chasmmi

Top 100 Characters 2018 countdown has begun, Number 39 Will Blow Your MInd!!

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

I didn't submit but if I did he'd be somewhere in the lower half. Good scenery chewing and Stephen Lang is an underrated character actor.

quaritch is gonna be this generations vader just wait and see!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmatrixfilmdx said:

I put Quaritch at #34, but I put he was from Inception by mistake.

Those points might have been discounted, so that appearance might need a recheck.

If you think that was the most confusing piece of nonsense I receive in any list, then I really want to live in your world :P 

There was a lot of cross referencing done to iron out these issues (I may not have gotten all of them), Some characters were voted for with multiple names. This was especially complicated on films I haven't seen / haven't seen in years and start wondering if there really was a character named Mia Farrow in Rosemary's baby, or when one person votes Col. Jessop and another votes Nathan from a Few Good men and I hopefully each time catch that I got the double ups. 

Was a fun time, 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

94th - Wall E - Ben Burtt - Wall E

A character responsible for some of the great monologues in movies.

This list in the past has been no stranger to characters that don't have any lines. Also has been no stranger to animated characters. But Wall E isn't just any vocabulary limited character. This robot carries the entire film for half (the best half) of its run-time. A also would say that the voice acting here is pretty great, even if there is some digital help, the ability to show a multitude of emotions with one word was pretty incredible. 

There may or may not be some voice characters still to come, there may not be.  

• Like 14

93rd - Genie - Robin Williams - Aladdin

Hands down the best blue character in cinema and you can fight me on that! (You know who you are :) )

I cannot speak for Desmond and Candy, but of the characters that I know who have appeared so far, this is the one I consider the most important in how it affected cinema. Williams revolutionised voice acting with this role. It was a tour de force of a performance and I can still watch this film every single day. 

Genie is the highest ranked male WDAS character on this list. Aladdin finished in 152nd, Maui was 614th, Ralph in 795th. There may have been a couple others.   

• Like 12
  • Astonished 1

92nd - Shrek - Mike Myers - Shrek

This character is like an onion, his appearance on the list will make some folks cry.

Over the mid-nineties, I pretty much stopped watching animated films. I was a teenager and thus too old for all the silliness Disney was putting out (turns out that most of that silliness was brilliant when I watched them 20 years late).  It took two franchises to bring me back to animated cinema, one franchise may or may not be appearing soon, the other was Shrek. 

It seems madness to think that Shrek was never supposed to be an angry Scottish guy, Myer's accent for this just feels like it was what Shrek was always supposed to be.

This is the only Shrek character that we will see as Fiona finished 825th and Donkey in 774th

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Over the mid-nineties, I pretty much stopped watching animated films. I was a teenager and thus too old for all the silliness Disney was putting out (turns out that most of that silliness was brilliant when I watched them 20 years late).

I am glad to hear I wasnt the only one who went through this phase. (And thank you for the pictures)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I am glad to hear I wasnt the only one who went through this phase. (And thank you for the pictures)

Think we all did.

Watch tartino films for a year and think youre hot shit. Then realise animated kino like spirted away better than anything QTarin is capable of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

what if both good

Not many tweens think that way. If you've suddenly discovered Wes Craven at 12, then you wouldn't be caught dead enjoying Disney animated films any more etc. 

Though from my personal observation, this new Gen Z is probably wiser than Millennials were at that age in this regard, and don't give much of a damn about people's opinions of them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

This has stuck in my mind so I did some calculations. If Clive Candy made it onto the list thanks only to being #2 on my list and #6 on Sheikh's, that means he did it with 67 points. So since Tuco got 50 points from me alone, that means he couldn't even get 17 points from the rest of you combined. A little insane given that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the best-known films around these parts from before the blockbuster era. 

And he got 12 points from me, leaving just 5. That's odd.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hell it's gotta be 3. Candy at #98 with 67 points means Gittes/Legolas tying for #99 with presumably 66. Tuco, being out, must have had less.

Tuco got 4 points from me, he must have just missed out.

I think your calculations didn't include the multi votes points:

Multi Votes:

2 votes - 25 pts

4 votes - 32 pts

6 votes - 40 pts

8 votes - 50 pts 

Every subsequent 2 votes: 10 more points.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, Pandamia! said:

Wasn’t trying to be rude to anyone.  I just figured this was a good place to re-point out what its purpose is for (and not for).

I think it’s a good addition, but could become something really negative/mean if people choose to use it incorrectly.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:40 PM, IronJimbo said:

don't think people know "not cool" doesn't give points

On 8/10/2018 at 1:45 PM, Pandamia! said:

It was in the announcement, maybe it should just be re-emphasized.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:50 PM, IronJimbo said:

doubt even a third of the userbase has read that thread.

I actually had no idea myself as I had to be away from the forums for a couple of weeks due to personal reasons so thanks for pointing it out!

Enjoying the list so far by the way, I love the work chasmmi put into this forum and I feel real bad I let his survivor game down.

• Like 4