Ethan Hunt

BOT Revisiting: Top 25 movies of 2008 | THE COUNTDOWN - FINALLY COMPLETE

Ethan....thanks for doing this on short notice....but dude.....this is about as dry as it comes.  Can you spice it up a little?  Give us as little more info about the movie or something.  It just seems like you are uninterested in doing this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

Ethan....thanks for doing this on short notice....but dude.....this is about as dry as it comes.  Can you spice it up a little?  Give us as little more info about the movie or something.  It just seems like you are uninterested in doing this.

Yeah...frankly I don't think someone so young should be handling it if they weren't really old enough to remember that year or the story around each movie at that time. 

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like ABBA. I love musicals. You people have some low standards.

Preach it.

18 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Yeah...frankly I don't think someone so young should be handling it if they weren't really old enough to remember that year or the story around each movie at that time. 

I'm younger than Ethan, and I have a countdown in a month 😬I will make more of an effort than Ethan is with this at least. Keep in mind this wasn't even his idea; TOG had itfirst./

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I like ABBA. I love musicals. You people have some low standards.

LIIIIIIIES.  Meryl Streep is a [in Cher's voice] God Damn Oscar Winner, and she STILL was brave enough to commit to this:

It's the definition of it is so bad it transcends all space and time and morphs into a feeling of stardust.  Fucking MAGIC.  This is Camp at the HIGHEST LEVEL.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

LIIIIIIIES.  Meryl Streep is a [in Cher's voice] God Damn Oscar Winner, and she STILL was brave enough to commit to this:

It's the definition of it is so bad it transcends all space and time and morphs into a feeling of stardust.  Fucking MAGIC.  This is Camp at the HIGHEST LEVEL.

Agree to disagree. :lol: Camp works for me when a movie is The Room level of incompetent, or when it's knowing and fun. And there are moments of the latter in MM2, like Fernando. But the first one is just inadequate and cringey

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

16. Frost/Nixon- 159 points 

frost+nixon+movie+poster.jpg

For three years after being forced from office, Nixon remained silent. But in summer 1977, the steely, cunning former commander-in-chief agreed to sit for one all-inclusive interview to confront the questions of his time in office and the Watergate scandal that ended his presidency. Nixon surprised everyone in selecting Frost as his televised confessor, intending to easily outfox the breezy British showman and secure a place in the hearts and minds of Americans. Likewise, Frost’s team harboured doubts about their boss’s ability to hold his own. But as the cameras rolled, a charged battle of wits resulted

The Director of Solo: A Star Wars Story tackles the guy who did Watergate

• Like 6

I find it interesting how high Frost /Nixon is on this list. It goes to show that while there might be films that deserve a Best Picture nomination more than a certain film or two, the fact remains that the arguably undeserving film was able to be in the conversation at all for a reason, and the reason is that the film in question certainly isn't meritless.

15. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull- 172 points

indy4-poster-final-big.jpg

Set during the Cold War, the Soviets – led by sword-wielding Irina Spalko – are in search of a crystal skull which has supernatural powers related to a mystical Lost City of Gold. After being captured and then escaping from them, Indy is coerced to head to Peru at the behest of a young man whose friend – and Indy’s colleague – Professor Oxley has been captured for his knowledge of the skull’s whereabouts.

They nuke a fridge. It's fucking awesome 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

I find it interesting how high Frost /Nixon is on this list. It goes to show that while there might be films that deserve a Best Picture nomination more than a certain film or two, the fact remains that the arguably undeserving film was able to be in the conversation at all for a reason, and the reason is that the film in question certainly isn't meritless.

In 2008 Frost/Nixon wasn't the film most people thought was undeserving.  That would be The Reader.

Re watching it my biggest take away is that Langella should have won Best Actor - he's magnificent.   

• Like 2

14. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- 174 points

forgetting_sarah_marshall_movie_poster-4

When Sarah Marshall dumps aspiring musician Peter Bretter for rock star Aldous Snow, Peter’s world comes crashing down. His best friend suggests that Peter should get away from everything and to fly off to Hawaii to escape all his problems. After arriving in Hawaii and meeting the beautiful Rachel Jansen, Peter is shocked to see not only Aldous Snow in Hawaii, but also Sarah Marshall.

Rom Coms are great. We should bring them back

• Like 6

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Why does it not surprise me that The Indiana Jones Movie Everybody Likes to Pretend Doesn't Exist made this list lol.

Was kind of a blah year. Everyone had to put SOMETHING 15th, and this was as good a choice as any.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

14. Forgetting Sarah Marshall- 174 points

forgetting_sarah_marshall_movie_poster-4

When Sarah Marshall dumps aspiring musician Peter Bretter for rock star Aldous Snow, Peter’s world comes crashing down. His best friend suggests that Peter should get away from everything and to fly off to Hawaii to escape all his problems. After arriving in Hawaii and meeting the beautiful Rachel Jansen, Peter is shocked to see not only Aldous Snow in Hawaii, but also Sarah Marshall.

Rom Coms are great. We should bring them back

Wait, didn’t he know they were there? I thought part of the awkwardness was that, at the start, its clear to everyone Peter is essentially stalking them.

That movie has some terrific parts. Paul Rudd kills it, Kristen Wiig as the star-struck yoga instructor(“Its not a competition. Its not. But if it was, you’d be winning.”) the puppet musical at the end, and the musical lament “Peter you suck, Peter you suck, Peter you don’t do anything of value...” 

Its not a great movie, but its a really good one.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 10:42 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Pineapple Express is actively fine. Not one of my favorite Rogen films but still a good time

Pineapple Express is a weird movie. Its like half a pretty good stoner comedy and then suddenly is half a surprisingly dark and gory shoot-out action flick. Then it goes back to stoner comedy for the last 5 min.

Isn’t it pretty much the movie that launched Danny McBride’s career? That might be the best thing it has going for it. Red, the slightly scary, affable, oddly clingy, and completely unkillable drug dealer, was a genuinely good character. My head cannon says he was a minor supervillain who’s heart just wasn’t into it.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1