Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

HOLY SHIT. Huge spoilers below but this could change meaning of the entire film:

Spoiler

Hide contents

Marta's lying disorder might be fake. I just read that Marta said to Harlan that she drank champagne so she can't play Go but we know that she didn't drink because we see her say that she doesn't drink when she's working. This means that she lied to Harlan and didn't vomit. Does that mean Marta has been behind the murder this whole time? This might go nowhere (because Ransom does admit to mixing up the Morphine and attempting to murder Harlan) but I really need to rewatch the film to just see if this theory works.

don't think that the point of the movie is that she's evil. It has always been that the family as a whole didn't deserve the money and she did for she really cared for Harlan. Also, she called 911 to save the old lady when she knew that could jeopardize her family. Also, I think that vomit disorder is for big lies not for small ones.

16 hours ago, MrPink said:

I don't recall seeing her really 'lead' a film before but she is fabulous in this. 

Worried that her role in Bond is gonna be a nothing role. But hopefully this is enough to get her more high profile roles.

She's co-lead in that Ben Affleck movie that was just set to be released next November FWIW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Hide contents

don't think that the point of the movie is that she's evil. It has always been that the family as a whole didn't deserve the money and she did for she really cared for Harlan. Also, she called 911 to save the old lady when she knew that could jeopardize her family. Also, I think that vomit disorder is for big lies not for small ones.

Spoiler

As I said, I think it defeats the message of the movie but still, something interesting to think about. 

And about her saving Fran, she would have died before the ambulance came as Marta herself said before (in fact IRL, a Morphine OD actually kicks in 2 minutes (not 10 like Marta says) after you take it) so there is no way her family could have been jeopardised.

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spoiler

Hide contents

As I said, I think it defeats the message of the movie but still, something interesting to think about. 

And about her saving Fran, she would have died before the ambulance came as Marta herself said before (in fact IRL, a Morphine OD actually kicks in 2 minutes (not 10 like Marta says) after you take it) so there is no way her family could have been jeopardised.

Ah, OK. I still don't think that she offed Harlan for Ransom admitted his crime, but I think that champaign lie may be an oversight on Rian's part unless vomitting is indeed just for big lies. Either way, good cath on your part. I think that, once the movie is seen in upcoming months, you can ask Rian about that on twitter. 

:)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Craig play Blanc again. Everyone's great in this.

Best character and actress by far of Knives Out was the

Spoiler

great grand mother

Some of Rian Johnson's finest work here.

Terrific stuff.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, Hatebox said:

It would certainly be a nice 'fuck you' to Johnson's critics who thought TLJ would kill his career if this went big. Talk about a quick turnaround. 

Johnson isn't a Zack Snyder type no matter what TLJ critics think. He is a real, very talented director.

If lorddemaxus loves it, then I have even more suspicions about its quality.

What Valonqar thinks about it? Did you watch it?

Interested in opinion from people who are not part of current american politics/FilmTwitter and have nothing to do with TLJ love/hate fandom. Appreciated.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

What Valonqar thinks about it? Did you watch it?

Interested in opinion from people who are not part of current american politics/FilmTwitter and have nothing to do with TLJ love/hate fandom. Appreciated.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

In that case please also put Parasite, The Irishman, Hustlers, and Ad Astra down on your list of "crappy films I will never watch" because they are the other 4 films that make up my top 5 of the year.

Honestly if anything I would be more suspicious about The Futurist loving this film.

Edited by lorddemaxus

12 minutes ago, Eric Plus said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm not joking. I'm interested in this one a little bit, mostly because of the cast and genre, but there are things I'm really concerned about, so looking for an opinion of unbiased folks. If FilmTwitter 2019 absolutely loves something, then I have big suspicions if it's actually good. Those people are worse than any toxic fandom.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

In that case please also put Parasite, The Irishman, Hustlers, and Ad Astra down on your list of "crappy films I will never watch" because they are the other 4 films that make up my top 5 of the year.

I loved The Irishman, didn't watch Parasite and Ad Astra yet. Hustlers...

Edited by Firepower

9 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'm not joking. I'm interested in this one a little bit, mostly because of the cast and genre, but there are things I'm really concerned about, so looking for an opinion of unbiased folks. If FilmTwitter 2019 absolutely loves something, then I have big suspicions if it's actually good. Those people are worse than any toxic fandom.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

• Like 2

This is amazing! Highly recommended! So much fun and Ana, Chris and Dan really shine. others don't register much for they play caricatures but the main trio is just great. Too bad this year is so packed but I'm hoping for some awards sneaks. Surely Original Script at least? The 3 actors should be in conversation too.

I love it that it wasn't a whodunnit in the sense that any of family members could be the killer. It was pretty obvious from early on that it was Ransom, when grandma called his name during Martha's sneakout. But the trick was how to prove it. 

I have a crackpot theory. Martha is the future Mrs Wayne, the mom of Bruce. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

This is amazing! Highly recommended! So much fun and Ana, Chris and Dan really shine. others don't register much for they play caricatures but the main trio is just great. Too bad this year is so packed but I'm hoping for some awards sneaks. Surely Original Script at least? The 3 actors should be in conversation too.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

But of course, it actually wasn't Ransom.  Harlan killed himself, just as we were told from the very beginning.  That was the real reveal.

5 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Hide contents

But of course, it actually wasn't Ransom.  Harlan killed himself, just as we were told from the very beginning.  That was the real reveal.

Spoiler

Ransom turned out to be a murderer... Just not who we thought at first. ;)

Also, if it wasn't for his manipulation of the bottles, Harlan would never have committed suicide, so he absolutely contributed to the death of Harlan.  

I bet Jack McCoy from Law and Order could nail him on murder charges for Harlan as well. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was honestly disappointed with this.  I think my expectations were too high.  The plot seemed way too obvious and Craig’s accent was distractingly terrible.  Everyone other than Craig hamming it up, I liked, but it just didn’t really work for me that well.  I did like the cast and the set decoration.  Kudos to the costume team for putting Chris in a sweater.  Otherwise just kind of okay for me.  Not awful or anything, but with all the praise at the twists in the plot, I thought there would be more of those.

Edited by sabrecmc