sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates ~ CRA 25.235M, The Meg 21.15M, M22 13.62M, M:I-F 10.5M, Alpha 10.5M, DCR 8.862M, BK 7M, SM 4.965M, HT3:SV 3.675M, MM!HWGA 3.385M

Posted (edited)

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

That’s weak. $20m dead. 

Good! I want CRA to end up on top this weekend!😤

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Looks to be on track for $12M for the weekend, pretty much expected given the terrible reviews.

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Guessing high single digits for this. Could still get over $30m with the reviews.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

An all-Asian film beating out a Mark Wahlberg film is poetic in a way.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 4

19 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Main rival for CRA definitely isn't "Mile 22"

Mile 22 looked ok but thankfully it’s on a smaller modest budget unlike Patriot’s Day($50 million) or Deepwater Horizon($110 million). So if it does low teens to $14-$15 million spectrum that’s ok. 

Alpha is having great reviews but it just sounds like it may do $7-$9 million opening weekend and have ok holds. Although people love it, but people love bombs too. 

I think Crazy Rich Asians will be number one but more so in the $20-$23 million theee-day vicinity. I don’t get Deadline, expecting this and The Meg to be that close together. I mean this is more of a word of mouth and weekend type of film that plays better on date nights and matinees. 

Alpha vs Chris Robin for #5 spot this weekend. Not so alfpha...

With combined previews for 2 Fri openers being just 1.5 I hope Thu holds are stronger than otherwise.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, a2k said:

Alpha vs Chris Robin for #5 spot this weekend. Not so alfpha...

With combined previews for 2 Fri openers being just 1.5 I hope Thu holds are stronger than otherwise.

So far, if you look at the Thursday thread numbers, they are not...

We are starting the slow college/K-12 back to school path (which takes more than just kids out of the weekday buyers:)...

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Mile 22 looked ok but thankfully it’s on a smaller modest budget unlike Patriot’s Day($50 million) or Deepwater Horizon($110 million). So if it does low teens to $14-$15 million spectrum that’s ok. 

If those three misses are from the same actor-director duo then surely audiences have shown that they are not interested and they should stop

Action movies with excessive cuts and shaky cams should just go directly to VOD at this point. If you can't present the main selling point of your movie properly why should audiences care?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If those three misses are from the same actor-director duo then surely audiences have shown that they are not interested and they should stop

Lone Survivor was from the same "actor-director duo" and it was a hit ( from both critics and audiences ).

Posted (edited)

#1/2 Guess...

CRA

7.0 (+86%)

9.6 (+37%)

6.9 (-28%)

= 23.5 (32+ 5-day)

MEG

5.7 (+78%)

8.6 (+51%)

5.7 (-34%)

= 20.0 (82.5+ cume)

Edited by a2k

I thought everyone who actually SAW deepwater horizon liked it, just not enough people saw it.

Patriots Day is definitely more divisive but I was always on the side of “its great”

• Like 1

Deepwater Horizon was good. Managed to be both a spectacle and appropriately dark and intense, and I liked how it often would abandon the big names to focus on side characters played by unknowns. And just in terms of technical craft it was very very impressive.

• Like 10

Just saw The Meg. Fun movie! I’m a little surprised WOM isn’t better for it. Based on how weekdays were going, I gave it a 63% drop in the derby.

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Lone Survivor was from the same "actor-director duo" and it was a hit ( from both critics and audiences ).

Yeh the original poster mentioned the three flops though. That’s why I replied, commenting that 3 misses in a row means it’s probably time to stop. 

I think Lone Survivor was before them?

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just saw The Meg. Fun movie! I’m a little surprised WOM isn’t better for it. Based on how weekdays were going, I gave it a 63% drop in the derby.

I thought it was making 163m total

• Sad 1