Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

19 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I loved this from the very first frame. Booked again for Friday.

This is now an Ana de Armas stan account.

I don't recall seeing her really 'lead' a film before but she is fabulous in this. 

Worried that her role in Bond is gonna be a nothing role. But hopefully this is enough to get her more high profile roles.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just got back in.

Go see it; it's highly recommended.

Paying close attention to the movie while its happening will be rewarded.  There are no cheats in this one, near as I can tell, thought I did have to remember to play back some scenes in my head to make sure.

Just about anything else I have to say could be spoily.

====

Since there is no spoiler thread, spoiler bar rules are in effect for this thread, right @DeeCee @grim22.  That is, we can discuss things in spoiler bars here and freely in the RTM thread?

Or only the RTM thread?  Kinda want to make sure on that score.

• Like 3

A couple of lines that showed just how tightly plotted this film was stood out to me in retrospect.

Spoilers, obviously.  And I ain't kidding here, either, as I touch on the ending more than a bit.

Spoiler

I'm going to paraphrase this, but "Harlan always said he didn't have difficulty with his plots for his books and that they came to him in an instant".

Shows how he could come up with a fairly detailed plan like the one he did on the spot.

The other line about knives, and folks who have seen the movie know which one I am talking about, was pretty important as well.

Not entirely sure things will be as neat for Marta and her family when all is said and done as implied by the ending of the film. She did attempt a cover-up after all.  Plus evading the police and all that.

Then again, as she herself noted, she can now afford some very very good lawyers.

Still, that's mostly a quibble and one that probably goes with the territory.  As it is a very finely crafted movie that I am 100% sure will reward a rewatch or two.

Back to non-spoiler thoughts.  If folks like finely crafted mysteries with stellar acting and a liberal amount of humor dashed throughout, then this flick is for you.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, MrPink said:

I don't recall seeing her really 'lead' a film before but she is fabulous in this. 

Worried that her role in Bond is gonna be a nothing role. But hopefully this is enough to get her more high profile roles.

Ana has incredible screen presence...I remember being completely mesmerized by her in BR2049. 

On 11/27/2019 at 4:28 AM, The Futurist said:

Critics and cinephiles are so bored with films and life that subverting expectations is good enough for them.

They are easy to please that's why Rian Johnson strives with these communities.

Parasite is cut from the same cloth as Knives Out.

I notice certain users or critics that blast well received franchise films would praise rather mediocre 'original' films just simply they are original.

However in this case, all indications showcase KO is a well made film. 

I think most users and people overall like good original films and franchise films... 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I notice certain users or critics that blast well received franchise films would praise rather mediocre 'original' films just simply they are original.

That could be a sample type of affair too, a critic see 350-400 movies in a year it will be quite hard to keep track of what they liked or not for someone without special attention, but you will remember the big title you liked and they disliked.

Of those 300-400 movies they saw, 200+ will be what you would "call" original, they will have find quite average 100 of them, liked 50, disliked 50 and you could by the nature of how memory work just saw/remembered the 5 they liked that you didn't.

When you have seen 10,000 movies and 40 new that week, fresh/original can certainly gain point but it is never automatic (very original stuff get destroyed by critics every day) and appreciation for a very well build classic structure when you are the poor one that was forced to saw 100 bad take on it for your job can also start to appear.

Edited by Barnack

HOLY SHIT. Huge spoilers below but this could change meaning of the entire film:

Spoiler

Marta's lying disorder might be fake. I just read that Marta said to Harlan that she drank champagne so she can't play Go but we know that she didn't drink because we see her say that she doesn't drink when she's working. This means that she lied to Harlan and didn't vomit. Does that mean Marta has been behind the murder this whole time? This might go nowhere (because Ransom does admit to mixing up the Morphine and attempting to murder Harlan) but I really need to rewatch the film to just see if this theory works. Maybe the flashbacks might reveal something too. I wonder if Marta was actually manipulating Harlan into changing his will.

But I think this theory kind of defeats the message of the film.

Edited by lorddemaxus