grim22

Weekend Thread | Preview #s The Nun 5.4M, Peppermint 750k

5.4 + 14 + 15 (+5%) + 9 (-40%) = 43.4

From Sat to Sun Annabelle dropped 45% in October and IT dropped 38% in september with a lot more going for it than The Nun, so I think around 40% is reasonable for the Sunday drop (Insidious 2 dropped 50% in Sept).

43 seems like a low end estimate to me with 44-47 likely, I wouldn't expect anything higher than 47 though.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Fallen Kingdom pretty much destroys any argument of audience scores mattering. 🤣 

Will argue that JW2 had lot of room to grow after an OW that dropped by 29% from predecessor. It's dom  gonna show a 36% drop from JW1's dom compared to say 26% of TA2 despite much better legs cause TA2's ow dropped by only 7.5% from TA1. Both sequels faced mixed reception.

Movie  OW  Multi Dom (diff from predecessor)

TA1  207.5  3.0x    623
TA2 191.3   2.40x  460  (-26%)

JW1 208.8  3.12x  652

JW2 148.0  2.82x  418 (-36%)

The urgency for JW2 was lacking, but it was an decent film in a unique genre. If it were a better film I think there was further room for growth.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

At the theater for The Nun. This starts in 5 minutes, and only six other seats have been sold. The show in an hour is at two seats. So yeah, not looking great.

just behave since everyone can hear everything you do in such an empty theater ;)

well it could be a case of horror films tend to do better at night time.  or people are just afraid of nuns in your area 😜 

• Like 2

Just now, 75Live said:

just behave since everyone can hear everything you do in such an empty theater ;)

well it could be a case of horror films tend to do better at night time.  or people are just afraid of nuns in your area 😜 

Idk. the morning show sold like 30 seats, which creation did last year too, but it didnt collapse THIS much in the afternoon lol. Trailers are about to start

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Idk. the morning show sold like 30 seats, which creation did last year too, but it didnt collapse THIS much in the afternoon lol. Trailers are about to start

have fun at the trailers and hope some don't stalk you as much as they have in the past ;) 

Edited by 75Live

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

At the theater for The Nun. This starts in 5 minutes, and only six other seats have been sold. The show in an hour is at two seats. So yeah, not looking great.

sometimes when I read your posts I think no one in Florida come to the theatre. Every time this "not looking great", that "not looking great"))

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

matinees are usually pretty shit for horror aren't they?

I remember seeing It for a Saturday matinee and there were only about 30 other people in there. Split I saw for a matinee as well and I think there were about 18 people total in there. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mhmm so you think it’ll have a small Friday number? 

Or do you mean this one matinee isn’t looking good lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Aren't you always complaining about all the old people in your neck of the woods?  Don't think old people are the demographic who rush out to see horror movies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Catty said:

Aren't you always complaining about all the old people in your neck of the woods?  Don't think old people are the demographic who rush out to see horror movies.

Or see horror movies period. Can you imagine if WB had attached the trailer for this before, say, Mamma Mia 2? lol.

• Haha 1

No prayers or miracles needed here: New Line’s The Nun is heading to the best opening yet for a Conjuring universe film with industry estimates at $46M for the weekend, $19.5M for Friday which includes that record preview take for the genre series last night of $5.4M.

No. 2 is between Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians in weekend 4 with $12M and STX’s Peppermint at $11.5M at this point in time. The latter is looking at a $4.5M Friday.

Freestyle Releasing’s faith-based drama God Bless the Broken Road meanwhile needs prayers if business is going to get any better, filing in with a less than $2M 

https://deadline.com/2018/09/the-nun-weekend-box-office-conjuring-records-peppermint-jennifer-garner-1202459068/

Edited by Taylor
  • Like 9
  • Astonished 1

First DHD Estimate,

‘The Nun’ Headed To Heavenly $46M, Record Opening For ‘Conjuring’ Franchise Film – Midday

https://deadline.com/2018/09/the-nun-weekend-box-office-conjuring-records-peppermint-jennifer-garner-1202459068/

No. 2 is between Warner Bros.’ Crazy Rich Asians in weekend 4 with $12M and STX’s Peppermint at $11.5M at this point in time. The latter is looking at a $4.5M Friday.

Freestyle Releasing’s faith-based drama God Bless the Broken Road meanwhile needs prayers if business is going to get any better, filing in with a less than $2M weekend at 1,230 locations. The movie was directed by God’s Not Dead filmmaker Harold Cronk with a script by Cronk and Jennifer Dornbush.

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 1

CRA would be 45%+ down from last 3-Day's 21.96 if Deadline's 12 early guess holds. Even if it comes in higher at ~14 (35% drop) it speaks to the high post LD drops.

Edited by a2k

The Nun SUCKED. There's a paper thin story with ineffective jumpscare setpieces.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Mhmm so you think it’ll have a small Friday number? 

Or do you mean this one matinee isn’t looking good lol 

My show ended up selling 15 seats total, and the one an hour later had 5 seats looking at the app. The one starting now is at 12 seats. Again, it did well in the morning, but afternoon shows have been pretty quiet. It's selling well tonight tho

42 minutes ago, Catty said:

Yes lol. This wasn't a very old audience; only about half of the 15 people were seniors.

2 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

sometimes when I read your posts I think no one in Florida come to the theatre. Every time this "not looking great", that "not looking great"))

It's been pretty quiet for the past two weeks outside of Crazy Rich Asians. Given that I live in an older skewing area, my theater will probably have pretty light crowds until A Star Is Born opens.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1