baumer

The Nun (2018)

Grade it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The Nun was forgettable and pretty laughable at parts. Didnt find it scary, the jumpscares were nothing but annoying. Taissa Farmiga was alright and the production values were solid. The lighting was good i guess. Still, not more than a 5/10, though not as shit as Annabelle 1. 

• Like 2

29% RT

Like Annabelle 1.  Don't believe in it, honestly (or don't want to believe). Suppose, critics just want to destroy some tentpole (cause they haven't a chance since February) and just found a victim.

Never believe that this is the same level as Annabelle.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

Really wanted to like it, and enjoyed a decent amount of it while watching it, but upon reflection, the movie fell pretty flat.

The opening sequence was pretty solid. Set up the story and the world nicely, and provided some good chills. Problem started when the film gave no reason to root for the main characters, and a lot of the twists fell somewhat flat. I like the idea of the other Nuns in the abbey being just a vision, as I like the whole "it was all being messed in your head" as long as that twist is executed properly. Being trapped within one's own mind and seeing things is absolutely terrifying to me, but that twist just was more of a "huh... neat..." from me.

Then the Maurice link to the first film. Personally, I was hoping Taissa Farmiga was going to turn out to be playing a younger Loraine, which would have required some clever writing to link this plot in smoothly with the other Conjurings. I shoulda seen the actual link coming, but I'll admit that I didn't so props to the movie for that. Having the French Canadian be the possessed guy from that scene in the first was a nice touch, and it in a way does tie everything together nicely, but it wasn't handled with enough "holy shit".

Other than that the scares weren't as good as some other films in the series. Felt like there was some good material here handled with a poor script and amateur filmmaking. Dome decent scares sprinkled here and there, but it was very Diet Wan. A haunted abbey should have been the setting for a truly great horror masterpiece, but it ended up as a throwaway setting for some cheap scares. I mean, look how much James Wan got out of the old cottage house setting of the first movie. I'm just imagining the potential in this if it was handled better from a filmmaking perspective.

I'm mainly poo-pooing on it because the potential is so obvious throughout the film. This isn't Slenderman level bad, or the Devil Inside. But it is only a bit of a step up from the first Annabelle. 

5/10

This was surprisingly not very scary. And the few little scares that do come are all from jump scares which is a let down after Conjuring 1 as this was my anticipated horror movie. 

To illustrate that, the friend with whom I went to see the movie was not scared much or at all. This is an easily spooked and scared guy. He had his eyes covered for much of Insidious 3. That speaks volume to me. 

First part is better than the second. There is more world building and focus on atmosphere and suspense whereas they go all out with jump scares in the second half. 

I also did not like the zombie nuns. I mean a ghost dies from a shotgun? WTF is that. 

And I prefer the ghosts to remain suspensful and largely unseen. Like how they did with Conjuring. Here however the main demon was front and centre in the end battle. For me it removes their effect, their scariness. 

It's a 15 minute movie stretched out over 2 hours.  Not scary, terribly paced and i had no real connection to the characters.  The problem with these kinds of possession movies is that the evil spirit is so powerful that it could kill anyone any time it damn well felt like.  But instead it throws people against the wall and then tries to drown people.  Why not just light them on fire or rip their heads off or kill them instantly.  It's just a bunch of hooey.

3/10

Loved the Conjuring films btw....hated this one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

It's a 15 minute movie stretched out over 2 hours.  Not scary, terribly paced and i had no real connection to the characters.  The problem with these kinds of possession movies is that the evil spirit is so powerful that it could kill anyone any time it damn well felt like.  But instead it throws people against the wall and then tries to drown people.  Why not just light them on fire or rip their heads off or kill them instantly.  It's just a bunch of hooey.

3/10

Loved the Conjuring films btw....hated this one.

The demon didnt feel like a real threat. More like...a bad prankster lol.

• Like 1

A gothic horror movie about an evil nun = brilliant idea. 

Everything else about this movie = total garbage. 

The fact that they're nuns is completely irrelevant and arbitrary. In the exposition-dump explanation of the mythology, we learn that some guy used to do witchraft where the convent is now built. Lol. Rather than making an evil nun the root of the mythology, it was some rando guy. The movie fails to use or understand what makes nuns such fascinating heroines and such frightening antagonists. 

Everything about it is bad: the scares, the performances, the pacing, the logic, the French comic relieft guy out of The Mummy, the lame Valak nun who is supposedly a mega powerful evil but can only hurl people against walls and needs to use her hands to strangle the heroine at the end. 

D-

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 1

I wish the story in The Nun was about the convent of nuns trying to ward off any evil after The Catholic Church had reclaimed it. I feel it would have allowed it to be a lot more creepy and creative in regards to lighting.

On top of this, it would have grounded the whole story more and given them time to really flesh out the character of The Nun, or Valak. I did not have so much of an issue with the background of the place, but I wish it had been explained or gone into depth more. This is why I wish the story of the actual film was pushed to the sequel, and the original story had been about the nuns subverting the evil before they realize they're in over their heads. This way, the sequel could pick up right before the beginning, when it is done to only so few nuns and they realize what has to be done. Then, this story could flowed and breathed a little better instead of trying to stretch it out over a whole film.

That is my opinion though, still some scenes stick with me. The Nun slowly moving down the corridor as it darkens more and more is such a great moment in horror in general to me. That is scary, and I wish the movie lived up to that potential.

Edited by Claire of Themyscira
  • Like 1