sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates ~ CRA 25.235M, The Meg 21.15M, M22 13.62M, M:I-F 10.5M, Alpha 10.5M, DCR 8.862M, BK 7M, SM 4.965M, HT3:SV 3.675M, MM!HWGA 3.385M

Mile 22 looked ok but thankfully it’s on a smaller modest budget unlike Patriot’s Day($50 million) or Deepwater Horizon($110 million). So if it does low teens to $14-$15 million spectrum that’s ok. 

Alpha is having great reviews but it just sounds like it may do $7-$9 million opening weekend and have ok holds. Although people love it, but people love bombs too. 

I think Crazy Rich Asians will be number one but more so in the $20-$23 million theee-day vicinity. I don’t get Deadline, expecting this and The Meg to be that close together. I mean this is more of a word of mouth and weekend type of film that plays better on date nights and matinees. 

27 minutes ago, a2k said:

Alpha vs Chris Robin for #5 spot this weekend. Not so alfpha...

With combined previews for 2 Fri openers being just 1.5 I hope Thu holds are stronger than otherwise.

So far, if you look at the Thursday thread numbers, they are not...

We are starting the slow college/K-12 back to school path (which takes more than just kids out of the weekday buyers:)...

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Mile 22 looked ok but thankfully it’s on a smaller modest budget unlike Patriot’s Day($50 million) or Deepwater Horizon($110 million). So if it does low teens to $14-$15 million spectrum that’s ok. 

If those three misses are from the same actor-director duo then surely audiences have shown that they are not interested and they should stop

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If those three misses are from the same actor-director duo then surely audiences have shown that they are not interested and they should stop

Lone Survivor was from the same "actor-director duo" and it was a hit ( from both critics and audiences ).

#1/2 Guess...

CRA

7.0 (+86%)

9.6 (+37%)

6.9 (-28%)

= 23.5 (32+ 5-day)

MEG

5.7 (+78%)

8.6 (+51%)

5.7 (-34%)

= 20.0 (82.5+ cume)

Edited by a2k

Deepwater Horizon was good. Managed to be both a spectacle and appropriately dark and intense, and I liked how it often would abandon the big names to focus on side characters played by unknowns. And just in terms of technical craft it was very very impressive.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Lone Survivor was from the same "actor-director duo" and it was a hit ( from both critics and audiences ).

Yeh the original poster mentioned the three flops though. That’s why I replied, commenting that 3 misses in a row means it’s probably time to stop. 

I think Lone Survivor was before them?

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just saw The Meg. Fun movie! I’m a little surprised WOM isn’t better for it. Based on how weekdays were going, I gave it a 63% drop in the derby.

I thought it was making 163m total

• Sad 1