Litio

Predator Killed By Audience - $24m OW, TN $18.2m, ASF $16m, WBR $8.8m || Weekend Thread...PLEASE SEE BAN HAMMER ANNOUNCEMENT ON PAGE 2

Let's say that ASF gets the same multiplier as Girl on a Train, which had a 19.9X from previews to weekend number, it will make about 19.7 million for the weekend.  Not saying it's going to happen, but it is possible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, diddykongracing128 said:

Ah yes, like those high review scores for A Wrinkle in Time, a Disney SJW piece...oh wait, it got mediocre to negative reviews. Guess those damn checks didn't go in.

Also, we're really going to argue that Ghostbusters got high scores? Obviously the film has its fans, but a 74% on RT and 60 on MC basically translates to a general consensus of "yeah, it's pretty a'ight I guess."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Loomis baumer said:

Let's say that ASF gets the same multiplier as Girl on a Train, which had a 19.9X from previews to weekend number, it will make about 19.7 million for the weekend.  Not saying it's going to happen, but it is possible.

I think people need to wait and see what the Friday number is tbh before judging its weekend. Even before this Thursday number came in, it was pretty obvious that its previews weren’t going to be all that high when the majority of its sales were being bought for the rest of the weekend. Whether that translates to a good weekend multi is yet to be seen obviously but people are so quick to write off a film just off of a Thursday preview number. Let the Friday numbers at least come in. And not just for ASF but for The Predator and White Boy Rick. White Boy Rick has been having strong sales on Fandango as well. I still think it can hit $10M based off of them. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW the Munn controversy didn't help, but I think the weak reviews and unenthusiastic marketing campaign were the real killers for The Predator. Also doesn't help that, like the Terminator and Alien franchises, it's just played out and in need of perhaps a permanent sabbatical.

Also those are solid numbers for A Simple Favor and White Boy Rick. Both movies are likely skewing older so high teens and high single digits, respectively, are likely. 

It's interesting that Predator has never been that successful especially when you compare to similar franchises. I do agree that perhaps it needs to be rested for a very long time. 

8 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

We've now heard from the loser but we haven't heard from the winner on this prestigious event? @Litio 

:apocalypse:

Thank you all. This is an unique moment in my life and I'm extremely touched. Do not give up on your dreams and you will achieve them as I did. Thank you for this oportunity, @sfran43

VKJOdWZGJ10aY-eyp91njBfg_bscYsxO39GsFoUp

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Ive said that in another thread, but i also think that Predator as a brand is just not a draw (anymore). Yeah, people love or like the first movie, but what came after that was mediocre at best (Predator 2 definetly has its fans though). Some older franchises can be successfully revived, but some should maybe just be allowed to rest.

• Like 1

The reason I consider ASF #'s somewhat disappointing:

Yes, it will probably make more money for its studio than Predator. Sure, I wish Predator was more of a success than it looks like at the moment, but ASF had all the ingredients to make it one of those surprise hits; a premise that would appeal to older crowds, stars that are very big with younger adults, and reviews that can only help the film. Its pre-sale numbers were large as well, which means it really came close to being a break-out. Films like this don't get as much attention, with big budget fare like Predator, or franchise installments like The Nun dominating media attention. I like it when the box office is more spread out, and ASF doing big numbers would really contribute to this. 

I guess WBR could have the same thing said for it too, but its reviews didn't help, nor does its star appeal to multiple generations (sorry, but Matt doesn't have the same pull with teens as the cup song or sisterhood of the travelling pants) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Predator can work fine as a medium budget franchise. Unfortunately they let this one's budget balloon to 88m which is too high for a movie like this

I'm guessing they put all of their faith in Shane Black.

Looks like he's striked out at the box office yet again unfortunately. Though judging by the reception of this movie, it's probably unlikely that it'll find the following that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys did after they came and went from theaters making little noise.