Crunching the Numbers: May the Fourth Be With Your Films

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

This reminds me of something. @Spagheditary @cookie

Hide contents

I forgot to add Gobi 😫

Cookie's Corner's Preliminary Review of The Odyssey: We Don't Rip Off Marvel Movies, We Just Steal Their Titles Instead!

No Gobi movie bad Wolverine shame on you

2/10

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Peisistratus finds a chair lying on the ground. He attaches four knives to end of the chair, creating the ultimate weapon. 

Some straight-up Macguyvering here

Thought it's about as much the ultimate weapon as Scroop's floating frisbees were battleships :Venom:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Suddenly, an ax head breaks through a slab on the door. Penelope grabs a knife from under her bed, holding it towards the door. The swings stop as Antinous peers his eyes through the cracks of the door. He greets the two women before going back to hacking at it.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Peisistratus finds a chair lying on the ground. He attaches four knives to end of the chair, creating the ultimate weapon. 

Some straight-up Macguyvering here

Thought it's about as much the ultimate weapon as Scroop's floating frisbees were battleships :Venom:

tenor.gif?itemid=5624378

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

There are a few bold things about this film. The first is of course the sudden jump to an R-rated frenzy of gore, profanity, and sexual debauchery. It is a jarring shift, but as a major theme of the film is the darkness swallowing Ithaca as its people stray further and further into the material excess of the suitors, it makes sense that almost all of the characters find themselves slowly infected by the taint until the great purging finally comes. Speaking of purging, the third act climax is in a number of ways 300 without the cartoon stylism.

Which brings me to the other big bold thing about this film: It holds back the urge for setpieces and action for over 2/3 of the movie. Aside from a couple bits, namely the scene where Poseidon plays in his bathtub with Odysseus the Human Rubbery Ducky, the film waits, and waits, and waits, instead focusing on the political drama and the character tension, until it finally explodes forth all of the built-up anticipation into gallons of blood. I do not envy the cleaning staff who had to clear up that location at the end of it all.

The final cut of the film is a bit improved over the test screening, as the filmmakers went back to beef up the roles of a couple characters and give them more of a satisfying arc.

For a film series which had a deathly stuffed slog of a first film, it has pulled a 180.

Spoiler

9.2/10

• Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING

There are a few bold things about this film. The first is of course the sudden jump to an R-rated frenzy of gore, profanity, and sexual debauchery. It is a jarring shift, but as a major theme of the film is the darkness swallowing Ithaca as its people stray further and further into the material excess of the suitors, it makes sense that almost all of the characters find themselves slowly infected by the taint until the great purging finally comes. Speaking of purging, the third act climax is in a number of ways 300 without the cartoon stylism.

Which brings me to the other big bold thing about this film: It holds back the urge for setpieces and action for over 2/3 of the movie. Aside from a couple bits, namely the scene where Poseidon plays in his bathtub with Odysseus the Human Rubbery Ducky, the film waits, and waits, and waits, instead focusing on the political drama and the character tension, until it finally explodes forth all of the built-up anticipation into gallons of blood. I do not envy the cleaning staff who had to clear up that location at the end of it all.

The final cut of the film is a bit improved over the test screening, as the filmmakers went back to beef up the roles of a couple characters and give them more of a satisfying arc.

For a film series which had a deathly stuffed slog of a first film, it has pulled a 180.

Reveal hidden contents

tears-of-joy-gif-5.gif

(Also I ran out of likes for the day. Fuck 😫)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BLUE AND GOLD

I wasn't entirely sold on making the characters high-schoolers, but it works well enough (though Jake T is a bit old to play high school these days). Some of the comedy is a bit oversold, but the absurdist takes and trans-era teleportations are usually handled with aplomb. Overall it is a fun and entertaining time, I think there is good bit of room to grow and develop this franchise going forward. 

7/10

• Like 2

CAN YOU IMAGINE?

I believe we can.

It's a funny, sweet, and creative movie with lots of energy and passion. There's a few chunks in the middle where the pacing feels a bit off, kinda sputtering, but it ties back up together in the final stretch. I was a little surprised that voice actor and actress Kyle/Jennifer didn't also voice Kickoff/Judy as part of representing the most idealized version of themselves to Ethan, but I get what the film was going for. It's a very good kid offering that will also have a good amount to draw the adults in as well, as it touches on plenty of things grown-ups can relate to with the mid-life crisis and all. Endless Animation seems to be starting to find a groove.

8/10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, 4815162342 said:

So I will take some additional requests for 1st Half films. Everyone gets one additional request, again not a film you wrote.

What about a film you co wrote?

If not then Earthsong.

• Like 1