sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah but he's definitely carving out a nice niche from himself in big-budget action fare (between the Furious movies and his scene-stealing turn in Spy). Put, say, Jai Courtney in this instead of Statham and I doubt it opens anywhere nearly as high.

I wonder if Dwayne Johnson was ever offered The Meg or if he turned it down in favour of Rampage and Skyscraper. 

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

O8 has made 4 times its budget WW, I think that'll be enough for Ocean's 9. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah but he's definitely carving out a nice niche from himself in big-budget action fare (between the Furious movies and his scene-stealing turn in Spy). Put, say, Jai Courtney in this instead of Statham and I doubt it opens anywhere nearly as high.

I think it would have opened just as well because like I said audiences like monster/animal films killing humans. They lovvvve sharks. The Shallows and 47 meters down both did well and the actresses that started in them weren’t A- list stars. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

My The Meg prediction was hilariously awful. Kudos to WB for continuing to know how to market their films. Can't wait to see Crazy Rich Asians blow past it's tracking numbers. One thing I was right about is that Christopher Robin is another Pete's Dragon. Similar opening weekend and second weekend drop. Creepy the Glum Pooh was not destined for big things.  Solid hold for MI6 considering the competition. I think it will drop a touch below 20mil though. The horror movie did fine for what it is depending on what the budget really was and BK did well.

• Like 2

Didn't see The Meg doing this, great OW (needs it with that budget). BKkK held up well after that disappointing Friday as well. Would be great if it can get to 50m+, WOM seems fantastic.

Great hold for Fallout, thought it was destined for sub 20m after that Friday.

• Like 1

Slender man did fine, the budget was apparently 10m and they barely spent any money on marketing so Sony has to be pleased with it. 

Blackklansman also performed solidly, legs should be good well into September.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah. I hope so too.

Sadly some creature feature/animal-focused movies didn’t/may not overperform as they should have. Case in point: ”War for the Planet of the Apes”, last year. That film should have done much better at the box office, considering the quality of it’s predecessors.

But for some weird reason, it didn’t happen.

That was mainly due to War for the Planet of the Apes beeing...War for the Planet of the Apes. Have you seen that movie? Its great, but its the exact opposite of fun, light-hearted summer entertainment.

So, it seems Slender Man almost got the F CinemaScore

https://deadline.com/2018/08/august-audiences-get-hooked-on-meg-shelling-out-44m-45m-early-sunday-am-box-office-1202444210/

The movie received a D- CinemaScore. On CinemaScore, 56% females turned out for this PG-13 while males repped 44%. Both sexes gave it a D-. But there were a lot of F’s mixed in the CinemaScore reporter card including 18-24 demo (30%), 25-34 (13%), 25+ (26%), and 50+ (3%).

• Haha 4
  • Astonished 2

15 minutes ago, babz06 said:

The shark sold that movie not Statham. He’s had enough solo led films that prove this. On average his films make 20-25m dollars so he has a very limited audience. 

I'm one of those on this forum who believes star power/box office clout is dead in the traditional sense. Having said that, certain actors/actresses are perfect in certain roles and thus leads to people being interested in movies and higher box office numbers. Statham is an action star and in the right action movie, like The Meg, can bring in the money at the box office. 

• Like 9

I think Crazy Rich Asians will make around what Game Night and Blockers did. They also had great reviews. It just seems like people are skipping comedies in theaters cause they know it’ll be on Netflix, etc in a couple months. 

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:
2018 $3,834.4 +0.2% 122 $31.4 370 $10.4 Incredibles 2 $589.9 15.4%
2017 $3,827.3 -14.8% 122 $31.4 446 $8.6 Wonder Woman $409.5 10.7%

We have officially crossed last summers total lol.

Keep in mind, that BOM only counts 50% of IW's gross for the summer period.

The Meg overperforming means $4bn for summer will happen by next week although when is the cut off point for summer grosses? 

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

That was mainly due to War for the Planet of the Apes beeing...War for the Planet of the Apes. Have you seen that movie? Its great, but its the exact opposite of fun, light-hearted summer entertainment.

Yeah, i’ve seen it. It’s an emotionally strong movie in it’s own merits and the CGI Visuals & motion-capture on the ape-characters looks believably & stunning. Especially Andy Serkis as Caesar.

But...maybe the ”Planet of the Apes”-franchise brandname wasn’t as large and as well known as the JP-franchise, despite higher critical praise for the Caesar-trilogy.

This summer should be a role model for any other year, so far we have no mega-bomb in this summer, and even solo passed 200m.

And, every tent-pole earned what it needs and develop decent legs without too much cannibalisation going on. 

Every film looks fine! Everybody is happy!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Meg director Jon Turtletaub can use his box office clout to now get National Treasure 3 made

It depends on how the budget will be for NT3, and how good it can turn out. That and Nicholas Cage returning.

If it’s a really good & well-recieved sequel, it could be one of Nick Cage’s biggest hits, WW-wise. Since the last one made $457M WW (second only to the DW-animated film ”The Croods)”.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm one of those on this forum who believes star power/box office clout is dead in the traditional sense. Having said that, certain actors/actresses are perfect in certain roles and thus leads to people being interested in movies and higher box office numbers. Statham is an action star and in the right action movie, like The Meg, can bring in the money at the box office. 

Yes I am a firm believer in the value-added element of many actors in the right situation. Having Statham in this added credibility to an attractive premise.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Count me as one of the people who saw it because i was promised to see Statham punching a giant shark. I dont know if i would have went if there was another actor in his role. Statham is hilarious in roles like these.

• Like 2