NickDisney13

Harriet | Nov 1 2019 | Focus Features | Cynthia Erivo

This looked like Lifetime and to surprise of no one it is Lifetime. I hope Erivo misses out. Like many others in other places pointed out, there are better performances such as Lupita and Woodard who should get in over her. 

However, the category seems to be Renee's to lose. She's getting undeniable reviews. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

This looked like Lifetime and to surprise of no one it is Lifetime. I hope Erivo misses out. Like many others in other places pointed out, there are better performances such as Lupita and Woodard who should get in over her. 

However, the category seems to be Renee's to lose. She's getting undeniable reviews. 

Yeah Zellweger is the front runner. Universal praise for her performance coming out of the Judy screening.

Exciting anecdote:

I'm taking a special seminar class and I got to meet character actor Omar Dorsey, who plays a black bounty hunter that helps the confederates find missing slaves. He's a cool guy. He's worked with Tarantino and DuVernay, and he's been on shows like Ray Donovan and When They See Us. I previously had no idea there was a black bounty hunter against the slaves in this movie, so that makes this movie, like, five times more compelling to me.

I'm running out of reasons not to see Harriet. I'm concurrently taking an African American Film History class, and my teacher's talked with the class about Harriet. Now, one of the actors in Harriet comes to campus. I'm thinking, "I might as well see it now." Plus, while the people's feeling that it looks like a TV film is valid... It's not like the film looks particularly bad. It looks pretty enjoyable! And I'm sure Cynthia Erivo is great in it, too.

Tell you what. If this doesn't gross more than Race, the Jessie Owens film from 2016 (DOM: $19,206,207), I'll eat my hat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

Exciting anecdote:

I'm taking a special seminar class and I got to meet character actor Omar Dorsey, who plays a black bounty hunter that helps the confederates find missing slaves. He's a cool guy. He's worked with Tarantino and DuVernay, and he's been on shows like Ray Donovan and When They See Us. I previously had no idea there was a black bounty hunter against the slaves in this movie, so that makes this movie, like, five times more compelling to me.

I'm running out of reasons not to see Harriet. I'm concurrently taking an African American Film History class, and my teacher's talked with the class about Harriet. Now, one of the actors in Harriet comes to campus. I'm thinking, "I might as well see it now." Plus, while the people's feeling that it looks like a TV film is valid... It's not like the film looks particularly bad. It looks pretty enjoyable! And I'm sure Cynthia Erivo is great in it, too.

Tell you what. If this doesn't gross more than Race, the Jessie Owens film from 2016 (DOM: $19,206,207), I'll eat my hat.

I hope you enjoy it @SLAM!. I think it looks fine. My girlfriend wants to see it too so in all likelihood I'll be seeing it on the 1st or sometime that weekend. 

Definitely let us know your thoughts after seeing it!

• Like 1

Releasing in roughly 2,000 next Friday. Not bad. Not bad at all. I figured this would kind of open to little fanfare in 1,000-something theatres and pretty much be forgotten. I'm actually pretty surprised it's playing in so many more locations than Motherless Brooklyn.

• Like 1

Loads of interest in this one within my own social and family circles. It's too bad it's not getting more attention.

@ViewerAnon did you ever see this? What happened to this one? Is it another The Birth of a Nation in that it's a historical epic that just isn't that good?

Yes I'm aware of the other reasons people shit on TBoaN, before anyone @'s me.

Edited by JB33