A Marvel Fanboy

Rotten Tomatoes Adjusts Criteria to Include More Diverse Critics

7 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Is it really so hard to understand that I'm perplexed how one doesn't know oneself after years of movie going to be able to make up ones own mind? You watch 2-3 trailers, see a few TV spots and you can't figure out for yourself if it might be good. You need some "pro" reviewer(s) aggregate score? The word of your own friends or co-workers isn't good enough?

It's actually that simple.

There is over 10,000 movies made a year most without any tv spot or that I would not know if not for the festival or critics, there is much more movies from the past than getting released, trailers from movie of the past are often quite low quality.

Aggregrate system a la :

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000.htm

RT isn't much for movie you did follow closely (because of a director with a career you follow) but for the rest.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Eek hopefully it’s not an onslaught of youtubers. 

People who have studied film would be a good start. 

That's my problem with this idea. I am like Captain Craig. I don't ever read reviews to decide what movie to see. However, I understand that some people are different, and they do like to read reviews. But, what I can't understand, is how allowing people who are not professional reviewers to influence movie ratings provides any sort of help. Why is their uneducated opinion about movies any more valuable than anyone else's? By that standard, we should all be allowed to write reviews for Rotten Tomatoes and have our reviews count towards the score. Either the website is for professional reviewers or it is for everyone to write reviews. Having non-professionals write reviews doesn't make sense, and I don't see how it helps anyone decide what movie to see. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Is it really so hard to understand that I'm perplexed how one doesn't know oneself after years of movie going to be able to make up ones own mind? You watch 2-3 trailers, see a few TV spots and you can't figure out for yourself if it might be good. You need some "pro" reviewer(s) aggregate score? The word of your own friends or co-workers isn't good enough?

8 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

^^^

Well I guess I'm unique and niche cause I don't use reviews. The other factors, sure, spot on.

To me it does not sound ‚perplexed‘ in especial in the sum of the posts.

It sounds biased, and like it’s something ‚less‘ than your method.

And that is wrong in my POV as it ignores :

for the most people who do like reviews.... like

- it as an additional source,

- use it either for all movies or ‚only’ for certain genres / kind of movies, 

- also by far not all movies even get a trailer,

- then there is too often a trailer misleading,

- also I‘ve encountered rather often a situation where little details can be a deciding factor, especially if it’s e.g. biography like, agenda ridden, bias,.... of the film makers exists too.

If you use reviews quite a lot, you can find critics that are a good match, if you follow them you might find even titles you‘d not know about beforehand.

Not all live in a city with multiple multiplex cinemas and indies showing cinemas, not all live in a country where all the movies will even get released.

Cinema can be expensive in not only money (don‘t forget some need a babysitter also), but also rather time-consuming, especially if one does not only watches ‚event‘-movies / big budget movies and others with a high profile.

Personally I do not use them a lot, but I‘d not exclude them in such a way neither, I‘d get in danger to watch too many movies out of the same reduced pool of potentials, miss something that gives a new perspective or .....

• Like 1

I can't understand why people give so much value to Rotten Tomatoes when trying to chose what to watch. I only use it when a movie not on my radar gets rave reviews, then I become interested in it. But I think everyone had enough disagreements with critics consensuses before to know that there's no guarantee they will always agree.

• Like 2

Personally, I only like to read reviews after seeing a movie. Like, if I really enjoyed a movie with bad reviews or vice versa, it can be interesting to hear what was so hated or loved about it. Sometimes I can gain a new appreciation for a film that way. And sometimes I just can’t pinpoint what bothered me and the review helps.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Oh I understand you, very well. In fact, I too don't let the critics dictate what I like and what I don't, what I should see and what I shouldn't. But I also get why people rely on critics, because they are percieved as more credible than their friends or co-workers. Also, I didn't say critics review is the only factor. It's just one of many. Of course the trailers, WOM, and other things are also considered in the decision making. To me, reading reviews of a movie is not that important, but to many, it is the main selection process. That's what I was trying to say.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, catlover said:

....but to many, it is the main selection process. That's what I was trying to say.

Agree to the rest, but I do not know anyone in RL who decides per a review as a ‚main‘ source in general.

Maaaaybe for a genre they are not used too, want to give a try, maybe if it’s about a film festival as a fast pre-sort help if the offer is too big to watch them all, but by far not in general situations

The issue is what makes a professional Critic in 2019?

Like if a person spends years on Youtube Reviewing movies and gets 100s of thousands and million and views, is he not a film critique? 

Jermey Jahn is the example i use. 

I used to love reading reviews in the newspapers and certain magazines. Usually for horror films I was excited for.

But I never read a full online review nowadays. Sometimes I’ll look at the “quotes” on RT but I’ve already made my mind up about the film anyway. 

50 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

So I was looking at their ranking of the MCU which is based on the Tomatometer but somehow Shang-Chi got #6 when there are movies below it with a higher score?

All 27 Marvel Movies Ranked: See MCU Movies By Tomatometer << Rotten Tomatoes – Movie and TV News

I remember it was on 93% for a LONG time, some random rottens must have come very late.

Edited by Fox20

Even ignoring the change in the RT% ranking that's a lazy RT ranking by RT.  Why bother including the avg rating if they're just going to ignore it. 

AM&W with a 87% RT and a 7.0 avg rating is not more critically liked than IW with an 85% RT and a 7.6 avg rating

Likewise,  Avengers with a now 91%/ 8.1 avg is listed below  SM:HC and GOTG with 92% but  7.7 and 7.8 ratings

More bizarrely CW with a 90%/7.7 avg rating and CA:TWS with a 90%/7.6avg are listed below SM:FFH with a 90%/7.4  

Of course when they do weighted lists they also screw up.  I recall they had Wonder Woman over TDK when neither the % or avg were anywhere close.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2