kayumanggi

CANDYMAN | August 27 2021

This film feels way too short, not enough horror scenes at all and when they happen they feel rushed, especially the ending. It ducks that’s loads of the death scenes are off screen or shot in ways that you don’t really see anything. Very well directed and acted but feels like a lot of stuff is on the cutting room floor. 
Also Universal needs to fire their trailer editors, this movie is extremely predictable mainly because so much of it is spoiled in the trailers.

the more i think about it the less i like it. they could have done much more with the kills

Spoiler

it just seemed oppotunistic and lazy to make him invisible and to have everything half shown. they could have done so much with the school bathroom scene and the blonde lady in her flat kills

As a huge fan of the original film, I thought it was great. It has an element of class and it’s beautifully shot. The ending is also extremely satisfying so I’m surprised to see people compare it unfavourably to other films. 

It has a twist I didn’t see coming, at all. I’m surprised I didn’t, but it paid off. Big time. 

4/5 

Some problems in the spoiler tag: 

Spoiler

I could’ve done with more scares. The dialogue with the couple in the museum was clunky. My main problem was no real use of Helen’s Theme. It’s just iconic Candyman. It’s what everyone thinks of, it’s haunting. And they don’t use it til the credits and they slow it down. Missed opportunity there. I didn’t see the main twist coming (the revelation in Anthony’s scene with Vanessa Williams). At all. So that was an amazing surprise. I’m actually shocked I didn’t click on lol

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

Helen's theme is iconic, but it's just that: Helen's theme. It doesn't really make sense to play it much here because the movie's not about Helen.

It played when Helen's 'story' was told, which was the right place for it.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Helen's theme is iconic, but it's just that: Helen's theme. It doesn't really make sense to play it much here because the movie's not about Helen.

Hide contents

It played when Helen's 'story' was told, which was the right place for it.

I could have done with much more of it. It’s so creepy and instantly gives me chills.  

Really liked this, very satisfying sequel to the original. While I get the issues some people have with the lack of scares, if you go back and watch the original, that’s exactly the same, it’s more interested in creating an unsettling atmosphere than it is in making you jump. The only really gory bit in the original is the psychiatrists office, the rest of the death scenes are handled similarly to the new one.

My partner hasn’t seen the original and she really liked it too, so it seems to work for people who haven’t seen the first (although you absolutely should watch it beforehand if you want to get the most out of it).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The fact that this is a sequel to a movie I have never seen is kinda killing all the hype I had for it.

It’s definitely fine to see it if you haven’t seen the original, it does a good job of recapping the first film in an organic way that doesn’t feel forced or leave you feeling than you’ve missed anything. That said, do yourself a favour and watch the original at some point, it’s great. I think it’s still on Netflix.

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Hide contents

I didn’t see the main twist coming (the revelation in Anthony’s scene with Vanessa Williams). At all. So that was an amazing surprise. I’m actually shocked I didn’t click on lol

Huh? How's that possible if you are a huge fan of the original?

Yahya's name Anthony McCoy is exactly the same as the baby's from the original. It was obvious from that alone that he played adult Anthony. I mean, the reveal was for the newcomers to the franchise but anyone who watched the first figured it out when the name was announced in the synopsis for the movie.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Huh? How's that possible if you are a huge fan of the original?

Hide contents

Yahya's name Anthony McCoy is exactly the same as the baby's from the original. It was obvious from that alone that he played adult Anthony. I mean, the reveal was for the newcomers to the franchise but anyone who watched the first figured it out when the name was announced in the synopsis for the movie.

I avoided everything. I hate being even remotely spoiled for any film, I don’t go on its IMDB until I’ve seen it. I was completely shocked when it happened. I’m so glad I didn’t already know. 

Also, that wouldn’t have been a “reveal” for newcomers to the franchise, because they wouldn’t know. 

29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yes the movie was made for newcomers.  I think it works two-fold. Oldcomers wonder 

Hide contents

what plan Candyman has with Anthony given that he tried to burn him alive as a sacrifice when he was a baby

while newcomers are just floored by the reveal.:)

I disagree. They won’t be as floored if they haven’t seen the first film.

But I’m glad newbies are enjoying it too.