Fullbuster

I Watched One Episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ and Determined American TV is for Perverts

I Watched One Episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ and Determined American TV is for Perverts

I was skeptical right from the first scene, which features dismembered corpses and a graphic beheading on-screen, the typical sort of absurd ultra-violence I would expect from American media. Still, anime such as Elfen Lied and Wolf’s Rain have used graphic violence to establish a tone or convey themes, and the show did prove to have wolves in a later scene, so I hoped that the show’s violence would be building towards something important.

Unfortunately, halfway through the episode I was stunned to watch a scene in which a female character was implied to have just given a blowjob, and then she parades her uncensored ass and breasts on-screen, including her nipples! Not only that, but the scene ends with the character having a full harem of women, all showing off their breasts. I immediately checked to see if I was watching the uncensored Blu-Ray version of the episode, but it turns out that this actually aired on prime-time television! You could never air something this blatantly perverted on Japanese television, no matter how late it aired!

And yet, somehow it only got worse from there. Another female character was introduced in a scene showing her fully nude, and her plot-line lead to a scene where she is shown crying during clearly forced sex. Then the episode ends with the reveal that two of the main characters are in an incestuous relationship! And it’s not just incestuous subtext or a relationship between step-siblings, it’s a full-on blood-sibling sex scene right on camera! It made the child murder that happened immediately afterwards seem almost quaint by comparison! What is wrong with the American TV viewer, fetishizing forced sex and incest?

https://www.animemaru.com/op-ed-i-watched-one-episode-of-game-of-thrones-and-determined-american-tv-is-for-perverts/

I know some people love to hate anime because of fanservice and some weird things but anime never go that far, it's also why I've never been able to watch more than 1 season of Game of Thrones, it's just terribly immoral and a good writing won't excuse that.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Haha 4
  • Knock It Off 6

Holy shit! You are comparing anime to one of the best show of all time with a story as good as it gets.

No anime is even half as good as got. Watch it all cos you are missing on something spectacular. And unlike anime, bad things here are presented as bad things and also it has strong female characters not seen in anime. Also, minors are not presented in sexual way in got. So, you saying anime don't go that far is BS.

• Like 3

Also got gets aired during prime time in japan too. In last two years it has gotten very popular due to this with it's dvd and blu ray sales being at top in western shows. It's also very very popular in more conservative countries like india. It is the most popular show worldwide right now for a reason.

• Like 2

Still, all of this wouldn’t be so bad if not for the fact that this show is in the live-action fantasy genre. All other examples I’ve seen of the genre, such as Harry Potter and The Hobbit, have been intended for children, so clearly Game of Thrones is also intended for children!

I feel like this is a troll article.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I feel like this is a troll article.

It's an article written to hit back at anime critics because there's some fanservice in some of them or harem, and the guy tells you American TV does the same but in a far worse way while being lauded, double standards could you say. And honestly he's right when it comes to that.

In some way it's trolling, but anime critics are also trolls so it's trolls vs trolls.

Edited by Fullbuster

52 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Holy shit! You are comparing anime to one of the best show of all time with a story as good as it gets.

No anime is even half as good as got. Watch it all cos you are missing on something spectacular. And unlike anime, bad things here are presented as bad things and also it has strong female characters not seen in anime. Also, minors are not presented in sexual way in got. So, you saying anime don't go that far is BS.

As I said I watched the 1st season and if we take all the perverted things away (which is very hard, it's everywhere) then it's a good show. But they're going too far.

And I insist: anime don't go that far, even the garbage ones.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

WTF did I just read?

Btw the Nudity gets toned down each season (and it’s used in less gratuitous ways).  It’s also rarely used in an erotic or exploitive fashion, but more of a way to drive forward plot.

I also wouldn’t call the show immoral, the early seasons are more of a depiction of medieval societies using a fantasy world (and that means a hard world for a female to live in).  It’s not exploitive if its female characters, they’re the strongest characters on the show.

