kayumanggi

ALADDIN | 695.1 M overseas ● 1050.7 M worldwide

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

os could hit 660-670 depending from japan and south korea

Definitely, those two could go higher than people are currently projecting, so Aladdin could actually end up as high as $1.02 billion or even more. But unless Aladdin goes the way of Frozen the 1.1 billion talk is nothing but nonsense. Considering I was expecting half a billion, reaching 1 billion is crazy good and I'll be happy just for that, anything else is a bonus.

In the future I'd love to read a post-mortem on the final days of Aladdin through the eyes of those working on it, editors, visual effects artists, people in charge of marketing, even the director (to a lesser extent) about what was going on through their heads in the lead-up to the opening of the film, how they took the reception to that Genie reveal, the reviews and of course the first couple of days after, what was going through their heads when they saw the fruits of their labor and just how much the film was overperforming at the box office and of course how positive people were about it (in contrast to the tepid critical reception which I'm sure bummed out many of those people that worked their butts off on bringing Aladdin to the big screen).

I know Disney are generally pretty secretive about what goes on behind closed doors, but there's a great idea for a series on Disney+ about the final days before a big film's release. It could be a series of documentaries, and they'd only do like half a dozen a year for their biggest films.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Definitely, those two could go higher than people are currently projecting, so Aladdin could actually end up as high as $1.02 billion or even more. But unless Aladdin goes the way of Frozen the 1.1 billion talk is nothing but nonsense. Considering I was expecting half a billion, reaching 1 billion is crazy good and I'll be happy just for that, anything else is a bonus.

In the future I'd love to read a post-mortem on the final days of Aladdin through the eyes of those working on it, editors, visual effects artists, people in charge of marketing, even the director (to a lesser extent) about what was going on through their heads in the lead-up to the opening of the film, how they took the reception to that Genie reveal, the reviews and of course the first couple of days after, what was going through their heads when they saw the fruits of their labor and just how much the film was overperforming at the box office and of course how positive people were about it (in contrast to the tepid critical reception which I'm sure bummed out many of those people that worked their butts off on bringing Aladdin to the big screen).

I know Disney are generally pretty secretive about what goes on behind closed doors, but there's a great idea for a series on Disney+ about the final days before a big film's release. It could be a series of documentaries, and they'd only do like half a dozen a year for their biggest films.

oh yeah i agree, 1.1 bill is not realistic at this point

giphy.gif

Seriously, this is GREAT news. Considering the multiplier from this weekend will be 4+ (and it has to be to get close to the billion) Aladdin just added 9/10 millions to its total.

Edit: why the heck the gif doesn't work? lol

Edited by Omni
  • Like 1

Is it me or lately every Disney mega hit (which is basically 80% of all of them) ends up needing a final push for a huge milestone? 

It is a nice "problem" to have, though. I'm sure they love worrying about crossing 1b or beating Avatar instead of worrying about crossing 200m or breaking even. 

Edited by expensiveho
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Omni said:

giphy.gif

Seriously, this is GREAT news. Considering the multiplier from this weekend will be 4+ (and it has to be to get close to the billion) Aladdin just added 9/10 millions to its total.

yeah a drop  of 28-29% is insane

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Hoping for a billion but I guess it won't get there.

Still possible. It's one billion behind my "needs to do this to still have a realistic chance" projection", and it could go up with actuals.

Now it all depends on how the film performs in just 2 markets (SK and Japan). These two represent a good 60% of Aladdin's OS gross, and it's still uncertain how long it will keep its amazing holds in SK and how it holds in 2 weeks when a bunch of hits open in Japan at the beginning of summer holidays. It's all up to them + NA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

it can get there, its more likely to happen that not, but still long way to go

It can get there by Aug 11 if worldwide weekly drop is 30% or less.

Jun 30 => 874 (will most likely increase)

Jul 7     => 917

Jul 14   => 947

Jul 21   => 968

Jul 28   => 983

Aug 4    => 993

Aug 11  => $1B

At this point DOM, SK, and Japan will be the bulk of remaining gross. Weathered FFH in Japan this weekend without issue. If it does miss, will be because FFH hits it more DOM and SK, but I’m optimistic.

So here's a cool thing I found out today, no idea if this was brought to anyone's attention so far, but last week, Aladdin's 5th weekend, ranked 36th all-time in North America as far as 5th weekends go. You know what was 35th? Check out:

34 Signs BV $13,441,194 5.9% 3,437 $3,910 $227,966,634 8/2/02
35 Aladdin BV $13,381,926 6.2% 2,255 $5,934 $217,350,219 11/25/92
36 Aladdin (2019) BV $13,244,015 4.3% 3,435 $3,856 $305,861,946 5/24/19
37 Shrek DW $13,181,576 4.9% 3,317 $3,973 $267,665,011 5/16/01

So what were the odds of that happening, right? Aladdin 2019 pretty much even with Aladdin 1992. Of course the old one, being a late November release, had a very different run, that weekend in particular had Christmas day on Friday. But just the stars aligning in such a way to make that possible, pretty crazy!

Edited by AlexMA
small correction
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

8mn OS-C-J-K weekend compared to $19mn previous weekend, a drop of 60% drop. I wonder why 

Competitively The Jungle Book did $8mn in the same set of markets. 

The cume is $388mn Approx without these three and shall add another $27-30mn to $415-418mn.

China gonna conclude at $54mn. Korea will go on to $85mn Approx as well while Japan at $120mn.

This gives $675-678mn Overseas. 

Coupled with 350mn Domestic. Comfortable $1025mn.

• Like 7