movies!movies!

Cold Pursuit | Lionsgate | Feruary 8, 2019 | Liam Neeson, Laura Dern

Just kinda curious, was the context he said it in like "Hell yeah I woulda murdered him" or more like "yea those were dark thoughts and I'm glad I'm over them" because if it's the latter I guess it's good that he was able to publicly admit he had those thoughts and that he's over it.

I mean, someone close to me has been raped, and I've felt anger towards the person who did it like I've never hated anyone else in my life before. It really does blind you to logical thinking and in the moment all you feel like you want is revenge. But I'm happy I do not think that way anymore and that myself (and the victim) have learned to cope with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

This. I highly doubt none of you here have gone your whole life without having some fucked up thoughts, especially ones born out of intense emotion. Like, get a fucking grip. The guy is just ballsy enough to admit it publicly. That's the only difference.

no im not a racist redneck, are you?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There is a difference between intending to attack someone based on the car they own and the colour of their skin.

he was intending to attack someone based on the possibility of them raping his girlfriend.

I hope you never have to experience someone you love suffering like that. it is the most horrific thing in the world and the emotions that go with it are extreme.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just kinda curious, was the context he said it in like "Hell yeah I woulda murdered him" or more like "yea those were dark thoughts and I'm glad I'm over them" because if it's the latter I guess it's good that he was able to publicly admit he had those thoughts and that he's over it.

I mean, someone close to me has been raped, and I've felt anger towards the person who did it like I've never hated anyone else in my life before. It really does blind you to logical thinking and in the moment all you feel like you want is revenge. But I'm happy I do not think that way anymore and that myself (and the victim) have learned to cope with it. 

Assuming this video works in your country, you can listen to what he said in full context in the original report:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/liam-neeson-rape-black-man-attack-cosh-cold-pursuit-sexual-assault-interview-a8760866.html

it is 2 minutes long, listen to it and make your own mind up.

Edited by Avatree

Just now, Avatree said:

Assuming this video works in your country, you can listen to what he said in full context in the original report:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/liam-neeson-rape-black-man-attack-cosh-cold-pursuit-sexual-assault-interview-a8760866.html

it is 2 minutes long, listen to it and make your own mind up.

Just listened and yea I personally don't see any problem with it (now). Like yea, what he did was shitty, really awful. Be he knows it was awful and he learned from it. Pretty awful mistake, but the point of mistakes is that we learn from him, and thankfully he didn't hurt anyone. 

This entire thing is so fucked up. His actions, his admission, the tone of the article. I mean, the reporter (and his costar) clearly was taken aback by what he said because she recognized the racism behind it. Yet, after contacting psychologists who tell her that this is racist behavior... she still lets him off the hook in a "we don't know what's truly in his heart " type of way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

See, this is logical thinking.

To answer your question, the context was the latter of the two you suggested. He was being brutally honest. Is it a good, healthy way to think? Of course not. It's terrible! He's just being honest though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

no im not a racist redneck, are you?

No, I'm not. Maybe you should take a moment to breathe and think instead of rushing to be outraged at something, like seemingly 90% of the world nowadays.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2018 at 1:01 PM, ThePhasmid said:

The original was a thick black comedy that had very local humor. This looks like a slick update focused on the persona of Liam Neeson, and I have no qualms about it. Same plot with a different approach. It appears to have enough of its own identity to entice someone who enjoyed (or even heard of) the original.

I still stand by my original sentiment. I've seen the original, so my inclination to pay full price in theater is diminished despite the positive majority. The thing that will greatly benefit this remake, from my perspective, is the humor that I didn't entirely grasp from the original. It was clearly a black comedy that worked on many levels, but I feel some of the elements were lost in translation (on my behalf).

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just listened and yea I personally don't see any problem with it (now). Like yea, what he did was shitty, really awful. Be he knows it was awful and he learned from it. Pretty awful mistake, but the point of mistakes is that we learn from him, and thankfully he didn't hurt anyone. 

