Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Will this be this years Bad Times at the El Royale and totally underwhelm at the box office (and IMO, quality wise)? 

I think this is more comparable to Murder On The Orient Express. I don't know which specific genre was BTaER but the marketing was kind of confusing(and so was the movie). I don't think it will be the same with this movie. 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, Neucentro said:

I hope Rian Johnson has made it a clever and sophisticated whodunit and not a goofy comedy like Clue or Murder by Death. Not saying those are bad movies but we have seen too much of them already.

Yes! I love Clue, but I’m hoping for a serious mystery film!

www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-joker-rocketman-knives-out-yesterday-ferrari-20190405-story.html

L.A. Times: ‘Joker,’ ‘Knives Out’ and three more 2019 movies we’re excited to see after CinemaCon

5. “Knives Out” (Lionsgate, Nov. 27)

Though he first broke out with the indie noir “Brick” in 2005, Rian Johnson has been playing in the big leagues for years. He directed 2017’s “Star Wars: Episode VIII — The Last Jedi” and has been tapped to write another trilogy in the franchise for Lucasfilm.

Despite those quite hefty commitments, Johnson took time last year to work on more of a passion project: “Knives Out,” a black comedy, whodunnit mystery with an all-star ensemble cast. As a “die-hard Agatha Christie fan” since he was a teenager, Johnson said he wanted to channel the author’s “sharply drawn characters, suspense, [and] humor” into a screenplay.

Jamie Lee Curtis, who leads the cast, accompanied Johnson to Vegas to describe the film as “a family gathering that turns bloody very quickly. These people put the ‘diss’ in ‘dysfunctional,’ which should play very well this Thanksgiving,” the “Halloween” star said.

The film is a mystery in which a family is trying to uncover how its patriarch (Christopher Plummer) suddenly dropped dead after his 85th birthday. LaKeith Stanfield and Daniel Craig — with a Southern accent! — are the investigators looking into the crime, while the family members are played by the likes of Toni Collette, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon and Chris Evans.

Evans especially looks like the one to watch here — newly free from his Captain America suit and looking quite comfortable cursing up a storm and playing against type.

Think “Clue,” but with a lot more style.

• Like 3

I’m not a big fan of Rian Johnson (not because of TLJ fyi before y’all jumping on me), but since he identified himself as a diehard Agatha Christie fan, and drawing influence from her works for this movie, I’m inclined to stan now.

• Like 1