And nobody (except maybe a select few perverts) fetish the scenes where the show depicts rape or the Cersei/Jaime relationship.  The purpose of those are both to show some reality that existed in those kinds of a societies (girls were sold off to be married and most were raped on their wedding nights.  It’s not a fairytale, Prince/Princess sort of thing), and the Cersei/Jaime thing is supposed to be messed up.  That scene is pretty much THE catalyst of the show the starts the political spiral for the entire first four seasons.

Also, while GoT is an iconic American show, I’d hardly say it represents the average American TV show (even though American TV shows would be better if it did, as the average American tv show is probably the Big Bang theory or the voice or something like that)

Edited by PANDA

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

This thread is almost as bad as your Texas thread from years.  Almost.

"You don't like what I like then you're bad you meanie"

That's what you guys are doing here, zero argument, just nothing.

I feel like I made some of you ashamed, I understand that given it's hard to acknowledge you're fine with rape scenes, incest and ultra violence. It's hard to admit so you attack the one just telling it to you.

It's a good thread, it leads to think a little bit about the state of your morality, and for some it can even be a way of understanding that anime are really innocent in comparison to what you see on US TV sometimes.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

WTF did I just read?

Btw the Nudity gets toned down each season (and it’s used in less gratuitous ways).  It’s also rarely used in an erotic or exploitive fashion, but more of a way to drive forward plot.

I also wouldn’t call the show immoral, the early seasons are more of a depiction of medieval societies using a fantasy world (and that means a hard world for a female to live in).  It’s not exploitive if its female characters, they’re the strongest characters on the show.

And nobody (except maybe a select few perverts) fetish the scenes where the show depicts rape or the Cersei/Jaime relationship.  The purpose of those are both to show some reality that existed in those kinds of a societies (girls were sold off to be married and most were raped on their wedding nights.  It’s not a fairytale, Prince/Princess sort of thing), and the Cersei/Jaime thing is supposed to be messed up.  That scene is pretty much THE catalyst of the show the starts the political spiral for the entire first four seasons.

Also, while GoT is an iconic American show, I’d hardly say it represents the average American TV show (even though American TV shows would be better if it did, as the average American tv show is probably the Big Bang theory or the voice or something like that)

Well, at least you did some explaining here, I understand the medieval context but I'm not sure you have to show it, it reminds me of those who loved True Bloods because of how crude/sexually exploitative it was (it's also why I watched the Vampire Diaries instead, it wasn't using sex as bait to appeal to pervs). Maybe GOT is really not trying to be sexually exploitative but the profusion of these scenes in Season 1 made me say "Enough, I stop it here".

As for the "to drive the plot forward" I don't believe a single word of it: what's the point of showing Tyrion Lannister being in a brothel with prostitutes? It's just a waste of time, doesn't bring anything in terms of character development and here the show is so obvious in its attempt to excite people with nudity/sex. Let's not be naive.

• Knock It Off 1

18 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, at least you did some explaining here, I understand the medieval context but I'm not sure you have to show it, it reminds me of those who loved True Bloods because of how crude/sexually exploitative it was (it's also why I watched the Vampire Diaries instead, it wasn't using sex as bait to appeal to pervs). Maybe GOT is really not trying to be sexually exploitative but the profusion of these scenes in Season 1 made me say "Enough, I stop it here".

As for the "to drive the plot forward" I don't believe a single word of it: what's the point of showing Tyrion Lannister being in a brothel with prostitutes? It's just a waste of time, doesn't bring anything in terms of character development and here the show is so obvious in its attempt to excite people with nudity/sex. Let's not be naive.

It's called character development, it’s a starting point that lets you see exactly who Tyrion is at that point in time within the context of one scene.  Tyrion's character goes on a pretty long journey from being where you see him start.  There's worldbuilding within that scene, demonstrating the exact kind of world these characters live in, and what's deemed as acceptable in that society.  

And by driving the plot forward, there's quite a bit of character insights you get from seeing how they interact in intimate settings that you wouldn't gain from watching them in a typical political setting.  But I will say my main gripe with the first season or so is it goes a little overboard on a few of the gratuitous points where it doesn't in later seasons, but I think in most of the cases it's justified.

31 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

"You don't like what I like then you're bad you meanie"

That's what you guys are doing here, zero argument, just nothing.

