Boxofficerules

KINS Weekend Thread: 3 Day estimates: CRA make crazy rich #s with $22.2 million, TM Chomps On $10.5 million, M:IF doesn’t fall with $7 million, OF $6 million, Searching finds $5.7 million, KIN does $3 million.

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm so fucking annoyed Searching didn't go into 2k theaters like originally planned. It's going to have a PTA over 5k for the 4 day ffs; Sony left so much money off the table. Hopefully it expands next week.

To be fair, with the Mollie Tibbetts case, I think Sony might have had cold feet and were afraid of any sort of backlash if this opened wide in 2k theaters.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

To be fair, with the Mollie Tibbetts case, I think Sony might have had cold feet and were afraid of any sort of backlash if this opened wide in 2k theaters.

That's exactly why they got cold feet, but this still could've been opening in the high singles (maybe even 10M) if they went through with the original plan.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Sometimes I don't understand how some of you guys come up with some of these outlandish predictions. Why would a star is born open up to 50 million? Mike is there that much demand for it? And since when is Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga that much of a draw?

• Like 3

Searching is a decent mystery thriller if you've been craving one of those. Watching everything unfold as if you're staring at activity on a computer screen gets old after about ten minutes and there are some plot holes during the search. Still, the movie is engaging and entertaining. It's a good alternative if you have already seen CRA, The Meg or MI:Fallout.

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

Sometimes I don't understand how some of you guys come up with some of these outlandish predictions. Why would a star is born open up to 50 million? Mike is there that much demand for it? And since when is Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga that much of a draw?

With it getting critical raves right now basically everything is going right for it. 

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

Is it technically still previews, given that its expanding? Is there a standard way of viewing those or does it vary from movie to movie?

If they specifically do an evening (not a full day) of shows before opening then they usually call it previews and roll it in with the OD.

Most films don't do previews until they're opening wide though.

Edited by TalismanRing

33 minutes ago, baumer said:

The last one was quite the success (354m 2018 dollars)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_in_film

Rank Title Studio Domestic gross
1. Rocky United Artists Pictures $117,235,147[1]
2. To Fly! National Air and Space Museum $86,600,000[2]
3. A Star Is Born Warner Bros. $80,000,000[3]
4. All the President's Men Warner Bros. $70,600,000[4]
5. The Omen 20th Century Fox Film Corporation $60,922,980[5]
6. In Search of Noah's Ark Sunn Classic Pictures $55,700,000[6]
7. King Kong Paramount Pictures $52,614,445[7]
8. Silver Streak 20th Century-Fox Film Corporation $51,079,064[8]
9. The Enforcer Warner Bros. $46,236,000[9]
10. Midway Universal Studios / Cinema International Corporation $43,220,000[10]

Popular movie classic remake

critical acclaim,

it will have TIFF buzz going on we can imagine,

Musicals have done well recently from Mamma Mia, Showman, Beauty, La la land.

Gaga will help visibility, awareness maybe some song will play well before release.

Cooper has a main character non-voice role went above 100m domestic 6 times in the last 9 year's and Limitless was also a strong performer.

First October weekend can do that nice 50m for movie not too big or big but not from establish franchise.

Taken 2: 49.5

Gravity: 55m

Gone Girl: 37.5m

The Martian: 54m

Bad last 2 year, with Bad Runner fumbling

That a title that could do well F+25 and also F-25, 50m is obviously on the very optimistic side but not it is out of reach impossible. Ocean 8 do feel quite possible.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, baumer said:

I personally don't think ASIB will open to $50m but I get the feeling it's going to do very well.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

I would have thought Peppermint was the more offensive film in that case.