movies!movies!

Cold Pursuit | Lionsgate | Feruary 8, 2019 | Liam Neeson, Laura Dern

20 minutes ago, Frozen said:

You don’t see a problem with saying you walked around with a stick looking for a black man to beat up because he might be the rapist? You don’t think that sounds racist at all? 

do you know how many black people there are in Ireland? it is not like the USA where they are a large population.

If he had seen a black dude then it is very likely that it was the same guy.

I am not saying its not racist but it is not the same as just wanting to attack any/every black man.

There only a couple hundred black men in the entire country, if he just bumped into one statistically speaking it would have probably been the rapist... or at least 100x more likely than it would be in America.

Edited by Avatree

9 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Relevant tweet I found:

I don't think box office will suffer much from this tbh. OK maybe some liam neeson fans are genuinely put off by him now. Possibly.

But i dont think most people will care enough to "boycott" this film.

Anyhoo, its not like Cold Pursuit was gonna do well anyway.

I didn't know the context to this conversation and I the words Ireland, revenge and black people getting beaten up made me think you guys were talking about Three Billboards. But yikes, I guess Neeson just helped me make my choice on which movie to watch this weekend (will be watching The Lego Movie 2 instead). Sucks though since I loved the original version of Cold Pursuit and was excited to watch this.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Avatree said:

do you know how many black people there are in Ireland? it is not like the USA where they are a large population.

If he had seen a black dude then it is very likely that it was the same guy.

I am not saying its not racist but it is not the same as just wanting to attack any/every black man.

There only a couple hundred black men in the entire country, if he just bumped into one statistically speaking it would have probably been the rapist... or at least 100x more likely than it would be in America.

Dafuq? Around 1% of the population is black or of black descent. Sure, it's hardly a huge number, but "a couple hundred black people" being all there is and you justifying his words as "chances are if it WAS a black guy, he was the guilty one" is all kinds of fucked up. Christ... 

Even if there were 2 black people in the whole country, that's still a 50% chance it's the wrong person - even acknowledging vigilantism as an acceptable option, that is still fucking wrong.

Christ. I can see this is gonna go well, so I'll bow out now, but fuck, this comment really annoyed me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read up on it. The guy is admitting the sort of terrible, dark thoughts that sometimes go through all our minds. He's explicitly stating that he's not actually racially motivated to commit such acts when he's of sound mind. He's describing an episode of intense anger. But let's crucify him!!

Going to see Cold Pursuit on the 8th, by the way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Dafuq? Around 1% of the population is black or of black descent. Sure, it's hardly a huge number, but "a couple hundred black people" being all there is and you justifying his words as "chances are if it WAS a black guy, he was the guilty one" is all kinds of fucked up. Christ... 

Even if there were 2 black people in the whole country, that's still a 50% chance it's the wrong person - even acknowledging vigilantism as an acceptable option, that is still fucking wrong.

Christ. I can see this is gonna go well, so I'll bow out now, but fuck, this comment really annoyed me.

at 2001 census there were 1,000 people who selected one of the Black ethnicities. 0.07% of population.

this incident was much before this so probably fewer than 1000 but lets use that.

That means 500 black males. (the other half are female)

Remove children that leaves 400 black males.

Remove elderly that leaves 300 black males.

in the town / wherever he lived, there might only be 1 or 2 black men. chances are the entire country's black population did not live on Liam Neesons neighbourhood.

Please can you not put words in my mouth. All i am saying is try to look at it from Liam Neesons perspective.

Say i was in the same situation and i knew it was someone around who had a green mini. well maybe there is more than one green mini near me, maybe there are two or three, but if I saw someone with a green mini who "could" have been the person...

It is very rich to ride a high horse telling people how to think and react, when you have not been in that situation.

Edited by Avatree
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

You (and the twitter mob) must lead such perfect lives.

I appplaud all of you for your pure & virginal thoughts.

You re like, Tom Hanks characters., but in real  life.

:bravo:

Must be so exhausting to be oh so perfect  24/7.

yes, let he who has never roamed the streets hoping to find a black man to murder cast the first stone. that's what i always say.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Say i was in the same situation and i knew it was someone around who had a green mini. well maybe there is more than one green mini near me, maybe there are two or three, but if I saw someone with a green mini who "could" have been the person...

There is a difference between intending to attack someone based on the car they own and the colour of their skin.

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Just read up on it. The guy is admitting the sort of terrible, dark thoughts that sometimes go through all our minds. He's explicitly stating that he's not actually racially motivated to commit such acts when he's of sound mind. He's describing an episode of intense anger. But let's crucify him!!

Going to see Cold Pursuit on the 8th, by the way.

sounds like a republican.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

This really bites but I respect the guy coming out and admitting that yeah, he had a really dark period in his life where he did something out of anger and realized how fucked up and wrong he was to do it. 

This. I highly doubt none of you here have gone your whole life without having some fucked up thoughts, especially ones born out of intense emotion. Like, get a fucking grip. The guy is just ballsy enough to admit it publicly. That's the only difference.