chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

When I think of Ripley, the image is:

3dcfbae5359c9fcc0440a48917874123.jpg

Ripley is the most important female character in horror and science-fiction.  We are still chasing this level of nuance for female roles.  Ripley was original suppose to cast as a man, but the script was vague enough that they changed it to a woman without really changing the core of the character -- thus giving her a freedom rarely seen for women on screen.  She is NOT defined by her male counterparts or roles.  She is not a mother, or a girlfriend, or a temeptress/whore, or daughter, or whatever other role men want women to play.  She's a Survivor.  

So I would politely disagree with the "strong female/masculized " critique of her.  It's more that she's allowed privileges reversed for male characters.  In Alien she's a very soft character.  She cares for her teammates.  She doesn't show unnecessary aggression.  She also isn't sexualized, there's not a lot of male gaze in Alien (which makes sense for a horror movie about the fears of male pregnancy). AND She saves her cat!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

So I would politely disagree with the "strong female/masculized " critique of her. 

Totally agree and well said with the rest. 

I think it just makes certain misogynist's mad that their whip cracking male hero didn't come first as always, makes 'em irrational. :jeb!: