sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

Great to see The Meg overperforming. Is WB the only studio left that continues to invest in new, "original" blockbuster franchises? Everyone else seems to be trying to revive old ones or get into the superhero game. The Legend of Tarzan and King Arthur were surprisingly good and very underrated. Because it's WB, there's no support from critics, bloggers and the media. Good luck with your million Avengers, and Jurassic Worlds and Disney fairytales.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

54 minutes ago, a2k said:

If Jaws shows an ocean park like jurassic park where people stay under-water for a few days (there are hotels that let you stay below the surface) and there are leaks and structural damages that sharks can expolit, then that would be something. Human township under-water vs sharks.

Else to make a shark movie capable of 150-200 ow today is nearly impossible. Dinosaurs can move around on land and that makes it easier to put together a sub-par JP. Difficult to do that once you restrict physical freedom. The characters and emotional qotient needs to be solid like with Jaws. Jaws reboot would be matched with pessimism imo.

That's pretty much what I was envisioning: a theme park of sorts, maybe even an underwater one (I bet they'd call it Atlantis or something like that :ph34r:) that is assaulted by a shark... or more than one. It could have some interesting themes if well done. I.e. I envision the Amity people - cause if it's a Jaws movie, it better be in Amity - trying to capture as many sharks as they can into some kind of aquarium, in order to keep them as far apart from the beaches as possible, but then a lot of other people say that's unfair to these animals, which only kill in order to feed and survive and should freely roam the seas; someone could help the sharks escape, and a few of those would return to the ocean, some others would go about killing people left and right..... it'd be a pretty topical film, especially in an America where SeaWorld exists. Kind of in the vein of the 2006 video game Jaws Unleashed. Sure, these are all dumb movie ideas, but hey, it's not like doing a Jaws sequel is gonna get any easier than going the dumb route, after all. And yeah, of course, you can't have Jaws without good characters... not the one-note caricatures of the Jurassic World movies. You'd struggle to find as great a balance as that of the trio of Brody/Quint/Hooper, but a good screenwriter could still get you some likeable, memorable characters to go along.

I wouldn't want a Jaws reboot either. When I said 'soft reboot', I meant in the Jurassic World-sense of "this is a sequel that ignores the previous sequels". But I would still want it to be in the same universe as the original. And hey, while we say that 150-200M OW for a shark movie is nearly impossible, last year we had an R-rated movie about a scary, child-eating clown making 123M, so it's only a few steps forward :P In all seriousness, the Jaws name + an impeccably well handed marketing campaign that puts shark fear in people's minds again (albeit in a healthy, non-paranoid way) + the JW release date of mid-June + wom that puts it over as a crowdpleaser could possibly push the film to those heights. I don't think that the franchise has as much ability to be dynamic as the Jurassic films, not even close, but I really do feel like a smartly realized revival could breach into mega blockbuster territory. These shark movies, as long as they don't become an overdone genre, have plenty of untapped potential, as The Meg is kinda proving right now.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

JAWS is my fave film and I would love to see a remake.  I'd love to see them give it a shot.  Keep the original theme and structure.  I'd also love to see them make another Bruce.  No FX, but a real mechanical shark.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, baumer said:

Only a 36% drop for MM.  This should sail past 120.  Good total for a sequel to a pretty big hit.  

I think what helped Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is that it's a better film than MM1, 

29 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Great to see The Meg overperforming. Is WB the only studio left that continues to invest in new, "original" blockbuster franchises? Everyone else seems to be trying to revive old ones or get into the superhero game. The Legend of Tarzan and King Arthur were surprisingly good and very underrated. Because it's WB, there's no support from critics, bloggers and the media. Good luck with your million Avengers, and Jurassic Worlds and Disney fairytales.

Universal took a punt on Skyscraper and I believe unless it's changed they'll be involved in Red Notice so occasionally, studios do take a punt on original ideas. 

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

JAWS is my fave film and I would love to see a remake.  I'd love to see them give it a shot.  Keep the original theme and structure.  I'd also love to see them make another Bruce.  No FX, but a real mechanical shark.

I think Spielberg or Universal would really need to persuaded to let someone remake Jaws, it's likely under the no go area like Back to the Future. 

• Like 3

EARLY SUNDAY AM UPDATE: Warner Bros./China Gravity’s co-production The Meg is swimming in with an opening between $44M-$45M at 4,118 theaters — the second widest August release after Suicide Squad (4,255 locations).

Meg held fantastically well on Saturday with $16.3M, -1% from Friday’s $16.5M, which remember includes $4M of Thursday previews. Technically, Saturday is really +30% over Friday which means that Meg wasn’t frontloaded like a genre movie.

Edited by TMP
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 5

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Arthur is good but Tarza?? 🙃😪

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The WB marketing department should get a raise or a bonus. 

More credit to the scheduling tbh.

The Rock+Monsters can somewhat withstand the onslaught of incoming summer but The Meg probably wouldn't have survived in Rampage' place.

• Like 1