different but still comparison's sake, Annabelle: Creation managed a preview to weekend multiplier of 8.752 this time last year. A:C also had 4m in previews. The Meg can't possibly have a worse internal multi than a horror sequel to a horror prequel that happens to be the 4th movie in the franchise. That 8.75x gets The Meg to 35m on OW. @Sheikh was spot on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a2k said:

PRU was a very front-loaded movie and a sequel. It did 12x the previews (2.35) in ow (28.12). But was out of summer in March. I feel these factors could cancel out and Meg might appraoch the same multiplier? Even 10x for 40 ow would be great.

PRU's OD was 10.33 or 4.4x the previews. That gives Meg around 17.6 OD

Even if Sat stays flat from true Friday,

17.5 (4.0 + 13.5)

14.0 (-20%/+4%)

10.5 (-25%)

= 42.0 (less than 2.4x from 100)

You mean Pacific Rim Uprising?

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, let's not get carried away.  47 Metres Down and The Shallows did well but nothing to suggest that shark movies are the new thing.  Without getting carried away here, if MEG isn't too front loaded, it will surpass 47 MD in 4 days.

lol I know. It's just the fact that this isn't a total bomb is an impressive achievement even if it won't exactly go down as a hit due to the budget until foreign totals are added in (which is the audience this was really made for anyway). It'll make much more than Skyscraper at least (poor Dwayne). :lol:

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Audience scores:

Dog Days: 90%

BlacKkKlansman: 81%

The Meg: 61%

Slender Man: 44%

I'm shocked Klansman isn't being downvoted by trolls. If it is, the effect is super small.

Slender Man is higher than I expected :lol: 

Isn't 61% really low for The Meg?

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, let's not get carried away.  47 Meters Down and The Shallows did well but nothing to suggest that shark movies are the new thing.  Without getting carried away here, if MEG isn't too front loaded, it will surpass 47 MD in 4 days.

47 Meters Down was carried on the entirety of Claire’s shoulder, and there was only so much Entertainment Studios could do for their first feature after paying Claire $5M for the other leading role.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Damn I only put like 25.5 or something for Survivor. Well fuck me

@YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Empire @Rorschach @Slambros @WrathOfHan @baumer @captainwondyful @Claire of Themyscira @anybody else I might be missing from survivor how high did you guys go?

I put 28.5 in my Survivor, Derby, and Summer Game. I thought about going higher based on my theater's sales but decided not to after Christopher Robin was way off last week

• Like 2

I saw The Meg last night in IMAX. My audience was very into it. Jumping at the scary parts, laughing at the funny bits.

It’s not the best movie ever — without spoilers, I see where the 66% come from — yet I see no reason for a Bad WOM. What are they gonna say? “It is stupid. Jason Statham punches a 75 Foot Shark.” I KNOW. He better. It is what I signed up for. 

PS: @DAJK I went with like 28 and change. 

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Damn I only put like 25.5 or something for Survivor. Well fuck me

@YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Empire @Rorschach @Slambros @WrathOfHan @baumer @captainwondyful @Claire of Themyscira @anybody else I might be missing from survivor how high did you guys go?

I put 31.5

3 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Stubby Godzilla 2014 legs upcoming.

We've got a fantastic preview number, way way way bigger than any of us thought it could do.  Let's celebrate that before shitting on the film's potential legs.  

3 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

47 Meters Down was carried on the entirety of Claire’s shoulder, and there was only so much Entertainment Studios could do for their first feature after paying Claire $5M for the other leading role.

I'm not dissing 47MD.....I'm just responding to filmlover when he said shark movies are the new comic book movies.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1