sfran43

Weekend Thread: HTM heading for about 10 mill..CRA killing it with projected 4% drop

Finally watched CRA. It was wonderful. The female lead character was so good and extremely relatable. Michelle Yeoh was also good, but the person who stole the movie was female lead’s best friend. Absolutely hysterical! One of the better romantic comedies I’ve seen in a long time. Such heart!

• Like 2

Since its a slow weekend, decided to look at the Fandango summer movies poll to see how things actually went

Most Anticipated 2018 Summer Blockbuster:

1. Avengers: Infinity War (April 27)
  2. Deadpool 2 (May 18)
  3. Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)
  4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)
  5. Incredibles 2 (June 15)
  6. Ocean’s 8 (June 😎
  7. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (July 20)
  8. Mission: Impossible – Fallout (July 27)
  9. Sicario: Day of the Soldado (June 29)
  10. Ant-Man and the Wasp (July 6)

They got the top movie right, JWFK and Incredibles 2 look to have been underestimated a lot. Ant Man will probably finish #6 when it is all said and done, Fallout will go to 5 and Solo will drop to 7.  Sicario is the crazy inclusion there, it didn't even do 50M (good for its budget but who voted it to #9 on the summer movie list)

Most Anticipated Summer Family Film:

1. The Incredibles 2 (June 15)
  2. Disney’s Christopher Robin (August 3)
  3. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (July 13)
  4. Show Dogs (May 18)
  5. Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (July 27)

HT3 beat Christopher Robin. Was the summer so bleak for family movies that Show Dogs and Teen Titans Go made this list?

Most Anticipated Live-Action Comedy

1. The Spy Who Dumped Me (August 3)
  2. Crazy Rich Asians (August 17)
  3. Book Club (May 18)
  4. Tag (June 15)
  5. Life of the Party (May 11)

Fan Pick for Summer Sleeper

1. Crazy Rich Asians (August 17)
  2. Sorry to Bother You (July 6)
  3. Blindspotting (July 27)
  4. Eighth Grade (July 13)
  5. Hereditary (June 8 )
Spy Who Dumped me ended up as the lowest grossing comedy from the list. In the Summer sleeper, CRA wins it by a mile
  • Like 1

Saw HTM.  I didn't hate it and theres a few scenes that will stay with me for quite a while.  But the main problem with it is that it's not really all that funny, like at all.  I agree with the C cinemascore.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/melissa-mccarthy-happytime-murders-crazy-rich-asians-meg-weekend-box-office-1202451694/

3RD UPDATE, Friday 11:46PM: Refresh for chart Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians is flat out doing amazing this weekend with an unprecedented $25.5M, which is an unbelievable -4% dip from its first weekend’s $26.5M.

Which brings us to STX Entertainment’s raunchy R-rated Melissa McCarthy-puppet comedy The Happytime Murders which is dead, wrapped in plastic with a $10.2M start, repping the Groundling alum’s lowest wide opening ever for one of her solo films, not counting St. Vincent which was a platform release.

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 11
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, POTUS said:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/melissa-mccarthy-happytime-murders-crazy-rich-asians-meg-weekend-box-office-1202451694/

3RD UPDATE, Friday 11:46PM: Refresh for chart Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians is flat out doing amazing this weekend with an unprecedented $25.5M, which is an unbelievable -4% dip from its first weekend’s $26.5M.

Which brings us to STX Entertainment’s raunchy R-rated Melissa McCarthy-puppet comedy The Happytime Murders which is dead, wrapped in plastic with a $10.2M start, repping the Groundling alum’s lowest wide opening ever for one of her solo films, not counting St. Vincent which was a platform release.

This is an amazing number for CRA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Get Out dropped 15% 2nd weekend for a non-Wednesday opener so not that rare for recent times

Try 4% for Crazy Rich Asians then :ohmygod:

Wow.

As per Deadline, Melissa McCarthy got between $10m-17.5m payday for Happytime Murders and didn’t even promote it lol. 

• Astonished 2

Guys, I’ve been absent for quite some time (I admit to follow the site only when a movie I root for is released, like Fantastic Beasts or Fallout),so I missed the disappearance of the Olympian God RTH. What happened? Why did he stop giving us his amazing info?

3 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Guys, I’ve been absent for quite some time (I admit to follow the site only when a movie I root for is released, like Fantastic Beasts or Fallout),so I missed the disappearance of the Olympian God RTH. What happened? Why did he stop giving us his amazing info?

He only shows up when quality filmmaking is released in multiplexes.

Rom Coms ?

:hahaha:

Edited by The Futurist

Gotta wonder how high it can actually go with a number like that. The closest comp is probably The Help but this hold is miles better than that and this has the bonus of Labor Day in it's third weekend rather than it's fourth. Would be extra fun if it could try take the title from Big Fat Greek Wedding, but that might be a bit out of reach.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

A.X.L. reportedly carries a budget of $70M. That's like half of what fellow E.T. rip-off Monster Trucks cost and still far too much for such a bargain-basement project.

that's fucking amazing. Global Road you're really ... (you can set everything expression you want). Bye, another studio.

Crazy Rich Asians- needs clear Friday numbers for judging about the level of awesomeness.

28 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Amazing figure for Crazy Rich Asians; the best second weekend hold for a film in 3,000+ theaters that was not aided by a holiday, I believe. And with Labor Day next weekend, it has a great chance to have a third weekend bigger than its first.

You mean like 30M third weekend?

:ohmygod:

• Astonished 1