Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

7 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It would be so nice to see an original movie of this kind deliver big numbers at the box office.

It has been a rough spot for them, even when I think this one will at least work even if it has near 0 change to go big (say The Nice Guys or for an other Daniel Craig Logan Lucky) after loving their trailers.

Murder on the Orient express did work really well, but that had one of the biggest best seller writter franchise of all time behind it.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It has been a rough spot for them, even when I think this one will at least work even if it has near 0 change to go big (say The Nice Guys or for an other Daniel Craig Logan Lucky) after loving their trailers.

Murder on the Orient express did work really well, but that had one of the biggest best seller writter franchise of all time behind it.

We'll see what Tuesday and Wednesday numbers are like but it shouldn't go low like TNG or LL. 

16 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Booked for Friday night! 

I was a bit alarmed to see the Age rating as a 12A here. Hmmm. 

Haven't read anything about it but I’m guessing it’s very light on any violence, threat or suspense.  

Me too!

Not too concerned about the rating. This looks to deliver more in the fun aspect, rather than anything too dark or mature.

It would certainly be a nice 'fuck you' to Johnson's critics who thought TLJ would kill his career if this went big. Talk about a quick turnaround. 

Yea, well, might not "kill his carreer", but it didn't help it any.  "Knives out" might do well at the box office, but it would have done better without the TLJ... and Rian's behavior since then.

I mean, as part of the marketing of knives out, he attacked fans who didn't like TLJ...  That doesn't help.

For the record, "Knives out" is the type of movie I would normally go see, and I will watch it eventually for free on a plane or something.  I just not going to support the box office of someone who keeps going out of his way to throw shade at people who didn't like TLJ (like me).

• Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 3

Critics and cinephiles are so bored with films and life that subverting expectations is good enough for them.

They are easy to please that's why Rian Johnson strives with these communities.

Parasite is cut from the same cloth as Knives Out.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cedec0 said:

For the record, "Knives out" is the type of movie I would normally go see, and I will watch it eventually for free on a plane or something.  I just not going to support the box office of someone who keeps going out of his way to throw shade at people who didn't like TLJ (like me).

I, too, let pointless grudges hamper viewing habits. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cedec0 said:

I mean, as part of the marketing of knives out, he attacked fans who didn't like TLJ...  That doesn't help.

They've been attacking him too for the past two years, so they can't really take the high ground (not all of them-just the ones who keep using those moronic nicknames for him).

5 hours ago, cedec0 said:

I just not going to support the box office of someone who keeps going out of his way to throw shade at people who didn't like TLJ (like me).

Throwing shade at people who didn't like his film isn't really that bad an offence compared to what other directors have done. Compared to Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner, Johnson's a saint.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

To be fair to Rian, he always distinguishes between constructive criticism and not-constructive criticism. His beef is with outrage crowd rather than anyone who eloquently gives solid arguments.

Criticizing Rian because of the final scene in TLJ could be considered constructive criticism. Criticizing Rian or KO because TLJ was filled with female empowerment will not be considered constructive criticism.