Litio

Predator Killed By Audience - $24m OW, TN $18.2m, ASF $16m, WBR $8.8m || Weekend Thread...PLEASE SEE BAN HAMMER ANNOUNCEMENT ON PAGE 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

According to Grace Randolph, Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick should head to streaming because A Simple Favor didn't do well at the box office. 

:hahaha:

I thought she was going to say those two should be headlining the Birds of Prey movie as Canary and Huntress. 

• Like 1

I hope this is the nail in the coffin that ends Predator for good. None of the subsequent installments have been good. 

I truly believe Shane Black has secretly loathed the original for all these years and wanted to effectively kill this franchise.

This movie was worse than AVP and AVP: Requiem. At least Requiem has a cool Predator creature in it. And none of this hybrid DNA BS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

No. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys were very good. Iron Man 3 was decent too. The Predator is the only creative misfire for Black in decades, so that's not too bad, he'll make another good movie and will be alright.

They were okay.  Iron Man 3 is not decent,  it's pretty bad.   The Last Boy Scout is better than all of that by a mile. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

What’s with BOMs report on A Simple Favour??

”now we’ll see if it either barely scrapes $30m or eventually reaches $40m”.

Theyre expecting a multiplier potentially as low as 1.8x? Wth. 

September multipliers are on the lower side...but not that low. I mean, it's not even a sequel which would typically make it more first weekend frontloaded so it's hard to see a multiplier that low (1.8x). Viewer feedback isn't weak on it either so far.

Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
January 2.88 2.66 July 3.30 3.22
February 2.81 2.73 August 3.22 3.00
March 3.02 2.89 September 2.87 2.75
April 2.76 2.65 October 3.02 2.75
May 2.95 2.82 November 3.43 3.23
June 3.13 3.01 December 5.45 4.76
all (1025 movies) 3.21 2.93
excludes 2018 releases
highest month in blue; lowest month in red

numbers from top opening domestic earners (2008-2017) as of August 16, 2018

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

September multipliers are on the lower side...but not that low. I mean, it's not even a sequel which would typically make it more first weekend frontloaded so it's hard to see a multiplier that low (1.8x). Viewer feedback isn't weak on it either so far.

Yeah that will it go just over 30m or reach 40m seem like a line written if the movie would have ended in the very lower end of the first 13-15m tracking.

Why a movie like that would not reach 2.5x mutli and maybe have a shot to 50m, the question seem much more will it barely scrap 40m or will it get to 50m.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Yeah that will it go just over 30m or reach 40m seem like a line written if the movie would have ended in the very lower end of the first 13-15m tracking.

Why a movie like that would not reach 2.5x mutli and maybe have a shot to 50m, the question seem much more will it barely scrap 40m or will it get to 50m.

Yeah. Here's everything new opening between $17M and $15M since 2008 in September. The lowest was $39.3M. The highest was $55.7M.

Title Studio Opening* % of Total Theaters Average Total Gross^ Date**
American Made Uni. $16,776,390.00 32.70% 3024 $5,548.00 $51,342,000.00 9/29/17
Righteous Kill Over. $16,288,361.00 40.60% 3152 $5,168.00 $40,081,410.00 9/12/08
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole WB $16,112,211.00 28.90% 3575 $4,507.00 $55,675,313.00 9/24/10
A Simple Favor LGF $16,050,000.00 100.00% 3102 $5,174.00 $16,050,000.00 9/14/18
Dolphin Tale 2 WB $15,873,397.00 37.80% 3656 $4,342.00 $42,024,533.00 9/12/14
Lakeview Terrace SGem $15,004,672.00 38.20% 2464 $6,090.00 $39,263,506.00 9/19/08
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

"American Made only opened to $16.7M in its OW despite getting great reviews? Tom Cruise needs to start listening to offers from streaming services."-Grace Randolph logic 

Well, Kendrick's next movie is going to straight to streaming.

• Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, Nova said:

"American Made only opened to $16.7M in its OW despite getting great reviews? Tom Cruise needs to start listening to offers from streaming services."-Grace Randolph logic 

Randolph is good at the business side of things, but a terrible film critic. She is unable to distinguish between genres and to manage expectations. How can she compare A Simple Favor to Bridesmaids??

Edited by Xavier

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't see what's funny about it..  actually I do.  The Last Boy Scout is fucking hilarious and the last time Shane Black wrote anything that was funny.  

If you ignore Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and the Nice Guys

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

Her take was the other way around, for him to make movies that are less in competition with Netflix offer (in this case Narcos season 3 having been just released and maybe explaining with the under 25 was so incredibly thin on AM):

" Did the famously eternal Cruise finally started to age ?.... No ! he just made bad movies, people will likely go see him in the next Mission Impossible, Top Gun 2 / Edge of Tomorrow 2 should all work really well a the box office"

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I seen her tweet about it “underwhelming” when it literally beat tracking lol

I mean I get the sense if you wanted it to breakout or maybe expected it to breakout because of good reviews and Paul Feig then yea it could be seen as "underwhelming," but generally speaking (personal expectations aside), it beat its tracking and its going to be a profit for the studio. So its anything but underwhelming in that regard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Randolph is good at the business side of things, but a terrible film critic. She is unable to distinguish between genres and to manage expectations. How can she compare A Simple Favor to Bridesmaids??

More than a terrible film critic, she's completely clueless about the box office side of things. The usual reason why she's the butt of many warranted jokes around here.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I think she used bridesmaids as an example because of Paul Feig. But she compared ASF to three female led comedy movies that were marketed as such. As far as I know, ASF was marketed as "the darker side of Paul Feig," and looked more like a thriller than a comedy. If the film is actually a comedy and not a thriller well then the marketing didnt accurately capture the tone of the movie even though imo the marketing was very clever/interesting....for a thriller. 

21 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I relate to her professor(ology) as a free spirited math enthusiast gone film

Edited by dXairdryZid