NickDisney13

1917 | Christmas 2019 limited, Jan 10 2020 wide | Universal | 19th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

Yup, this is absolutely 😮😱 Believe the hype, Deakins is definitely coming for Oscar numero dos and Newman's score is utterly incredible...in so many ways it feels unashamedly like a response and contrast to DUNKIRK, similarly experiential and visceral and yet does everything that film chose not to do..more old-school in its structure and approach to character and ultimately, the boots on the ground POV just as immersive as the epic scope of IMAX there. Atmos + Dolby Vision really suck you in here - Dolby Cinema is the way to see this.

As easy it might be to get into arguments over which film is betrw they are ultimately, I'd say, companion pieces complementing each other almost perfectly. It's apples and oranges, different wars aside, they are ultimately different approaches to achieving this immersive experience. 

Cast is as good as you'd expect but again, it's all about the overall experience, intensity and craft. Though Though it does fall into the same 'issue' of the big names ultimately being not much more than glorified cameos, but the story isn't about them, it's about MacKay and Chapman and they are brilliant. 

A few other random thoughts:
- if it wasn't already obvious enough, Dolby Cinema / Atmos > IMAX 

- now we know why that second trailer was...like that
- if this isn't proof a DEATH STRANDING movie going all in on those fetch quests could kick serious arse..
- shades of Apocalypse Now
- again, Deakins and Newman just steal the show
- Oh, and, there's an image (because you can't really say shot lol) in this that's gonna generate so many OMG CINEMATIC PARALLELS MENDES WAS CLEARLY INSPIRED BY MARVEL tweets 😝

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

35 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

January OW record taken down ?

I'm still calling American Sniper the OW record, so no way. But even if you still say it's Ride Along or whatever, nah I still think this will max out at 30M opening.

Hell, BOPro says Dolittle will open higher than this :lol: 

I have a few problems with the trailer which may be cleared up in the actual movie.

A - "We have to send a message to the front" - Why not just telephone them, the front was fully wired up.

B- "If you fail there will be a massacre" - The generals in WW1 didn't seem to particularly care if soldiers got massacred, they actually shot those that refused to be massacred.

49 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I have a few problems with the trailer which may be cleared up in the actual movie.

A - "We have to send a message to the front" - Why not just telephone them, the front was fully wired up.

B- "If you fail there will be a massacre" - The generals in WW1 didn't seem to particularly care if soldiers got massacred, they actually shot those that refused to be massacred.

I wouldn't be too fearful of inaccuracies because the director Sam Mendes based this story around his grandfather's experience in WWI. That alone gives me confidence in the authenticity of the story.

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Looks like this is getting IMAX (though not until January 24, I'm guessing because of Star Wars contracts).

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/why-1917-deserves-an-imax-screening

Cool! Deserved.

I'm hoping the wide expansion on January 10 ends up being one of the biggest January weekends of all time, kind of like a mini American Sniper.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, AndyK said:

A. Phone wires were commonly cut by artillery fire in World War One. It was a constant problem. Communitions breakdowns were frequent because the phone lines were out. And a reason why the militaries between the wars switched to radios.. I am betting that the Phone lines have been cut is going to be mentioned in the film, I am sure Mendes did that much homework.

B.I am no fan of British Military Leadership on the Western Front,which was pretty bad, but that is really simplistic. 

I have some doubts about the film myself..I would  gone more in the direction of "Paths Of Glory" (IMHO the best film on the Western Front in World War One) rather then Saving Private Ryan but I am certainly going to see this.

Edited by dudalb

I guess it probably surprises no one that I’m not quite as high on this as some others. It’s good, for sure. I think it suffers from not really offering anything new, either thematically or technically. There are many, many other movies that show the rawness and randomness and terrible tragedy of war. There are several others that do the one-take thing. (And it’s worth pointing that even taken on its own terms, the movie very significantly breaks its “one take/real time” presentation.) There are moments that are so DUNKIRK-ian it feels like a Nolanite fan film. So, on the whole, it feels derivative. Mendes is a very capable filmmaker, so it works well, it builds to a nice emotional conclusion, but it doesn’t really do anything to really stand out distinctly on its own terms.

Technically it looks and sounds fantastic. Gonna be amazing to see on a PLF screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I guess it probably surprises no one that I’m not quite as high on this as some others. It’s good, for sure. I think it suffers from not really offering anything new, either thematically or technically. There are many, many other movies that show the rawness and randomness and terrible tragedy of war. There are several others that do the one-take thing. (And it’s worth pointing that even taken on its own terms, the movie very significantly breaks its “one take/real time” presentation.) There are moments that are so DUNKIRK-ian it feels like a Nolanite fan film. So, on the whole, it feels derivative. Mendes is a very capable filmmaker, so it works well, it builds to a nice emotional conclusion, but it doesn’t really do anything to really stand out distinctly on its own terms.

Technically it looks and sounds fantastic. Gonna be amazing to see on a PLF screen.

So Mendes ripped off Nolan again after Skyfall/TDK? Didn't know Sam was that big of a fan, lol

• Haha 1