NickDisney13

1917 | Christmas 2019 limited, Jan 10 2020 wide | Universal | 19th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

https://deadline.com/2019/03/sam-mendes-1917-nears-production-mark-strong-colin-firth-benedict-cumberbatch-more-join-cast-1202584246/

DreamWorks Pictures and Universal Pictures announced today that Sam Mendes’ 1917 will start shooting on April 1 on location in England and Scotland.

The film follows two young British soldiers (Captain Fantastic’s George MacKay; Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman) on a single day at the height of World War I.

Joining the two are Mark Strong (The Imitation Game, Zero Dark Thirty), Andrew Scott (Spectre, Sherlock), Richard Madden (BBC’s Bodyguard, Cinderella), Daniel Mays (Fisherman’s Friends, Rogue One), Adrian Scarborough (The Madness of King George, Christopher Robin), Jamie Parker(Harry Potter and the Cursed Child), Nabhaan Rizwan (Informer), Claire Duburcq, with Colin Firth (The King’s Speech, the Bridget Jones franchise) and Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game, Doctor Strange).

Mendes, who will direct and wrote the screenplay with Krysty Wilson-Cairns (Penny Dreadful) produces the film with Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road, Away We Go)—his partner at Neal Street Productions—along with Jayne-Ann Tenggren (Spectre, the upcoming The Rhythm Section) and Callum McDougall (Mary Poppins Returns, Skyfall).  Co-producing is Michael Lerman.

Also announced today is the pic’s creative team: cinematographer Roger Deakins (Blade Runner 2049, Skyfall); production designer Dennis Gassner (Bugsy, Road to Perdition); costume designer Jacqueline Durran (Anna Karenina, Darkest Hour); editor Lee Smith (Dunkirk, The Dark Knight); and composer Thomas Newman, who has created the scores for six previous Mendes films, including Skyfall, Road to Perdition and American Beauty.

• Thanks 1

The film follows two young British soldiers (Captain Fantastic’s George MacKay; Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman) on a single day at the height of World War I.

after his bond movies it's clear mendes liked the dark knight a lot but i guess now we know he was a dunkirk fan too.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

Sounds more and more like basically Mendes going 'hold my beer' to Nolan by the second:

Amblin is delivering at year’s end a much-whispered about Sam Mendes World War I movie “1917” which is supposed to be one long shot. “Immersive,” is what Langley called it. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/universal-wows-cinemacon-with-diverse-slate-from-hobbs-shaw-to-downton-abbey-cats-1202055654/

when san andreas did one of those showy tracking shots was around about the time i stopped being impressed with them. like if even brad peyton can do them it's not cool anymore guys. i would just hope it all feels motivated and not distracting.

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

when san andreas did one of those showy tracking shots was around about the time i stopped being impressed with them. like if even brad peyton can do them it's not cool anymore guys. i would just hope it all feels motivated and not distracting.

I got a joke here but ahem, a bit risqué ... so I won't.

I wonder if this is at all inspired by Robert Wenninger's short film Uncanny Valley... the film is experimental, but it's also about two men traversing through the hellish warzone of World War I. It's a pretty uncanny coincidence.

Passechdeale..aka 3rd Ypres, aka "Bloody Wipers" here we come.......

For those who slept through their history course, 3rd Ypres.in the fall of 1917  was one of the worst bloodbaths of World War One/ Doing a film about two British soldiers in that year, it's the obivious choice.

Edited by dudalb

At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (Captain Fantastic’s George MacKay) and Blake (Game of Thrones’ Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. 

Release date in the US back to Xmas limited, Jan 10 wide. Trailer (probably) tomorrow.