sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

A few months ago, I would have thought The Meg would be lucky to make $40M during its entire domestic run. Clearing that much in its OW is all the proof anyone needs that Americans and Canadians love mindless, fun movies during the summer.

A third weekend gross of at least $20M for MI: Fallout is very impressive. Some movies that open above $100M are barely able to make that much in their third weekend, let alone a film that opened just above $60M. $200M is just a couple of weeks away.

Up and down the weekend chart, this turned out to be a very exciting and interesting weekend for the middle of August.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 1

Predictions for the top ten next weekend:

Crazy Rich Asians: 27M (36M 5 day)

The Meg: 25M

Mile 22: 15M

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: 13.4M

BlacKkKlansman: 8.6M

Christopher Robin: 7.5M

Alpha: 6M

The Spy Who Dumped Me: 4M

Slender Man: 3.8M

The Equalizer 2: 3.7M

Like I said last night, the race for #1 is going to be TIGHT. Klansman is also a wildcard because of a potential expansion.

11 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

With the success of the JW and Godzilla/Kong franchises, Rampage and now The Meg hopefully we get more creature features and genre films in general.

Yeah. I hope so too.

Sadly some creature feature/animal-focused movies didn’t/may not overperform as they should have. Case in point: ”War for the Planet of the Apes”, last year. That film should have done much better at the box office, considering the quality of it’s predecessors.

But for some weird reason, it didn’t happen.

• Like 1

It's going to be neck and neck for which between Rampage and The Meg has the higher WW total. Rampage had $148.6m in its first OW compared to The Meg's $141.5m so about $7.1m difference but I think The Meg hasn't opened in some markets yet 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

It's going to be neck and neck for which between Rampage and The Meg has the higher WW total. Rampage had $148.6m in its first OW compared to The Meg's $141.5m so about $7.1m difference but I think The Meg hasn't opened in some markets yet 

The Meg will definitely beat it because of domestic alone IMO

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Meg over Solo worldwide??

Looks very likely. Meg should go above 400M WW since there's no competition of note upcoming. 

Statham will have the last blockbuster of summer 2 years in a row with the Shaw and Hobbs movie.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Its interesting to me that a film like Wonder Woman grosses 412M and is considered a cultural phenomenon, while JW: FK will gross more than that and is at best considered just another blockbuster.

Good example imo why raw numbers are only 1 small part of the whole package, when it comes to "cultural phenomenons".

Yeah, and how they made their relatively nearly the same domestic money is different. Same thing with Jumanji: WttJ.

Movie 90% of
Gross
on Day
Multiplier
(DG ÷ FW)
Domestic
Gross
First
Weekend
Box Office
Position
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Jun. 2018)* 26 2.77 $409.6M $148.0M #4 (2018)
Jurassic World (Jun. 2015) 31 3.12 $652.3M $208.8M #2 (2015)
Wonder Woman (Jun. 2017) 41 4.00 $412.6M $103.3M #3 (2017)
Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle (Dec. 2017) 54 11.18 $404.5M $36.2M #4 (2017)
* highlighted in yellow: numbers are not final / still in theaters / numbers from latest estimate

display of dollars rounded to nearest hundred thousand

numbers current as of August 12, 2018

Even how Avengers:IW and Black Panther and other >$600M made their money was different.

Part of it is sequels being more frontloaded and whether they dropped from their predecessors. And then with first Wonder Woman there's also the novelty of a successful female comic book superhero movie.

• Like 2

I can see why The Meg scored big this weekend, respectively. It's a no-frills crowd pleasing monster flick primed for the later summer crowd. It's Deep Blue Sea lite (sorry, Deep Blue Sea is still the champ of B-Grade shark films). Well made disposable entertainment with Statham enjoyably reveling in the fact that he knows he's in a "Statham vs. Big Ass Shark" film. They were wise to keep him out of the picture for a little while after the introduction. His presence brings it all together.

Edited by ThePhasmid

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for the top ten next weekend:

Crazy Rich Asians: 27M (36M 5 day)

The Meg: 25M

Mile 22: 15M

Mission: Impossible - Fallout: 13.4M

BlacKkKlansman: 8.6M

Christopher Robin: 7.5M

Alpha: 6M

The Spy Who Dumped Me: 4M

Slender Man: 3.8M

The Equalizer 2: 3.7M

Like I said last night, the race for #1 is going to be TIGHT. Klansman is also a wildcard because of a potential expansion.

I think Crazy Rich Asians will be number 1 but WB wins either way. 

57 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lol @ Rampage being resurrected

Hobbs and Shaw is definitely going to outgross F8 of the Furious. I've said that for a while, but these Meg numbers prove Statham has pull.

The shark sold that movie not Statham. He’s had enough solo led films that prove this. On average his films make 20-25m dollars so he has a very limited audience. 

3 minutes ago, babz06 said:

The shark sold that movie not Statham. He’s had enough solo led films that prove this. On average his films make 20-25m dollars so he has a very limited audience. 

Yeah but he's definitely carving out a nice niche from himself in big-budget action fare (between the Furious movies and his scene-stealing turn in Spy). Put, say, Jai Courtney in this instead of Statham and I doubt it opens anywhere nearly as high.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2