kayumanggi

ALADDIN | 695.1 M overseas ● 1050.7 M worldwide

37 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Can you project OS-J and J. 450 is impossible otherwise from 121m OW. There is significant compeition week after week in summer. 2.5x legs is better bet. I would say 400m is best case scenario as it has good WOM looking at internal multis in several markets.

It's completely possible, Maleficent did 4x facing Transformers, Planet Of The Apes and 22 Jump Street so i don't know why Aladdin with so good WOM will make only 2.5x.

Also, until TS4 comes out the competition are: Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, MIB and Pets.

God, DP and MIB aren't direct competition [and i highly doubt they will make much more than 300M OS]. Pets are direct competition and should do good numbers, but everything so far is pointing the movie will not come close to the first, so i can't imagine it causing so much trouble for Aladdin.

I would say: 

$ 105M OS-C-J with a 3.2x multiplier [less than Dumbo and basically all the LA by Disney] = 336M

China:$ 35 - 50M [let's see if the high Maoyan score will make it more leggier than usual]

Japan:$ 40 - 80M [we have to wait WOM there to see if total will be good or great]

Total:$ 411 - 466M

Edited by ThomasNicole

Spain opening is even better than initially announced. €4.7m ($5.2m), second biggest opening of the year, behind Endgame.

Considering the behaviour of this kind of movies in Spain, €15m total seems locked. 17-18 million seem possible. Just for the record, Beauty & the Beast opened to €5.6m and finished with €22m.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

From DHD OS update:

With $121Moverseas for $207.1M global (for the three-day), the Will Smith-starrer is off to a good start, notably over-performing domestically and seeing a strong launch in Asia. In IMAX, the worldwide bow is $15M with $6.9M from 996 international screens.

In like-for-like opening comps and at today’s rates, The Jungle Book bowed to $160M abroad, Maleficent did $107M and Cinderella $85M.

Family-friendly Latin America gave Genie No. 1s across the board with Aladdin tracking ahead of both Jungle Book and Cinderella, and very close to Maleficent. Mexico leads the region with an estimated $9.2M for three days, 121% ahead of Cinderella, 52% ahead of Jungle Book and 3% behind Maleficent, making it the second highest ever May opening weekend there. Brazil’s bow came in above all comps (+92% on Jungle Book/+55% on Cinderella/+35% on Maleficent).

Europe was the only place that Aladdin didn’t take No. 1s everywhere as John Wick: Chapter 3 was big in Germany as expected. It is, however, tracking ahead of both Maleficent and Cinderella across the region. As noted above, the UK and Italy were tops with $8.4M and $6.6M, respectively. The UK has a bank holiday this weekend that leads into half-term school breaks and sets up nice play.

In Italy Aladdin grabbed the 2nd best opening weekend of 2019, behind only Avengers: Endgame, and was 17% ahead of Maleficent. Elsewhere, Aladdin also posted the second highest opening weekend to date in 2019 in Spain, and was the best Ramadan bow ever in the UAE and Jordan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some markets Monday

China $2.9mn

Italy $0.8mn

Korea $0.8mn

Russia $0.7mn

India $0.6mn

Total 5.8mn Approx

Overall overseas shall be around $13mn ($136mn cume) Approx. Good Monday.

Shall be around $166-167mn by Thursday.

By Sunday shall cross $225-230mn. $400mn can be a good target without Japan. If Japan goes bonker and hit $75mn, may be $500mn overall.

If it follows, The Jungle Book legs, will do 418mn OS-C-J. 418 + 60 + 75 = 553mn

:sparta:

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Hilarious that this movie had terrible marketing and a lot of people writing it off but is overperforming af while Godzilla had masterpiece trailers and is underperforming..

I don't think that Aladdin had terrible marketing starting with full trailer which was really lovely, and it still had one up on GZ with more GA friendly story, big star and iconic songs. GZ is more of a nerd property coming off not-so-loved 2014 movie and lets not pretend that MBB is a movie star just cause she has 50M Twitter followers. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think that Aladdin had terrible marketing starting with full trailer which was really lovely, and it still had one up on GZ with more GA friendly story, big star and iconic songs. GZ is more of a nerd property coming off not-so-loved 2014 movie and lets not pretend that MBB is a movie star just cause she has 50M Twitter followers. 

Yes, on paper, Aladdin was a sure hit. But in reality, people wrote it off from the get go (Guy Ritchie? Jasmine is too white! Will Smith as Genie? What is Billy Magnussen doing there? Are they white washing this?). So they needed to turn this around, but unfortunately, the teasers and images only made it worse. That full trailer was the only decent one from the whole marketing before the movie was released.

Meanwhile, Godzilla had amazing trailers, killer posters, and great marketing. Yes it's more segmented and nerdy, but it shouldn't have bombed like what's happening now in OS-China. I think, Aladdin's better-than-expected quality and box office performance kinda killed the excitement for Godzilla. Especially for the GA. But we'll see how it performs in North America.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Hilarious that this movie had terrible marketing and a lot of people writing it off but is overperforming af while Godzilla had masterpiece trailers and is underperforming..

haha, as usual reality is more unpredictable than any fiction 

2 hours ago, catlover said:

Yes, on paper, Aladdin was a sure hit. But in reality, people wrote it off from the get go (Guy Ritchie? Jasmine is too white! Will Smith as Genie? What is Billy Magnussen doing there? Are they white washing this?). So they needed to turn this around, but unfortunately, the teasers and images only made it worse. That full trailer was the only decent one from the whole marketing before the movie was released.

Meanwhile, Godzilla had amazing trailers, killer posters, and great marketing. Yes it's more segmented and nerdy, but it shouldn't have bombed like what's happening now in OS-China. I think, Aladdin's better-than-expected quality and box office performance kinda killed the excitement for Godzilla. Especially for the GA. But we'll see how it performs in North America.

I think that we bought into Internet outrage over a,b,c Aladdin "transgressions" that GA absolutely does not care about. And by GA I mean worldwide GA, not just domestic one. It's a beloved story with a huge star and popular songs. it was going to be a hit no matter how many memes twitter comes up with.