Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

3 hours ago, Sam said:

Yeah that’s some nice numbers.

But where’s my update on sweater sales worldwide? 

https://www.aol.com/article/lifestyle/2019/12/23/get-the-look-sales-of-chris-evans-viral-knives-out-sweater-are-up-150-percent/23884516

Cork, Ireland-based Blarney Woollen Mills reported that sales of their Honeycomb Stitch Aran Sweater have jumped by a colossal 150 percent since the garment made its rather surprising big-screen debut.

A rep from L.L. Bean also told the outlet that sales of their two Irish Fisherman’s sweaters are booming. The Heritage wool sweater and the cotton Signature version are up 27 percent and 142 percent, respectively, compared to last year. 

https://www.irishpost.com/news/dublin-shop-inundated-orders-chris-evans-irish-aran-sweater-knives-175845

Speaking to the Irish Post, Laura Byrne from The Sweater Shop on Nassau Street in Dublin revealed they have been flooded with requests for this distinctive bit of Irish knitwear.

"We have been inundated with calls and online orders for the classic Aran sweater since Chris Evans wore it in his new film Knives Out,” she said.

“Customers can't believe how soft and cosy they are to wear."

A family run store, the Sweatershop have been supplying of authentic Irish Aran knitwear since 1986, growing their business into a global operation that delivers worldwide.

Stores are also trying to get in on the dog sweater market after the Dodger pics :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2019 at 12:53 PM, TalismanRing said:

Rian said he was initially looking for a soft lilt and Craig came out with this.  Don Johnson said when Craig unleashed it on the rest of the cast he then knew that no he wasn't going too broad in his own performance.

Craig said he based his accent on Civil War historian Shelby Foote - I think he overshot it just a bit :lol:

I'm tempted to provide a link to TV Tropes' "Reality is Unrealistic" page, because that accent sounds too extravagant to be real, yet it is.

• Haha 1

Jamie Lee Curtis becoming a hit magnet as she enters her 60s. You love to see it.

Her filmography for the last twenty years is shocking (her incredible performance in Freaky Friday excepted, of course).

I hope a prestige project lands her way.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 6:00 AM, WittyUsername said:

Ana De Armas might just be a rising star. 

She is, she's the new rising star in Hollywood along with Florence Pugh. Now she's going to play Marilyn Monroe in a biopic and in Spain we are very proud of her because she has dual nacionality

• Like 3

It's opening in Germany this weekend, and it might add another $7m there, maybe more if it develops great legs. There are also some smaller European markets opening as well, so maybe that could make it 10m if you add it on the German total. That leaves Japan, where it will open late January. I have absolutely no idea how it will fare there. Maybe that's another 10-15m or so based on how Murder on the Orient Express did there?

Not sure if the holdovers have enough steam to make up the gap to 300m, unless the domestic total goes quite a bit beyond 150m or Japan really surprises.

Yup. It's doing great! And I'm very glad that Jamie Lee's career revival with "Halloween" lead to this. Even though "Halloween Kills" won't pull similar numbers to it's predecessor, I still think it'll be able to gross between 150 and 200 million $ globally. That's 3 years in a row of having big box office hits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

I think 260-270 million $ globally is what we should hope for.

That sounds rather pessimistic to me. The movie is heading for 140-150m domestically at the very least. That means to reach your number the international total would only be 110-120m. The movie might already reach the lower end of that range from the holdovers alone. I think 130m internationally should be possible, if not more, depending on the legs.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a shame Lionsgate opted to promote Bombshell instead of Knives Out for awards considering how big of a smash hit this has been. Bombshell will actually end up as a flop I think. Reviews for this one are also infinitely better. If promoted well this could have won at least some Ensemble awards.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

It's a bit of a shame Lionsgate opted to promote Bombshell instead of Knives Out for awards considering how big of a smash hit this has been. Bombshell will actually end up as a flop I think. Reviews for this one are also infinitely better. If promoted well this could have won at least some Ensemble awards.

It's won and been nominated for a ton of ensemble awards  except the big one that counts - SAG - b/c reportedly Lionsgate was slow to send out screeners for it while heavily pushing Bombshell.  Considering that reviews and audience reaction were sky high after TIFF it's hard to understand why Lionsgate was seemingly left wrong footed.

• Like 1