Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

https://deadline.com/2019/11/frozen-2-box-office-tuesday-november-record-knives-out-previews-thanksgiving-1202796248/

Lionsgate/MRC’s Knives Out is doing fantastic with a $6.2M Thursday, -26%, but expected to surge today with $11M-$12M. 5-day outlook is $44.3M, which exceed’s MRC’s previous original title Baby Driver‘s 5-day by 50%. Both pics have arguably similar production costs, Baby Driver with $34M and Knives Out for $40M. Another win for original pics after the launch of Fox/Disney’s Ford v. Ferrari, and Sony’s A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood isn’t looking too shabby, at this minute poised to come in ahead of Ford v Ferrari for the 5-day. Knives out continues to draw males at 52% with 73% of the audience over 25 and 46% over 35 years old. Diversity demos were 63% Caucasian, 14% Hispanic,  13% Asian/Other, & 10% African American. The Johnson ensemble played best on the coasts, especially in the West but was solid throughout.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 4

Boys, if I can refrain from posting at all because apparently me saying Chris Evans is a spoiler ( lolol @Porthos and I couldn't talk for a week cause of this) , you all can put vague references under spoiler tags.  Considering this a blanket warning.  Thank you.

On 11/28/2019 at 5:56 PM, lorddemaxus said:

HOLY SHIT. Huge spoilers below but this could change meaning of the entire film:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I don't think that means her lying disorder is fake because perhaps she only drinks on special occasions? it was Harlan's 85th Birthday party so it's very possible that she wasn't lying and she did have a drink that one night. 

and if it was fake, how can she vomit on command multiple times? 

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

That was the point. It's also why he's quirky and kind of incompetent. He was meant to be a satire of detectives like Poirot.

Yeah, I got what it was attempting to do, just didn’t think it did it well.  Then they literally called it out within the movie, so it was kind of lifeless satire for me.

I have to say, this was pretty damn fun. Nathan Johnson needs to be hired more often (his score really fit the film, and I'm definitely checking it out later), the sweaters, and to me it seemed like Craig was having fun with the role.

De Armas, though, does an amazing job. She is definitely going places.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Some of these theories make me think people are overthinking this one... It's simplicity is why it works. This isn't Gosford Park or Murder on the Orient Express. This is Clue or Murder By Death but with a thin layer more of thematic depth.

The later two aren't "simple" - they're parodies of the genre. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The later two aren't "simple" - they're parodies of the genre. 

Yes. This is also very much a parody. But, this gives you more real pathos and poignancy than either of those though. I guess I poorly worded that... I mean it as in the players here are essentially all caricatures here. Loud, screaming loud cartoons... Like Clue and Murder By Death. Doesn't require much investment outside of smiling, playing along and enjoying the ride.

Should be clear... I've seen it twice already. I'm a big fan of Knives.

My favorite comedy whodunnits are first two in the Thin Man series. Super glad to see Johnston bring this particular flavor of whodunnit back to the big screen.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1