grim22

Bombshell | Lionsgate | Dec 13 Limited, Dec 20 wide | Jay Roach directing. From the writer of The Big Short. John Lithgow is Roger Ailes, Charlize Theron is Megyn Kelly, Nicole Kidman is Gretchen Carlson. Margot Robbie also stars

I knew people are going to try to hate on this film. Thank god I am not American, easily to brainwash and actually remember this event vividly. 59% my ass. If it was a pathetic story about any other group people love to cry over these days it would have between 90 and 100%. I mean, tone deaf or whatever they are attributing to the film. C'mon. Grow up people. No wonder Trump wins in this country with such a prejudiced and "angry over everything (without knowledge)" left and "progressive left".

Theron absolutely deserves to be a frontrunner over Lupita and other nonsense overhyped roles intended to make Oscars "not so white". Ugh...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

I knew people are going to try to hate on this film. Thank god I am not American, easily to brainwash and actually remember this event vividly. 59% my ass. If it was a pathetic story about any other group people love to cry over these days it would have between 90 and 100%. I mean, tone deaf or whatever they are attributing to the film. C'mon. Grow up people. No wonder Trump wins in this country with such a prejudiced and "angry over everything (without knowledge)" left and "progressive left".

Theron absolutely deserves to be a frontrunner over Lupita and other nonsense overhyped roles intended to make Oscars "not so white". Ugh...

The rise of the far right is not an American thing, it's happening in many countries. 

But the stupidity of American "progressive" is endless and it's not similar how European youth views politics. And "Bombshell" is not a FAR RIGHT film, not even supporting right at all. The whole point is about irony, and that Kidman scene exactly explains how women activists in US are "understanding". Give me a break. It's sad actually. Theron's role which is questionable for nomination because of a sudden backlash is MILES, MIIIIIILES ahead of Nyongo's, Erivo's and especially Johansson's. This is me talking as a film critic. As a subjective member of audience I'd be even more harsh.

Once again  - Oscars should not be a charity event which counts diversity quota over the quality of the roles. If it happens that all 5 best performances are by poc - don't nominate white actresses. Period. It just happens so that these poc roles enjoy heavy push just because AMPAS are scared of being called racist. And as someone who's 32, I don't care what half to zero educated film critics in USA have to say. not only that their entire reviews are a superficial analysis of political situation, and not the commentary about the QUALITY (or lack of it) of the film, so I rarely bother reading them. And you can say that the most of them didn't even watch a film.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

But the stupidity of American "progressive" is endless and it's not similar how European youth views politics. And "Bombshell" is not a FAR RIGHT film, not even supporting right at all. The whole point is about irony, and that Kidman scene exactly explains how women activists in US are "understanding". Give me a break. It's sad actually. Theron's role which is questionable for nomination because of a sudden backlash is MILES, MIIIIIILES ahead of Nyongo's, Erivo's and especially Johansson's. This is me talking as a film critic. As a subjective member of audience I'd be even more harsh.

Once again  - Oscars should not be a charity event which counts diversity quota over the quality of the roles. If it happens that all 5 best performances are by poc - don't nominate white actresses. Period. It just happens so that these poc roles enjoy heavy push just because AMPAS are scared of being called racist. And as someone who's 32, I don't care what half to zero educated film critics in USA have to say. not only that their entire reviews are a superficial analysis of political situation, and not the commentary about the QUALITY (or lack of it) of the film, so I rarely bother reading them. And you can say that the most of them didn't even watch a film.

It's the West in general. We're eating ourselves with the progressiveness and cancel culture. Most people are brainwashed and insane. 

Edited by JB33

Sorry but Lupita was a revelation in Us. The Botox Queen could literally never.

• Thanks 1

Shut up

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Eric Plus said:

Moderation

Nope. We’re not doing this. Not while I’m eating dinner. Any posts about politics or “the West is infected with progressivism” will see consequences.

Fair enough. Sorry about that.

• Haha 1

The Botox Queen is, I suppose, Nicole Kidman. Please make comments after you see more than 10 films of hers. Nobody here is denying Lupita's good but FAR FROM EXCELLENT role. When you have film like "Us", where idea flops during the first 30 mins, screenplay is a mess, cast is kind of ok and visuals are A+, anything that Nyong'o did will be amazing. It's not a bad role, I repeat, but nothing to nominate her for Oscar for. Charlize, on the other hand, well, it's way more than just mask and make-up.

As I said, I can assume, along with the critics, most of you still didn't see the film. I knew THAT scene is going to be problematic. There is one more. Overall, the film may not be the best picture winner but it's way better than what these mediocre critics are saying.

Ok, leave my opinion aside, open all the reviews from RT and Metactritic at separate windows. Read the first paragraph of all of them. Copy/paste Republican women/superficial because we are (god forbid) listening to Carlson complain while she's working on Fox. Wtf honestly? What kind of analysis is that?

Watch the film! Focus on the performances. And if the overall film doesn't show you how anti-Fox and anti-Right is, OPEN your eyes during the last 5-6 minutes. It's like an expose against everything you guys are saying the film is supporting.

This film was always going to get backlash from left leaning critics for allegedly painting the Fox News hosts as the heroes. I saw quite a bit of complaining about it on twitter when the trailer was first released. 

Its debatable how relevant that that is to quality of the film but it was inevitable. 

Edited by ban1o

The makers of this movie wanted to do a movie that high lights a prominent Me-Too case while featuring a prominent news network and a film that could reach wide audiences. But in order to make the protagonists likeable they ignore a lot of the racism (and misogyny) they constantly propagated. Is the fact that these women were racists ( or spouted racist lines) relevant to the movie? Maybe not, but it makes  the movie  more problematic among the liberal critics where politics and intersectionality maters a lot, especially nowadays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

This film was always going to get backlash from left leaning critics for allegedly painting the Fox News hosts as the heroes. I saw quite a bit of complaining about it on twitter when the trailer was first released. 

Its debatable how relevant that that is to quality of the film but it was inevitable. 

I don't even count "twitter complaining" as real complaining anymore. If a controversy is 'real' it'll make its way off Twitter and will then be something worth looking at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

I don't even count "twitter complaining" as real complaining anymore. If a controversy is 'real' it'll make its way off Twitter and will then be something worth looking at. 

But it’s not just twitter this is in many of the reviews as well lol 

• Like 1