NickDisney13

1917 | Christmas 2019 limited, Jan 10 2020 wide | Universal | 19th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Pretty much the definition of ‘see on the biggest screen you can find’. 

The entire production made my brain hurt, I was so bewildered (in the best way) on how on earth they pulled this off. It’s a minor miracle and looks effortless. Just stupendously planned and executed to the point where you’ve just got to hold your hands up and go wow. 

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The entire production made my brain hurt, I was so bewildered (in the best way) on how on earth they pulled this off. It’s a minor miracle and looks effortless. Just stupendously planned and executed to the point where you’ve just got to hold your hands up and go wow. 

Kudos! You just described perfectly how I felt about the film as well. I felt and thought a lot of things but the dominant thing in my head was "How the hell did they do that??".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh and Mendes has the perfect sob story for the Oscar campain since this is the story of his grandfather who washed his hands dozens of times a day until the rest of his life because of what he went through in the trenches.

this is the easiest best picture and best director in the history of the oscars. Sir sam mendes!

hand it to this film. seriously. 2 hr film length, fair reasonable considering dunkirk was 90min, plus the epic scale of world war 1, 3rd best war film behind Saving private and dunkirk(which didnt debut during awards season) and this is debuting during awards season with little in the way of real competition apart from a arthouse foreign film(parasite) which will get the foreign film oscar.

Edited by Halba

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

Curious how international will play for a movie like this. Dunkirk made over 300M, can this reach something like 200-250?

In the UK, Dunkirk opened to £9.5M. (equivalent to a $100M open in NA)

1917 opened to £7.3M which is really not too far behind. Really amazing.

If similar was across Europe then that's a -25% opening which should enable it to get over 200M. Dunkirk did have summer for good legs but 1917 is in a great position right now and not much competition at all this month.

• Like 1

I agree with Tele:It's a good movie but not a great one.

I thought the gimmick worked pretty well, though, of course, Mendes cheated a bit.

It's the first film that showed how massive the Western Front Trench complexes really were.

But as a film on the western front in World War One both "All Quiet On The Western Front" and Kubrick's "Paths Of Glory" are better films.

My Historian quibbels:

The German Withdrawal that is the main McGuffan in the film did actually happen in the first months of 1917, but it was NOT to trick the British to attack. The Germans simply wanted to shorten their line and pulled out of a large salient they had in the Allied lines that they felt served no purpose.

One thing that was curious, when the "April 6th, 1917 " was flashed at the beginning of the film, my first though was "That's the Day the US declared War on Germany and entered the war" and thought that would be at least mentioned;it was not. I can't think that Mendes was not aware of the date, and would not be surprised if some references to the US entering the war did not end up on the cutting room floor.

One nice twist:

Spoiler

They build up that the colonel in charge of the attack is a glory hound who will sacrifice his own men in his thrist for glory, but turns out to be a decent officer who cancels the attack, and really did think his attack could break through and shorten the war.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Halba said:

this is the easiest best picture and best director in the history of the oscars. Sir sam mendes!

hand it to this film. seriously. 2 hr film length, fair reasonable considering dunkirk was 90min, plus the epic scale of world war 1, 3rd best war film behind Saving private and dunkirk(which didnt debut during awards season) and this is debuting during awards season with little in the way of real competition apart from a arthouse foreign film(parasite) which will get the foreign film oscar.

You have not seen enough war films, mate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wildphantom said:

SOmehow I think that  people going way mainly impressed by the visuals is not what Mendes had in mind whan he made this film.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

SOmehow I think that  people going way mainly impressed by the visuals is not what Mendes had in mind whan he made this film.

that’s not what I was left with primarily. 
yet people being impressed with how it looks and feels is the whole point. The entire task Mendes had was to put the audience in with the lads on a mission. Feel like you’re on the journey with them. To that end he’s wildly succeeded. 

16 hours ago, Halba said:

I take it you've not seen The Irishman? That's way longer than this, and it has a 6% higher RT score than this to boot!

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

This is hardly my favorite film of the BP nominees but I’d rather it win than that particular other movie that made a ton of money. 

Surely you'd favour The Irishman too! Since it took $0 :D