NickDisney13

1917 | Christmas 2019 limited, Jan 10 2020 wide | Universal | 19th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Because... The Academy loves gimmicks

it's not an easy gimmick to pull off either, especially for a movie like this. having to do an invisible cut every 10 or so minutes during all that messy mud and action scenes was probably hell for the crew. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

it's not an easy gimmick to pull off either, especially for a movie like this. having to do an invisible cut every 10 or so minutes during all that messy mud and action scenes was probably hell for the crew. 

I mean that's fine if it works. But I haven't ever seen the one shot gimmick work well. This "it was so hard to make" attitude is the same kind of crap that hack, Inarittu pulled during The Revenant's campaign to (undeservingly) win Best Director that year. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean that's fine if it works. But I haven't ever seen the one shot gimmick work well. This "it was so hard to make" attitude is the same kind of crap that hack, Inarittu pulled during The Revenant's campaign to (undeservingly) win Best Director that year. 

I haven't seen The Revenant yet but I thought it worked well enough in Birdman. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The one-take gimmick is getting praise the same way Birdman's did a few years back and just like that movie, people will end up thinking it's a gimmick.

If the worst thing that happens to the movie is some people thinking its style is a gimmick, I think most filmmakers (and studios) will take that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The Revenant was a fantastic film made by one of the great auteurs of our time.  Can’t say I get your complaint!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Panda said:

The Revenant was a fantastic film made by one of the great auteurs of our time.  Can’t say I get your complaint!

Inarittu is just a pretentious fart though. The Revenant is a film that tries so hard to mean something but comes off as hollow. You can very clearly see his cynical snobbishness all over that film. Moreso than Birdman or Babel. And another auteur who didn't whine about the horrible conditions he filmed in deserved the award more that year. Inarittu won the Best Directing academy award by being a baby.

Edit: Inarittu is certainly a talented director but he's also pretentious and elitist. It's pretty clear from both his movies and interviews that he's more focused on making "important" movies than ones that actually meaning something. Just with the Revenant, its pretty clear he cared more about getting beautiful shots than an actually beautiful narrative (instead the story we got was hollow, ugly, and bleak).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Whoever say one-shot style in Birdman is a gimmick must have forgotten that Birdman is a movie about stage play, and stage play have no cut, people act, dance and sing in one-take for stage play. The idea of one-shot in birdman is to highlight that no cut atmosphere of the stage play. Therefore, it is not a gimmick but a pure tool of storytelling to its theme     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I haven't seen The Revenant yet but I thought it worked well enough in Birdman. 

It had some thematic relevance like @titanic2187 and is brilliantly executed but its also entirely unnecessary. Like I said before, there are way more important things to care about (like actually having a coherent point) than something almost textural like this.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Inarittu is just a pretentious fart though. The Revenant is a film that tries so hard to mean something but comes off as hollow. You can very clearly see his cynical snobbishness all over that film. Moreso than Birdman or Babel. And another auteur who didn't whine about the horrible conditions he filmed in deserved the award more that year. Inarittu won the Best Directing academy award by being a baby.

Edit: Inarittu is certainly a talented director but he's also pretentious and elitist. It's pretty clear from both his movies and interviews that he's more focused on making "important" movies than ones that actually meaning something. Just with the Revenant, its pretty clear he cared more about getting beautiful shots than an actually beautiful narrative (instead the story we got was hollow, ugly, and bleak).

Sounds like you’re just jealous to me

• Haha 2

I have a feeling this will perform much better than expected. The technical prowess on display is extremely impressive even to the most jaded audience member. Combine that with the fact there is an underlying "gimmick" that hasn't been advertised to the general audience yet. This will end up performing like a pleasant surprise in a time where pleasant surprises thrive.

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

If there was snobbishness in The Revenant than I guess I must have just ignored it and watched the film at face value because I adore it! Beautifully shot and I love the setting. Performances were also on point too. I don't care for Inarritu the person for the same reasons you're talking about, but I'll admit I can't wait for what he does next.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I have a feeling this will perform much better than expected. The technical prowess on display is extremely impressive even to the most jaded audience member. Combine that with the fact there is an underlying "gimmick" that hasn't been advertised to the general audience yet. This will end up performing like a pleasant surprise in a time where pleasant surprises thrive.

A Zero Dark Thirty type of run of around $100M seems like a good bet tbh.

This is getting far away from 1917 but IMO the Revenant is a great story about revenge and the toll it takes on a person (not to mention the movie is for the most part exciting as hell). But as an in-depth look at living post-trauma and how that shapes you as a person later in life, it falls flat. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Panda said:

Sounds like you’re just jealous to me

Inarritu is a pompous ass tho. Maybe he should stop making "beautiful" films that aren't really beautiful and stop being a whiny baby. Not too much to ask for one of the greatest auteurs working today is it?

Also The Grey >>> The Revenant

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Beautifully shot and intense movie. The amount of anxiety I felt as I watched certain sections of the movie damnnnnnn. 

The cinematography is just absolutely incredible. I cannot stop raving about it. Deakins is a legend and this deserves to be seen on the biggest possible screen. The sound design as well is top notch.

If you're looking for a war film, this will definitely do it for you. 

• Like 2