sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

without spoiling either movie, is The Meg scarier for all audiences over Jurassic World?

OUCH that Meg doubled its expectations and doubled the weekend business of the movie in second place.

Any crowd reports or reserved seating reports that back up such strong #s?

Megalodon has been a cultural icon in the making, early summer hype and scheduling seemed to let the film down, but it seems interested moviegoers kept their promise and got around to seeing The Meg.  Does anyone suspect fudge, or did this one really catapult that far from Mi6 and Pooh?

6 minutes ago, dmatrixfilmdx said:

without spoiling either movie, is The Meg scarier for all audiences over Jurassic World?

OUCH that Meg doubled its expectations and doubled the weekend business of the movie in second place.

Any crowd reports or reserved seating reports that back up such strong #s?

Megalodon has been a cultural icon in the making, early summer hype and scheduling seemed to let the film down, but it seems interested moviegoers kept their promise and got around to seeing The Meg.  Does anyone suspect fudge, or did this one really catapult that far from Mi6 and Pooh?

They predicted almost a 30% Sunday drop, so rather than fudge, I expect Meg to squeak higher:)...

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think IX is touching 600 without a very well received marketing campaign and movie. And of course I've expressed my doubts on TLK hitting 600 many, many times. 

I agree that IX and TLK could both miss, but it would not be particularly surprising to most people if they made it.      

But of 9 600+ grosses, at least 6 were huge surprises. Put another way, we’ve averaged nearly one surprise 600M hit per year in the past half dozen years. My point is that 2019 would only need one of those to have a decent shot at the record.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

It always feels like there is space for a fun action movie in mid August. Audiences looking for a non taxing way to end summer. Geostorm should have been an August release last year instead of studios just ending summer in mid July.

I think the studio knew Geostorm sucked, it was basically sitting on a shelf for a while with multiple release dates

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Haven't done forecasts in a while, so here are some:

The Meg:

Remainder of this week: 21.5M (66M Total)

Aug 17: 23.3M (10.2M weekdays, 99.5M Total)

Aug 24: 13.5M (6.5M weekdays, 119.5M Total)

Aug 31: 14M (6.9M weekdays, 140.4M Total)

Sep 7: 7.7M (2.5M weekdays, 150.6M Total)

Sep 14: 3.5M (1.3M weekdays, 155.4M Total)

Sep 21: 2M (700k weekdays, 158.1M Total)

Sep 28: 1.3M (400k weekdays, 159.8M Total)

Oct 5: 500k (100k weekdays, 160.4M Total)

Final Total: 163M (3.66x)

This has the perfect spot on the release calendar. It's going to stay in the top three until the first weekend of September (and might remain there depending how much Peppermint and Searching do), and although it'll take a hit when The Predator opens, it won't be out of the top ten until Night School or Venom opens. This is up there with I Can Only Imagine and Black Panther for the biggest surprises of the year. I am wondering how many IMAX screens Alpha will take away this weekend; Sony will probably just be told to fuck off because The Meg is making too much money :lol: 

I'm not sure if The Meg can do 3.6 multi but I think a multi similar to Ocean's 8 or Ready Player One is achievable which would lead to a final domestic gross of $146m. 

Edited by Jonwo

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I think Jaws has the kind of premise where you can only make a great film out of it once. Not only did the movie execute a ridiculous number of things in an iconic way, it benefited a lot from doing so within a very '70s sensibility that allowed for a loose, realistic, unpolished vibe in between the set-pieces. Maybe I lack imagination but there'd be no new exciting territory for a remake to go to. 

Female Shark.

• Haha 1

The Meg: What went Right?

The marketing was fun and appealing. The movie looked interesting. Also the film had the this is the alternative movie to see at the end of the summer akin to Mission Impossible: Fallout. Also if creature features are what the people want outside of Jurassic Park or Godzilla, then you have yourself a win! 

Jason Statham was a minor attribute to the success but it’s a rarity for him because as a action star(pre-Fast & Furious) was lucky enough to pull $30 million domestic total.

but it’s also great to note that Statham has a better debut than co-star The Rock last month with Skyscraper, which Universal marketed the hell out of it with super bowl ads and being the so-called big movie of the summer but it underperformed and may come close to $70 million domestic total which is something The Meg could achieve in its 2nd weekend of release!

• Like 2