NickDisney13

Harriet | Nov 1 2019 | Focus Features | Cynthia Erivo

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Wasn't ScarJo far more "all over Twitter" just a couple of month ago, for defending Woody Allen?

Great point. If the Academy wants to exclude actors who have made problematic statements, then I think both actresses need to be snubbed. They shouldn't punish one and let the other off the hook.

24 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Great point. If the Academy wants to exclude actors who have made problematic statements, then I think both actresses need to be snubbed. They shouldn't punish one and let the other off the hook.

Who's suggesting that they will or should do that? Once again, my point wasn't that Cynthia should be excluded, merely that she has received more attention for her comments than her performance. 

• Like 1

I'm really happy with the performance of this film! Earlier I commented on how it was getting no attention and suddenly it does a respectable $11.7M opening and receives an A+ cinemascore! Looking forward to getting the opportunity to see this.....if my theatre in Kamloops ever decides to bring it in. They had room for Arctic Dogs though...

Green Book ended up winning Best Picture just last year despite multiple controversies. If Erivo misses, it won't be because of controversy. I hadn't even heard of any controversy until it came up in this thread.

FWIW I saw it over the weekend and think she will be. She's really good in it, people are liking the movie (with that A+ CS), and she has a really good studio (Focus) behind her.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, filmlover said:

Green Book ended up winning Best Picture just last year despite multiple controversies. If Erivo misses, it won't be because of controversy. I hadn't even heard of any controversy until it came up in this thread.

FWIW I saw it over the weekend and think she will be. She's really good in it, people are liking the movie (with that A+ CS), and she has a really good studio (Focus) behind her.

Good to hear. Her performance seems captivating going by the trailer. Is the film as epic as it looks too?

Armond White just panned the film.

Not surprised; after all a Afro American Critic panning this film is sort of the ultimate contrarian shtick.

And that is now employed by a right wing website has a little to do with this too.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Good to hear. Her performance seems captivating going by the trailer. Is the film as epic as it looks too?

Not really. It's a biopic of the "basic highlights" kind but it's a well-made crowd-pleaser that avoids obvious sentimentality and it gets a lot of mileage out of the strong lead performance from Erivo alone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not really. It's a biopic of the "basic highlights" kind but it's a well-made crowd-pleaser that avoids obvious sentimentality and it gets a lot of mileage out of the strong lead performance from Erivo alone.

Sounds good enough to me. Thanks.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:55 PM, dudalb said:

Armond White just panned the film.

Not surprised; after all a Afro American Critic panning this film is sort of the ultimate contrarian shtick.

And that is now employed by a right wing website has a little to do with this too.

No it isn't, as there are other black critics who didn't like the movie and plenty of other black folks who don't even want to see it. Armond certainly enjoys being a contrarian but panning this movie is hardly proof of that. 

• Like 1

Looking at a good boxoffice drop this weekend. Should finish between 40 to 50 million. Power of great WOM and A+ Cinamascore. I also noticed that even after a week the film still has a 97 RT audience score. Get that oscar nod queen Cynthia. Happy people are loving this film.

Edited by Curtis1986

On 11/4/2019 at 7:46 PM, filmlover said:

Yes Green Book winning despite its trash narrative is all the evidence we need that even worse movies like Harriet have a chance at the Oscars. No one ever suggested otherwise. 

Green Book was good

Should probably just clarify that I intended this comment, rather than a push against people who didn't like Green Book, but rather as my own opinion of the movie. Whether you think something else should have won BP last year due to a more 'timely' narrative or historical accuracy etc. (all of which are valid criticisms) the movie on its own is a well-told, well-crafted narrative that, while it doesn't 'solve' the problem of racism (which I always thought was a ridiculous argument against the movie anyways since no one movie is ever going to solve racism) is an accessible vehicle to touch on themes of prejudice and hate, and is a great story about the building of a friendship. And in a world where too many people share the hateful opinions that some of the Green Book characters had at the beginning of the film, and the fact that these people would simply refuse to watch a movie like Blackkklansman, it's important to have a movie like this to hold up to people today as a lens to see just how ridiculous some of their beliefs are/can be and how easy it should be to let go of hate. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Erivo is really good, but the film is really on Hallmark quality level. I'd say she's a lock for a nomination, which will be the film's only nomination. Honestly, I'd rather see her or Woodard being nominated than this nonsense over Lupita. Yes, it's a good role, but along with Peele, she is also very, very overrated. It's easy to dominate a poorly written film, which "Us" definitely is. It doesn't lack visuals, but screenplay... Same goes for "Harriet", except Erivo is a way more serious actress in a better role.

17 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

Erivo is really good, but the film is really on Hallmark quality level. I'd say she's a lock for a nomination, which will be the film's only nomination. Honestly, I'd rather see her or Woodard being nominated than this nonsense over Lupita. Yes, it's a good role, but along with Peele, she is also very, very overrated. It's easy to dominate a poorly written film, which "Us" definitely is. It doesn't lack visuals, but screenplay... Same goes for "Harriet", except Erivo is a way more serious actress in a better role.

I'm not even a big Lupita fan but the fact that she isn't a lock for a nomination in the same way Phoenix is considered a lock is both telling and predictable. The same applies to why Cynthia now looks like the favorite for the token black nomination. The idea that Harriet is a better role or that Erivo is a way more serious actress is laughable to me. She's in an awards friendly movie and a familiar role, re: black actors and what voters are willing to reward. It's that simple.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

I'd say she's a lock for a nomination, which will be the film's only nomination.

It has an even better shot in Original Song than she does in Actress tbh (either way she gets to attend the ceremony since she would almost certainly be asked to perform).