Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

While I think it's a little too soon to gauge how well Knives Out can do at the box office, I do believe there's one major detriment standing against the film, that being Queen & Slim, which opens on the same weekend. It has become much harder for an adult-focused film to find footing at the box office without a general sense of prestige; Knives Out may or may not be a great film, but its tone may rub people the wrong way, and it doesn't seem likely that major awards are going to want to back it. Meanwhile, Universal, coming off of a Best Picture win with Green Book, can position Queen & Slim as a very important film which simply must be seen. If these two films remain on the same weekend, it will be one of the most exciting, noteworthy, and consequential box office weekends of the year, and I will be eager to see which film grosses above the other.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, TMP said:

Johnson isn't a draw like Nolan, I don't know why this would do much more than Bad Times did.

the fact that ‘a rian johnson whodunnit’ is so prominent on the poster made me laugh. he really does not have the name recognition to be pulling that shit.

and i’d wager the people that DO know his name, don’t necessarily have a high opinion of him

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Although I am sure the movie is great, I would take any comment from film festival directors with a grain of salt. They are trying to market the film festival itself (by building up their lineup). Film festival directors have said great things about bad films in the past. But unlike many other cases, I think the movie will actually end up being as good as it is being built up to be by the LFF director.

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Although I am sure the movie is great, I would take any comment from film festival directors with a grain of salt. They are trying to market the film festival itself (by building up their lineup). Film festival directors have said great things about bad films in the past. But unlike many other cases, I think the movie will actually end up being as good as it is being built up to be by the LFF director.

True enough.  But just like post-premiere hype on social media there are nuggets to be gleaned in what is (and isn't) said.  "Arch", "clever", "guessing to the final moments"* are things to pick up on as a frame of reference for expectations.

* Just like a classic whodunnit then.

Also, note the lack of the word "subvert", though that might be implied in "make something his own".

So, sure, I wasn't posting it so much as a review but more what sort of movie we might be hearing about soon.

Edited by Porthos

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, TMP said:

Johnson isn't a draw like Nolan, I don't know why this would do much more than Bad Times did.

On the other hand this film did not cost anywhere near what a Nolan films does.

Whoddunits seem to be staging a comeback in popularity;this could do well enough to make a good profit for everybody involved.