Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

33 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No goalpost moving at all. He has not been in a successful film in domestic box office outside marvel. sorry if it was ambiguous suggestion. Scott Pilgrim is a prime example of a commercial failure that gained cult status so I'm not sure what your point is with that one.

Gifted was successful - it did $25m dom /$43m WW on a $7m budget  from FS that only rolled out the release from 56 theaters to wide b/c it was successful.

NATM and Snowpiercer as said were financially successful and he's never had anything equivalent to a Hemsbomb

The biggest budget film Evans has ever done outside Marvel is Scott Pilgrim ($60m) in 2009 which he was in for about 5 glorious minutes.   No other film had a budget over $40m and several under $10m.  He hasn't made $100m+ plus films in between Marvel films b/c he was already making those (7 in 8 years - that's a lot as a lead) Instead in between he did indies and theater..

Even Knives Out isn't a big budget film - it's a $40m film. 

We'll see if he name gets more butts in the seats but even then it's an ensemble film where the combination of actors may be a draw more than any single one.

• Like 3

Knives Out is definitely "all-star cast" movie, so one actor cannot be either credited or blamed. It's like American Hustle, Hidden Figures or other movie with a bunch of known names that don't have to be draws on their own but have added value together. Also, concept is really big deal. Big names in a whodunnit grabs attention.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/tiff-2019-critics-survey-toronto-best-films-performances-parasite-adam-driver-1202174083/

TIFF 2019 Report Card: Critics Rank the Best Films and Performances

322 critics voted in the survey, which diverged from the TIFF People's Choice Award for the second year in a row.

BEST NARRATIVE FILM

Based on a ranked Top 3.

1. “Parasite” (10% of overall vote and 17% of first-place votes)

2. “Marriage Story” (9% of overall vote and 13% of first-place votes)

3. “Jojo Rabbit” (6% of overall vote and 8% of first-place votes)

4. “Knives Out” (6% of overall votes and 6% of first-place votes)

5. “Joker” (5% of overall votes and 5% of first-place votes)

These Top 5 alone account for 36% of all overall votes and 49% of first-place votes with all other narrative films in the lineup accounting for the remainder.

BEST SCREENPLAY

A single vote was cast for this section – percentages indicate the amount of the overall total vote each film received.

1. “Marriage Story” (20.57%)

2. “Knives Out” (14.87%)

3. “Parasite” (9.81%)

4. “Jojo Rabbit” (8.86%)

5. “The Two Popes” (4.11%)

• Like 3

Not going to lie, Rian's little blurbs with the character posters are getting me even more hyped up. This movie is going to be so much fun but I just hope the "shooting down white/American entitlement" stuff was more the critics forcing that out of the movie, rather than the movie itself being as preachy as the critics made it out to be.

www.standard.co.uk/go/london/film/rian-johnson-interview-knives-out-daniel-craig-a4232941.html

Knives Out's Rian Johnson interview: 'Anger is so much a part of 2019 – I wanted to laugh at it'

[excerpt]

“All of us, we’re caught up in this swirling mass of anger. That polarisation, which is so much a part of 2019, that’s what I wanted to put on screen, so we can laugh at it.”

The family in Knives Out contains both staunch conservatives and SJWs (social justice warriors). They row about the caging of migrant children. But, deep down, they have a lot in common. They suck Thrombey dry while pretending they’re autonomous and creative. And they struggle to treat his Latina nurse, Marta (Ana de Armas), as an equal.

Johnson says: “I’m poking fun at the side I’m on.” The family are based, very, very, loosely, on his own. “My grandfather came over from Sweden with nothing. He was always held up to me an example of the American success story. He’s in the home-building business.”

He adores his grandfather, who is still alive (“He’s a movie lover, a big Fellini fan”). Johnson’s point is that money corrupts because it’s so terribly useful.

“My grandfather bankrolled my first film. I was trying to raise money. I needed $400,000. And it just wasn’t happening. So he and some of my aunts and uncles invested in me. I very much come from a place of privilege and, not to get too heavy, I use it to interrogate myself”.

With the character of Marta he was trying to capture how “the help” get treated. “That invisibility in the midst of privilege, that’s drawn straight from life.”

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, ban1o said:

why does don johnson's character have the same last name as the father? This has confused me since I saw the character descriptions.... 

Guessing he took his wife's last name.

Edited by Orestes