I feel like I made some of you ashamed, I understand that given it's hard to acknowledge you're fine with rape scenes, incest and ultra violence. It's hard to admit so you attack the one just telling it to you.

It's a good thread, it leads to think a little bit about the state of your morality, and for some it can even be a way of understanding that anime are really innocent in comparison to what you see on US TV sometimes.

This isn't a "You don't like what I like thing", this you randomly decide to trash a show a lot of people like for being "immoral", and toting yourself as morally superior because you watch anime and not American TV (which most members here watch American TV).  

You can also accept watching a show that shows a brutal reality, while not necessarily condoning it (which the show doesn't either).  It's not supposed to be a children's show, it's supposed to reflect a fantasy setting that more accurately represents the human nature we've seen in our own world that fantasy is based upon.

I'm not going to randomly trash anime just because I prefer American TV, I'll just accept it's not my cup of tea and move on without trying to say other people are literally in the wrong for watching a show.

Edited by PANDA

27 minutes ago, PANDA said:

It's called character development, it’s a starting point that lets you see exactly who Tyrion is at that point in time within the context of one scene.  Tyrion's character goes on a pretty long journey from being where you see him start.  There's worldbuilding within that scene, demonstrating the exact kind of world these characters live in, and what's deemed as acceptable in that society.  

And by driving the plot forward, there's quite a bit of character insights you get from seeing how they interact in intimate settings that you wouldn't gain from watching them in a typical political setting.  But I will say my main gripe with the first season or so is it goes a little overboard on a few of the gratuitous points where it doesn't in later seasons, but I think in most of the cases it's justified.

This isn't a "You don't like what I like thing", this you randomly decide to trash a show a lot of people like for being "immoral", and toting yourself as morally superior because you watch anime and not American TV (which most members here watch American TV).  

You can also accept watching a show that shows a brutal reality, while not necessarily condoning it (which the show doesn't either).  It's not supposed to be a children's show, it's supposed to reflect a fantasy setting that more accurately represents the human nature we've seen in our own world that fantasy is based upon.

I'm not going to randomly trash anime just because I prefer American TV, I'll just accept it's not my cup of tea and move on without trying to say other people are literally in the wrong for watching a show.

Well, you see it's much better to interact that way, I'm way more likely to be compassionate and willing to listen such answers.

Understand me, I'm not the one who wrote the article and trashing GOT, if it's popular then fine but I'm a bit tired of those trashing anime because of some fanservice while praising GOT, a bit like our dear Premium George earlier. If you accept one then you must accept the fact the other one is fine.

The main point of the article and my thread is mostly: calling out these anime haters by showing they're mostly hypocrite most of the time, maybe even racist/xenophobic given anime is Japanese while GOT is American.

GOT is not for me but I accept its existence and success, and some people must start growing up and accept anime are very successful (200 million fans in China alone!) and are here to stay.

I usually would talk about it on Twitter and ResetEra but I'm on a Twitter break and Era is not accessible unless you give your true identity so I decided to talk about it here, I know there aren't many anime haters here but I saw a few ones so it was still worth it.

35 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, you see it's much better to interact that way, I'm way more likely to be compassionate and willing to listen such answers.

Understand me, I'm not the one who wrote the article and trashing GOT, if it's popular then fine but I'm a bit tired of those trashing anime because of some fanservice while praising GOT, a bit like our dear Premium George earlier. If you accept one then you must accept the fact the other one is fine.

The main point of the article and my thread is mostly: calling out these anime haters by showing they're mostly hypocrite most of the time, maybe even racist/xenophobic given anime is Japanese while GOT is American.

GOT is not for me but I accept its existence and success, and some people must start growing up and accept anime are very successful (200 million fans in China alone!) and are here to stay.

I usually would talk about it on Twitter and ResetEra but I'm on a Twitter break and Era is not accessible unless you give your true identity so I decided to talk about it here, I know there aren't many anime haters here but I saw a few ones so it was still worth it.

No, the difference is got doesn't condone the bad things while many anime does. This is false equivalency and you know it. I watch anime too and I know how much BS you are writing right now.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1