kayumanggi

CANDYMAN | August 27 2021

1 hour ago, Eric Robitaille said:

The thing people fail to recognize with test screenings, and production in general, is what it says on the can: they're tests. Even the smallest edits can drastically change a movie's quality, and movies go through many different forms and shapes before the final cut l. Hell, George Lucas can tell you that even the final cut will go through changes over the years. So nobody's "wrong" over early word on Candyman not being good or test screenings being poor. And for all we know, the guy saw the final cut and just didn't like it. And yeah, this stuff can be subjective.

And while it's fun to hear this kind of stuff, and I love hearing ViewerAnon's input on these movies, it's important to recognize that movies, up until the day they come out, are always changing and that you shouldn't take early word seriously or chastise folks for this.

Truth.

Never forget:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Angelica Jade, Walter Chaw, Robert Daniels, Kambole Campbell, Richard Lawson, David Sims (seems more just ok reaction than bad though). Even Matt Neglia was mixed about it (not that I care about what he thinks, but dude almost always gives movies positive reviews).

I’ve no idea who they are, but I’m guessing they are some of the few rotten reviews.

I’m confused as to how that results in you “hearing mostly bad stuff”?

93% of reviews are good and there have only been a few audience screenings. 

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve no idea who they are, but I’m guessing they are some of the few rotten reviews.

I’m confused as to how that results in you “hearing mostly bad stuff”?

93% of reviews are good and there have only been a few audience screenings. 

Mostly bad stuff from people I trust. Only critics I trust who seemed to really like it are Brian Tallerico and Siddhant Adlakha. Not sure what's hard to understand here. Why do you think I give a shit about what other critics have to say?

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Cruel Summer said:

how is ONE review concerning when it has 91% on rt

She’s a Black female critic and the film is about Black trauma and social issues and directed by a woman. I’m more interested in a voice like hers discussing the film than some basic white blogger on RT like Scott Menzel

42 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

She’s a Black female critic and the film is about Black trauma and social issues and directed by a woman. I’m more interested in a voice like hers discussing the film than some basic white blogger on RT like Scott Menzel

are you even black?

13 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

are you even black?

Why does that matter? That shouldn’t invalidate me from respecting what they have to say. If anything, being white means you should promote Black voices more lol. If critics of the audience the movie was made for and by don’t like it, I’m interested in that 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, the reaction from the black critics (the target audience for this) definitely seem lukewarm. WW84 situation incoming? Or is it close to Joker '19?

There's 8 rotten reviews out of 80.

6 of the 8 was write by non-black people.

Your statement sounds like an overreaction and no, there's nothing that suggests a WW84 situation.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why does that matter? That shouldn’t invalidate me from respecting what they have to say. If anything, being white means you should promote Black voices more lol. If critics of the audience the movie was made for and by don’t like it, I’m interested in that 

this is a freaking slasher. stop trying to hard to be woke

14 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

this is a freaking slasher. stop trying to hard to be woke

lol.. I take it you haven’t seen the original Candyman? Or the trailer for this? Or any Peele movie? The shock when you discover the film is an allegory about race, gentrification and involves police brutality 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

Whatever her other points are, calling the direction in Candyman pedestrian is laughable. There are stunningly staged sequences in this thing.

Yeh I wouldn’t bother reading into her review, the overall consensus points out the direction as one of the most impressive things about the film.