Jayhawk the Hutt

Knives Out | Nov 27 2019 | 18th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Amazon Prime June 12

https://deadline.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-rian-johnson-knives-out-james-bond-25-star-wars-the-last-jedi-toronto-film-festival-auction-1202456539/

In a move that will surely swing some of the focus from awards season launches to the acquisitions market at this week’s Toronto International Film Festival, U.S. and foreign distributors will be bidding for Knives Out, a contemporary murder mystery that will star Daniel Craig as a detective assigned to solve the crime, with Rian Johnson directing.

Craig has committed to star in November, while his James Bond 25 film regroups following the exit of director Danny Boyle. Johnson, who wrote the script and is producing with partner Ram Bergman, will make the movie before setting off to direct a new trilogy in the Star Wars universe. Knives Out will be the first film he’ll direct since 2017’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which grossed over $1.3 billion.

The film is best described as a modern day murder mystery in the classic whodunit style, infused with Johnson’s original voice that informed films from Brick to Looper.

The film came out of nowhere before major buyers received the script last night and gave every indication this will be a fevered auction.

Johnson told Deadline he has been an Agatha Christie nut since his teens, sparking to her richly drawn characters and the twists and turns that drove her whodunits. For a decade, he has been framing in his mind how he would make his own murder mystery, and over the summer he scripted his contemporary version of the locked door mansion murder mystery.

Boyle’s abrupt exit from Bond 25 gave Johnson and Bergman an opening to pursue Craig, if he was up for squeezing in a movie before returning to his 007 franchise. When Craig sparked to the script and signed on, a hot package came together, just in time for the Toronto market.

So now we know RJ's SW follow-up. They will be selling the film at Toronto.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

https://deadline.com/2018/10/chris-evans-knives-out-daniel-craig-rian-johnson-captain-america-1202476235/

Chris Evans To Join Daniel Craig In Rian Johnson’s Red-Hot Murder Mystery ‘Knives Out’

EXCLUSIVE: As one door seemingly closes, another looks to be opening. I understand from sources that Captain America star Chris Evans is joining Daniel Craig in Rian Johnson’s red-hot murder mystery movie Knives Out

The casting bolsters the project’s status as one of the hottest in the works at the moment and follows MRC’s big money deal for it out of Toronto. As we previously broke, Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Johnson, who wrote the script and is producing with partner Ram Bergman, will make the movie before directing a new trilogy in the Star Wars universe.

Plot details on the film are largely being kept under wraps but the pic will likely shoot this year, meaning Craig will shoot it before Bond 25. It is understood to be a modern day murder mystery in the classic whodunit style.

The project is timely for Evans on the day that speculation is in overdrive about him hanging up his Captain America shield after playing the Marvel stalwart since 2011. Anthony and Joe Russo’s latest installment in the Avengers franchise will hit next year. Evans also has thriller The Red Sea Diving Resort coming up and he was set for Neill Blomkamp’s Greenland during Cannes. Knives Out is expected to be his next movie.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

This sounds great. As sad as it’ll be to not have him in the MCU anymore, happy he seems to be getting promising roles. 

There’s been a ridiculous number of articles about one tweet though. Annoying. 

Five hours later it's still trending on twitter WW - and the tweet wasn't even new information.  :ca:

Three movies and that TV series he's Exec producing and starring in for Apple - seemingly all in a row.  This looks to have replaced Greenland though or it's moved since The Devil All The Time and Defending Jacob are set for Feb & March.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This looks to have replaced Greenland though or it's moved since The Devil All The Time and Defending Jacob are set for Feb & March.

I'm hoping Greenland is just being moved... I want Blomkamp to keep making films, and I think he'd give something great to a disaster film. But nonetheless, I think it's awesome how Chris Evans' amount of opportunities is skyrocketing, thanks to Marvel.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Five hours later it's still trending on twitter WW - and the tweet wasn't even new information.  :ca:

It's almost like he's everyone favorite.

And as long as his schedule is clear for the Russo Banker Robber movie, things will be just gravy.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

What is the Banker Robber movie - when was this announced?  Are they directing or producing?

AGBO Nearing $1M ‘Cherry’ Book Deal; ‘Avengers: Infinity War’s Russo Bros Eye Directing

EXCLUSIVE: Joe and Anthony Russo’s upstart studio AGBO has moved into an exclusive negotiation for Cherry, the just published “novel” by first-time author Nico Walker. AGBO bid a $1 million outright buy for the Knopf book, which parallels the true life story of the author, a former Army medic who returned from Iraq with extreme un-diagnosed PTSD and fell into opioid addiction and began robbing banks. Walker was caught in 2011 and is scheduled to be released in 2020.

Been over a month and no confirmations, but The Russos are eyeing directing.

It's become a running gag with my friend and I.  Every time Evans announces a new project, we're like: "that's nice, but it's not the banker robber movie."

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

AGBO Nearing $1M ‘Cherry’ Book Deal; ‘Avengers: Infinity War’s Russo Bros Eye Directing

EXCLUSIVE: Joe and Anthony Russo’s upstart studio AGBO has moved into an exclusive negotiation for Cherry, the just published “novel” by first-time author Nico Walker. AGBO bid a $1 million outright buy for the Knopf book, which parallels the true life story of the author, a former Army medic who returned from Iraq with extreme un-diagnosed PTSD and fell into opioid addiction and began robbing banks. Walker was caught in 2011 and is scheduled to be released in 2020.

Been over a month and no confirmations, but The Russos are eyeing directing.

It's become a running gag with my friend and I.  Every time Evans announces a new project, we're like: "that's nice, but it's not the banker robber movie."

They're still doing A4 reshoots and are deep in A4 post production so I don't expect they'd announce anything until at least mid 2019.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2018/10/lakeith-stanfield-daniel-craig-chris-evans-knives-out-rian-johnson-movie-1202478255/

A hot package just got hotter. Sorry To Bother You and Atlanta star Lakeith Stanfield is joining Daniel Craig and Chris Evans in Rian Johnson’s murder mystery movie Knives Out, I understand.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

YES

Is this supposed to be out next year? The Michael Shannon dry spell sucks and needs to be over soon

he's soon in a BBC show directed by park chan wook (!!!) w/ florence pugh (!!!!) and he's doing a weird russian accent with a mustache (!!!!!)

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1