grim22

Bombshell | Lionsgate | Dec 13 Limited, Dec 20 wide | Jay Roach directing. From the writer of The Big Short. John Lithgow is Roger Ailes, Charlize Theron is Megyn Kelly, Nicole Kidman is Gretchen Carlson. Margot Robbie also stars

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:17 AM, filmlover said:

I will say no matter the quality of this, it's certain to flop hard at the box office. Vice sorta tanked and that had much more going for it on paper. Nobody wants to venture out to a theater to see something like this, especially not around the holidays.

And then Showtime just had a miniseries about Roger Ailes;"The Loudest Voice" which covers the exact same material. That will not help.

I'm not expecting this movie to be a hit, but I also don't think that the existence of The Loudest Voice - the Showtime miniseries with Russell Crowe - is going to hurt it to a significant degree. As one of the few who stuck with The Loudest Voice for the first few weeks, I can attest to how that show covered relatively little of the ground this film will address. Furthermore, the show didn't get much viewership to begin with (and even I - a decidedly leftist voter - gave up on it before the Carlson-centric episodes because it was just too brutally cynical for my liking). If/when this movie is a non-starter, it won't be because of The Loudest Voice,

I hope to be proven wrong because the cast is great, the director has made two really good political flicks in Recount and Game Change (and got most of the way there with the barely-above-mediocre Will Ferrell/Zack Galifianiakis political comedy The Campaign), and I'm always game for a takedown of misogyny in mass media, but I get the feeling that this one will be a non-starter.

31 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Is this going to any of the festivals?It seems like everyone is sleeping on it but with its story and cast it seems like it could be an awards player.Yet I haven’t heard about it until recently.

No it isn't I don't think. Not necessarily necessary, particularly if it's not that great. Don't see why it would be an awards movie other than that the writer was involved with The Big Short which i guess is kinda similar?

They might be hoping for some makeup awards or maybe a performance nod here or there. But don't really see it being an awards contender.

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Is this going to any of the festivals?It seems like everyone is sleeping on it but with its story and cast it seems like it could be an awards player.Yet I haven’t heard about it until recently.

Most likely not. Maybe AFI in November, but I doubt it.