chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

So here we are. Another day, another list. 

Final statistics

28 lists

886 different characters voted for

7 1st place votes did not make the top 100 list

About 12 characters made the top 100 without a single top 10 vote

One character received 7 votes yet still missed the top 100

One character made the top 100 with just two votes

No character with exactly three votes made the top 100 

84 characters on the list will piss at least 6 people off for being too high or too low. 

So, The first burst of films will appear in a short while... 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hope Quaritch made the cut!

It looks like you'd need 120 points at least to reach top 100 by the OP. Not sure enough people around here appreciate Avatar for MQ to be in the top 100. We'll see though. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
Math
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Joint 99th - Jake Gittes - Jack Nicholson - Chinatown

I considered watching this film once, but someone told me to just forget about it so I did. 

It is great to begin a list with something I have not seen as I can give a lot of cool inside info on the character. I will say that regardless of the film performance, Jake is a consistently strong player in the Summer and Winter Games on this forum and that in itself is good reason to make a list. 

Joint 99th - Legolas - Orlando Bloom - Lord of the Rings and Stuff

This is an elvin archer and not the abstract 'brick-free' sequel to the original Lego Movie.

Lord of the Rings is an odd franchise in that it has a whole bunch of huge characters, yet I believe none have receive serious awards considerations. Legolas is not the last time we will see Middle Earth represented here, but it is likely the final time that we see Bloom. 

I was more a fan of the dwarf to be honest who devastatingly never received even a single vote. Saruman was the lowest placed LOTR character to receive votes coming in in 531st place.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

98th - Major Clive Candy - Roger Livesey - The Life and Death of Col. Blimp.

So that's two characters out of three from films I have not watched. But who can blame me, I already got spoiled that ol' Blimpy dies by the end. 

This film is a 1940's war drama that received a lot of critical praise to the point of seeing the phrase 'Best ever British film' floated out there. Candy is the one character to make the top 100 with just 2 very high votes. So it seems safe to say that this is a film not watch by a large audience in the 21st century forum world, but garners a lot of respect from the people that do. 

• Like 8
  • Astonished 3

97th - Norma Desmond - Gloria Swanson - Sunset Boulevard

Not to be confused with Norma Major, Desmond is the villain of the peace in one of the ten greatest films about a dead monkey ever made. 

Another character from the golden age of cinema that may not be familiar to all reading this. This was one of those roles that was never supposed to go to the actress that eventually took it. This role bounced from Mae West to Mary Pickford and Pola Negri before turning up at Swanson's door (who also came close to turning it down.) 

Desmond is also responsible for two of the most famous lines in earlier cinema:

"All Right Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up" and "I am big, it's the pictures that got small". 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Joint 99th - Jake Gittes - Jack Nicholson - Chinatown

I considered watching this film once, but someone told me to just forget about it so I did. 

It is great to begin a list with something I have not seen as I can give a lot of cool inside info on the character. I will say that regardless of the film performance, Jake is a consistently strong player in the Summer and Winter Games on this forum and that in itself is good reason to make a list. 

Joint 99th - Legolas - Orlando Bloom - Lord of the Rings and Stuff

This is an elvin archer and not the abstract 'brick-free' sequel to the original Lego Movie.

Lord of the Rings is an odd franchise in that it has a whole bunch of huge characters, yet I believe none have receive serious awards considerations. Legolas is not the last time we will see Middle Earth represented here, but it is likely the final time that we see Bloom. 

I was more a fan of the dwarf to be honest who devastatingly never received even a single vote. Saruman was the lowest placed LOTR character to receive votes coming in in 531st place.  

congrats @Jake Gittes you made it!

• Like 1

96th - Katniss Everdeen - Jennifer Lawrence - Hunger Games

It's true folks, this list is only to be 40% archers.  

The first character on the list that I had a hand in getting them here, this also bring the male/female ratio to 60/40 (although I will say that depending on which angle I am view Legolas from, it can be hard to be sure which is the 60 :) ) 

Katniss headed one of the few YA franchises to go truly big and make all the dollars. It's almost like when you get a great actress to portray an interesting, and complicated character, you get a successful film. Lawrence is great in this, and though some may say she goes a bit too serious and depressive by the final films, in Cathcing fire especially, she is truly excellent. 

Don't expect to see the Hunger Games pop up again btw. Only Plutarch even got a vote outside of Kat, and he finished in 806th.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1