He didn't need to bring it up, but he did for a reason. I think his reasoning was just in bringing up this little secret from his past (not just in relation to the plot of the film). Agree with you on the second part. There are plenty of people who hold that irrational and ignorant wrath until they die, and it warps into something worse like arrogant racism. They never learn, and then they gravitate to even more sinister measures emboldened by a community that shares the same paranoid tinged racial "profiling". It's a dangerous slippery slope we see time and time again here in the US.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I can understand what he is saying but at the same time that is not really something you say when you are promoting a movie. Especially in this day and age

I do agree with this. It does bring unnecessary attention that the studio likely does not want. But if this wasn't in the context of promoting a movie I do think it is a healthy thing to say and does provide a good message to people, especially from someone like Neeson who is basically known for playing characters who always resort to violence as a mode of revenge. 

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I can understand what he is saying but at the same time that is not really something you say when you are promoting a movie. Especially in this day and age

Yep, I agree with this. I also think, though, that Neeson is probably someone who wants to set an example for people to feel comfortable talking plainly again, rather than being frauds by presenting ourselves as perfect human beings, which society has grown accustomed to in this day and age.

Again, there is something to be said for discretion too. I can see it both ways. 

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

People start to talk and think like Miss America or France contestants, shouting platitudes while being convinced of making a strong and important point. 

I mean, i wish the world was as simple as the mind of a Miss america contestant too but alas shades of grey, nuances, critical thinking and all that jazz...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

People start to talk and think like Miss America or France contestants, shouting platitudes while being convinced of making a strong and important point. 

I mean, i wish the world was as simple as the mind of a Miss america contestant too but alas shades of grey, nuances, critical thinking and all that jazz...

Some of your posts are pretty odd but this is actually a perfect analogy. Well done. That's exactly what people are like nowadays, at least liberals.

23 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

This entire thing is so fucked up. His actions, his admission, the tone of the article. I mean, the reporter (and his costar) clearly was taken aback by what he said because she recognized the racism behind it. Yet, after contacting psychologists who tell her that this is racist behavior... she still lets him off the hook in a "we don't know what's truly in his heart " type of way.

The tone of the article is that of responsible journalism. A reporter's job is to report, not to judge. I'm actually very impressed she contacted two different psychologists, withheld Neeson's name, etc, with such a massive bombshell on her hands. Would have been the easiest thing in this day and age to just throw it out there with no context and no consideration.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TombRaider said:

wtf? what does 'racist' have to do with it? you murder the rapist, be it white or black

I imagine you do not have read the piece ?

The racist part is that we was walking around trying to get a situation were any black men would have started a confrontation with him, to kill him and feel some sort of revenge, because that killed random guy would have shared the level of melamin. 

Not because he wanted to kill the actual rapist.

The usual suspects of course are defending this dudes actions. I’m sorry, no, I’ve been upset at certain situations and from people’s actions. But, never did I seek out to murder someone - especially not based off the ethnicity or gender of said person. People that aren’t affected by racism will not understand. Liam’s first thought is to ask the color of the person she was raped by? That is a very traumatic event and I sympathize with her and him greatly. But to intentionally seek out a black person whether or not you know it’s the actual perpetrator  is asinine and indefensible. Black people don’t have to defend their existence. The act of one is not representative of the whole. If the person happened to be white, I’m sure Liam would’ve went to all the local pubs ready to kill any white guy he saw, too, right? 

Theres no no way the same people defending Liam would be defending a black person that sought out white police officers because of the killings of many unarmed black men.(in some cases even minors)But alas here we are.

Edited by YLF
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

you are free to your opinion @YLF and I am free to mine. I dont think the things you mentioned are necesxarily equatable. All I was trying to do was give a different perspective.

you do not think straight if you have been raped and I am telling you that from experience.

I did not mean to cause any offense :) and I am not meaning to sound racist.