Ethan Hunt

BOT Revisiting: Top 25 movies of 2008 | THE COUNTDOWN - FINALLY COMPLETE

25. Hancock - 113 points

MPW-33159

Hancock is a down-and-out superhero who’s forced to employ a PR expert to help repair his image when the public grows weary of all the damage he’s inflicted during his lifesaving heroics. The agent’s idea of imprisoning the antihero to make the world miss him proves successful, but will Hancock stick to his new sense of purpose or slip back into old habits?

Our list kicks off with a superhero movie. Will it be out last one ?

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

24. Step Brothers - 124.5 points

step-brothers-poster-big.jpg

Brennan Huff and Dale Doback might be grown men. But that doesn’t stop them from living at home and turning into jealous, competitive stepbrothers when their single parents marry. Brennan’s constant competition with Dale strains his mom’s marriage to Dale’s dad, leaving everyone to wonder whether they’ll ever see eye to eye.

And now a comedy. (btw I'm gonna be keeping these brief because I haven't seen a good portion of these) But I kinda expected this one to be higher based on reputation 

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 6

23. Burn After Reading-127 points

burnafterreadingposter.jpg

When a disc containing memoirs of a former CIA analyst falls into the hands of Linda Litzke and Chad Feldheimer, the two gym employees see a chance to make enough money for her to have life-changing cosmetic surgery. Predictably, events whirl out of control for the duo doofuses and those in their orbit.

Well we love us some Coens don't we.

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

23. Burn After Reading 

When a disc containing memoirs of a former CIA analyst falls into the hands of Linda Litzke and Chad Feldheimer, the two gym employees see a chance to make enough money for her to have life-changing cosmetic surgery. Predictably, events whirl out of control for the duo doofuses and those in their orbit.

:gold: 

Really liked the first half, despised the dumb mean spirited unfunny rest.  Down there with Ladykillers and makes Intolerable Cruelty look tolerable by comparison.

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

23. Burn After Reading 

Too low.

• Like 2

22. Doubt- 136 points

doubt_2008_3732_poster.jpg

In 1964, a Catholic school nun questions a priest’s ambiguous relationship with a troubled young student, suspecting him of abuse. He denies the charges, and much of the film’s quick-fire dialogue tackles themes of religion, morality, and authority.

I'd never heard of this movie before doing this list. It's got a cool cast though

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 8

21. Get Smart- 137.5 points

2008-get_smart-5.jpg

When the identities of secret agents from Control are compromised, the Chief promotes hapless but eager analyst Maxwell Smart and teams him with stylish, capable Agent 99, the only spy whose cover remains intact. Can they work together to thwart the evil plans of KAOS and its crafty operative?

Well this is here. I don't remember it being particularly good but I guess we liked it as a community  

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

I took a Creative Writing class last Spring semester where we analyzed the playwright of Doubt: A Parable and compared it to the film version. I think the screenplay got very much of its source material right, and the cast members wrre perfect for their roles. I was urged to put it in my top five so I'm glad to see that it made the list!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I'd never heard of this movie before doing this list. It's got a cool cast though

I'm not even 25 yet why are you making me feel old. Why.

You'll know what it feels like when it's 2026 and some teenager's coming in here all like "I'd never heard of American Honey before this list. It's got a cool cast though"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm not even 25 yet why are you making me feel old. Why.

You'll know what it feels like when it's 2026 and some teenager's coming in here all like "I'd never heard of American Honey before this list. It's got a cool cast though" 

:bourne:

56 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

22. Doubt- 136 points

In 1964, a Catholic school nun questions a priest’s ambiguous relationship with a troubled young student, suspecting him of abuse. He denies the charges, and much of the film’s quick-fire dialogue tackles themes of religion, morality, and authority.

Not following Award season when you were 8 huh?

Studio: Miramax
Release Date: December 12, 2008
Domestic Gross: $33,446,470
Prod. Budget: $20 million
Running Time: 104 mins.
Genre: Drama
MPAA: PG-13 (thematic material)

Academy Awards Nominations

Actress: Meryl Streep
Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Supporting Actress: Amy Adams
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis