A Marvel Fanboy

Rotten Tomatoes Adjusts Criteria to Include More Diverse Critics

20 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Doesn't affect me. I don't care about the Tomatometer.

I have free will and can make up my own mind.

https://twitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/NotWorthy.jpg

ETA: but yes, does RT really have much use to anyone anymore beyond being ammo for franchise wars? As one writer astutely noted, "RT doesn't tell you how good a film is, just how accessible it is."

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

This won't do shit for quality of reviewing cause the rating system remains the same. passable = fresh, raved = fresh. Passable movie can score 90%+ if more critics agree to give it a pass, while actual quality could score worse if it's more divisive and some flat out dislike it. So in short, it's gonna be the same as before. Certain geek movies will always get a pass. Movies with certain director and/or cast will get a pass unless there's preemptive backlash like when critics were gearing up to give AWIT a pass and fans called them out. Aka "Ambitious" movies. Etc.

So neither good nor bad idea since nothing will change. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:40 AM, Hatebox said:

ETA: but yes, does RT really have much use to anyone anymore beyond being ammo for franchise wars? As one writer astutely noted, "RT doesn't tell you how good a film is, just how accessible it is."

I'm sure Alfonso Cuaron appreciates it right now

Seriously, by now it's feeling like anti-RTers are willfully ignoring this counterpoint. If anyone really thinks there is or ever has been a more efficient and accessible publicity tool for acclaimed independent films (or even non-franchise movies of any budget or studio) than Rotten Tomatoes, I am all ears.

The arguments against RT all seem to be rooted in the same kind of closed-mindedness everyone's so quick to accuse the site's critic contingency of. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 5:32 PM, Captain Craig said:

Doesn't affect me. I don't care about the Tomatometer.

I have free will and can make up my own mind about a $12 movie. 

I'm not buying a car or refrigerator where something like Consumer Reports can really dive deep into a product. 

I call bullshit. I bet if you were on the fence about seeing a movie and it ended up having 0% you'd probably give it a miss

On 8/29/2018 at 1:40 PM, Hatebox said:

RT is huge worldwide, to say it has no uses is kinda stupid 

14 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm sure Alfonso Cuaron appreciates it right now

Seriously, by now it's feeling like anti-RTers are willfully ignoring this counterpoint. If anyone really thinks there is or ever has been a more efficient and accessible publicity tool for acclaimed independent films (or even non-franchise movies of any budget or studio) than Rotten Tomatoes, I am all ears.

The arguments against RT all seem to be rooted in the same kind of closed-mindedness everyone's so quick to accuse the site's critic contingency of. 

Dude, I know it's hard to believe, but indie films did very well from good reviews and WOM before the invention of the internet. You're giving the site waaaayyyy too much credit there.

Edited by Hatebox

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Dude, I know it's hard to believe, but indie films did very well from good reviews and WOM before the invention of the internet. You're giving the site waaaayyyy too much credit there.

That doesn't negate what I said. Just because some found success before the internet doesn't mean they can't still be more successful, and the site undeniably makes it much easier to find them. I recall one of A24's execs really singing their praises.

Edited by tribefan695

7 hours ago, Jessie said:

I call bullshit. I bet if you were on the fence about seeing a movie and it ended up having 0% you'd probably give it a miss

Nice to meet you Jessie. You are wrong. 

Let me give you a close example. I saw R.I.P.D., it currently has 14% and I suspect wasn't much better at the time but I wouldn't know cause I wasn't looking at RT. I just knew I was curious to see it, so I did.

That is all.

• Like 1

The only place I use when I search for movies is IMDB and I do look at the audience ratings as they seem bit closer to actual rating I would give out. But I don't do this for fanboy movies, as they will be heavy on the fanboy ratings. 

Rotten Tomatoes is wonderful if you understand how it works and use it as a guide instead of blindly following the tomato meter. I always take a peak at the average rate.

I don't have time to watch everything.

I have also discovered lots of critics I enjoy following because of the site and who I now follow regularly.

I also love going to the site after watching a movie and loving it to read all the blurbs from the positive reviews that feel the same way I did.

I also don't get the hate for the site. The don't rate anything, they simply compile all the reviews into one easy to access place. What is wrong with that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2018 at 11:44 PM, Captain Craig said:

I don't get the folks who feel the insistence on doing research of critics before seeing a movie.

Seriously, you've been watching films for how long? You do or don't know your own personal taste and preferences? Sure, has the marginal films trailer been deceptive at times? Seen all the good jokes in the trailer? On occasion that happens but I sometimes I get a sour grape in the bunch of sweet ones.

I'd say I walk out of a theater 90% of the time or better feeling ok with my choice and dollar spent to varying degrees. 

I can mentally prepare myself and expectations for Greatest Showman vs Tomb Raider vs Infinity War vs Won't You Be My Neighbor

Is it really that hard to understand? Most people don't have enough money to see every movie that they want to see. So they have to be selective. Only choose the ones that are worth the money. One of the selection processes is checking the reviews from the critics. If the reviews are good, then there's a bigger chance that they will enjoy the movie, than when the reviews are bad. That's not always the case, but it's another problem. It's actually that simple.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, catlover said:

Is it really that hard to understand? Most people don't have enough money to see every movie that they want to see. So they have to be selective. Only choose the ones that are worth the money. One of the selection processes is checking the reviews from the critics. If the reviews are good, then there's a bigger chance that they will enjoy the movie, than when the reviews are bad. That's not always the case, but it's another problem. It's actually that simple.

Is it really so hard to understand that I'm perplexed how one doesn't know oneself after years of movie going to be able to make up ones own mind? You watch 2-3 trailers, see a few TV spots and you can't figure out for yourself if it might be good. You need some "pro" reviewer(s) aggregate score? The word of your own friends or co-workers isn't good enough?

It's actually that simple.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Is it really so hard to understand that I'm perplexed how one doesn't know oneself after years of movie going to be able to make up ones own mind? You watch 2-3 trailers, see a few TV spots and you can't figure out for yourself if it might be good. You need some "pro" reviewer(s) aggregate score? The word of your own friends or co-workers isn't good enough?

It's actually that simple.

I'm not sure why marketing as an influencer is superior to reviews in the scheme of decision making.

Most people use a combination of interest in subject mater, actors/directors, marketing materials, reviews and personal WOM - weighted to different degrees.  It's not a difficult concept.

• Like 2