sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Universal ain't WB when it comes to marketing. I bet you WB could have opened Skyscraper better than Universal did. I don't know why The Meg did so well because I didn't follow it's marketing. 

Skyscraper no matter what studio wouldnt be a big blockbuster. WB are great at marketing tentpoles, horror films, and escapist entertainment. 

The Meg looked like a fun movie by its marketing. 

• Like 1

I think what turned The Meg into a success is that they embraced the fact the film wasn't serious, and then turned the marketing into a funny campaign. I mean, a week ago I was still thinking that if this film hits 50 million $ domestically, it will be a success. Now, we are looking at potential 110-120 million $ US total.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Skyscraper no matter what studio wouldnt be a big blockbuster. WB are great at marketing tentpoles, horror films, and escapist entertainment. 

The Meg looked like a fun movie by its marketing. 

Skyscraper the movie did not deliver on the fun premise it had. It ended up being a bit too serious for its own good. They either needed to commit and make it full serious or full wink wink in on the secret type of movie. It ended up being neither.

• Like 1

The Meg broke out far higher than I thought it would go in even the best of circumstances. Clearly, Warner Bros did a surprisingly good job of striking viewers' interest with their sizable campaign. The relatively soft release schedule in the coming weeks should allow it to display at least decent staying power.

Mission: Impossible didn't hold up as well as I had anticipated it would, though that's probably due in no small part to The Meg's breakout performance. Even so, it should still be on track to top Mission: Impossible II as the top domestic earner in the series.

Christopher Robin got hit hard, but its hold is only a little weaker than the one Pete's Dragon posted two years ago (though that film had to face competition from Kubo and the Two Strings). It still has a kind schedule with limited competition ahead of it, so it should still be able to leg its way to at least something in the range of $80-85 million.

Slender Man did okay - not a breakout, but not the disaster it could have been amid the report that Netflix (Netflix!) declined to buy it from Sony. The coming weeks will not be kind to it if the D- CinemaScore is any indication.

BlacKkKlansman is off to a really good start. It's such a topical film that will get its target audience excited, so I'd bet on it displaying strong staying power.

• Like 1

next weekend predix w/ light holds.  

0.18 - First Purge - 68.78

0.30 - Skyscraper - 66.80

0.70 - Darkest Minds - 15.05

0.80 - Teen Titans - 27.61

1.00 - Eighth Grade - 12.31

1.40 - Jurassic World - 412.10

1.60 - Dog Days - 6.93

2.50 - Incredibles  - 594.60

2.60 - Ant-Man - 208.50

3.70 - Hotel Tran - 154.20

3.70 - Equalizer 2 - 96.00

4.00 - Spy/Dumped - 32.50

4.10 - Mamma Mia - 112.20

5.30 - Slender Man - 22.20

6.60 - Black Klansman - 22.60

9.00 - Christopher Robin - 67.80

9.00 - Alpha - 9.00

12.50 - Mission: Fallout - 184.50

16.00 - Mile 22 - 16.00

20.00 - The Meg - 86.50

22.50 - Crazy Rich Asians - 33.00

10 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think IX is touching 600 without a very well received marketing campaign and movie. And of course I've expressed my doubts on TLK hitting 600 many, many times. 

Then you can stop doubting, because there's but a very tiny chance that TLK fails 600. It'll open north of 200 and then have pretty much no family competition throughout the rest of late July/August (Dora The Explorer? Feque off). TLK is, like, the most iconic animated film maybe ever made. Everyone knows it, almost everyone loves it, it's massively well estabilished in pop culture, and the teaser trailer is likely going to be the Circle Of Life and it's going to break the internet. BATB was the juggernaut that it was, and it is not as popular as TLK. Take this for the bank: TLK is beating 600M and it has a chance to beat every film this year (including Black Panther). Is it one of the most unnecessary remakes of all time? Yes. Will it be gigantic? Absolutely.

As far as IX goes, I think it can cross 600M, but it depends entirely on wom more than anything. The Last Jedi had a 2.8x multiplier, which seems fairly good for the average blockbuster, but it's not so good for a 3-day December opener. If IX is much more of a crowdpleaser, hitting over 3x will be likely, and that will be of help in the 600M fight. That being said, unless the marketing is super attractive, I wouldn't give it a chance to beat TLK and top the year.

Out of the big Disney three next year, Avengers 4 and TLK are the two likelier ones to hit 600M, but to be fair, I'm not entirely sure about A4 either. Yes, I know, this feels like deja vu to the IW predictions and I was mad wrong with those, not to mention A4 does have a great hook to it (the OG Avengers assemble one last time alongside the new characters, but how are they going to deal with what happened?), but at the same time, I still feel like IW blew the whole "all of these characters are coming together" marketing load, and I find it hard to see how A4 will replicate business through and through. I can already hear the groans about how the events of IW will basically be reversed. Though, if it turns out to be an emotional finale for the OG cast and if Disney plays their cards right with the promotion, it could even outgross IW (that's a HUGE stretch given that IW grossed 680 fucking million DOM, but it's not impossible). It's a bigger wildcard of a film than anyone's willing to believe, I'd say.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 11:30 AM, AJG said:

Would be fun to see Meg crash and burn on Saturday and Sunday.

At this rate I might actually have to go out and watch it to see what all the fuss is about and I don’t wanna do that.

It did the exact opposite of crash on the weekend.

• Like 1

Interesting audience breakdowns for the weekend's releases:

The Meg overindexed among Hispanic audiences, with a number of the top-grossing theaters located in heavily Latino markets, according to Goldstein. The top-grossing theater in the entire country was in San Antonio, while other big earners were cinemas in Miami, Corpus Christi, Texas, and Phoenix.

BlacKkKlansman, from Focus Features, tells the true story of two Colorado cops, one black (John David Washington) and one Jewish (Adam Driver), who infiltrated their local KKK chapter in the early 1970s. The movie, which nabbed an A- CinemaScore, drew a diverse audience. Caucasians made up 55 percent of the audience, followed by African-Americans (23 percent), Hispanics (13 percent) and Asians/Other (6 percent). More than 40 percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 35, while the film skewed slightly female.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/weekend-box-office-meg-has-surprisingly-huge-bite-445m-debut-1134136

• Like 3

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

Skyscraper the movie did not deliver on the fun premise it had. It ended up being a bit too serious for its own good. They either needed to commit and make it full serious or full wink wink in on the secret type of movie. It ended up being neither.

Skyscraper had boring trailers...... seen it all before.