2 hours ago, catlover said:

Yes, on paper, Aladdin was a sure hit. But in reality, people wrote it off from the get go (Guy Ritchie? Jasmine is too white! Will Smith as Genie? What is Billy Magnussen doing there? Are they white washing this?). So they needed to turn this around, but unfortunately, the teasers and images only made it worse. That full trailer was the only decent one from the whole marketing before the movie was released.

Meanwhile, Godzilla had amazing trailers, killer posters, and great marketing. Yes it's more segmented and nerdy, but it shouldn't have bombed like what's happening now in OS-China. I think, Aladdin's better-than-expected quality and box office performance kinda killed the excitement for Godzilla. Especially for the GA. But we'll see how it performs in North America.

I think that we bought into Internet outrage over a,b,c Aladdin "transgressions" that GA absolutely does not care about. And by GA I mean worldwide GA, not just domestic one. It's a beloved story with a huge star and popular songs. it was going to be a hit no matter how many memes twitter comes up with. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I think that we bought into Internet outrage over a,b,c Aladdin "transgressions" that GA absolutely does not care about. And by GA I mean worldwide GA, not just domestic one. It's a beloved story with a huge star and popular songs. it was going to be a hit no matter how many memes twitter comes up with. 

Well even without knowing the controversies, the GA still had internet access, watched the trailers and wasn't impressed. At least here the hype was really low before the movie was opened. One of my friends, who is the definition of "GA", thought the Genie was weird. But thanks to its great WOM, Aladdin opened to a surprisingly big number ($5.7m) in Indonesia, and is poised to become one of the biggest movies of the year, despite being a musical, a genre that is not popular at all here. The point is, Aladdin is overperforming, considering the lack of hype before its release.

Edited by catlover

well, something clearly went right in marketing since it's opening big. WOM comes after opening and this is opening big AND has great WOM.

22 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Where have you been lately. We need your expertise in the forum

He is studying for some test. So dont trouble him. He should ideally stay away from this place but cannot help looking for endgame and Aladdin numbers. 🙂

Posted (edited)

#1 in Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay, very small drops and even an increase in the last, all that with 3 new releases. WOM is great over here

Edited by lor15
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Posted (edited)

FANTASTIC HOLD! :bravo:

and we know actual will go up anyway so likely 80M.

Edited by Valonqar

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

super good hold,like under 40% drop

Edited by GOXOG

Sensational hold. I wonder how next week will be. it basically clobbered Zilla in OS (except C and J ).

If Japan shows Prince Alí some love i think 800M ww is possible

That hold is amazing. Let's see Japan next weekend but it could smash there.

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sensational hold. I wonder how next week will be. it basically clobbered Zilla in OS (except C and J ).

can i ask what the final total looks like ?

8 minutes ago, john2000 said:

can i ask what the final total looks like ?

at this point WW over 700 is looking good,if it have good hold the rest of its run and great number from Japan over 800$ is quite possible

31 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

That Indonesia's number! :ohmygod:

Didn't expect it to pass $10m so easily. Already outgrossed BatB, and will make more than most MCU movies. Did not see this coming at all. If it survives local films' attack on Eid week, it could even secure a spot inside the top 10 imported film of all time! That is unprecedented for a musical film. Then again, it's not just a musical. It has romance, drama, comedy, and action. A movie for all and a perfect one for holidays.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 5

Opening weekend : $123M

second weekend : $78M 

that’s an OUTRAGEOUS 36.5 % DROP.

could target 35% drop with actuals. 

I’m expecting $335M OS total until next weekend.

Great things are

-the frontloaded China already opened (it also seems has a decent hold there tho ). 

-the leggiest market still to come ( Japan )

so expect a great hold over next weeks with DP looking to flop , KotM and MiB looking to be an underperformed and SLOP not looking too good ( UK is an early indication )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

Opening weekend : $123M

second weekend : $78M 

that’s an OUTRAGEOUS 36.5 % DROP.

could target 35% drop with actuals. 

I’m expecting $335M OS total until next weekend.

Great things are

-the frontloaded China already opened (it also seems has a decent hold there tho ). 

-the leggiest market still to come ( Japan )

so expect a great hold over next weeks with DP looking to flop , KotM and MiB looking to be an underperformed and SLOP not looking too good ( UK is an early indication )

could hit 800+